SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Only One Telescope!?

Sunshine

Everyone will have there own version of the 'one scope'. For my it's a 250mm tracking Dob, which is why I have one. It has decent light grasp, resolution, high power, low power. It's also portable and not too heavy.

SCTs and refractors are only about 2/3 of the way there. The SCT cannot do widefield and the refractor doesn't have light grasp.

• Like 4

33 minutes ago, ScouseSpaceCadet said:

Ed's statement 12:42 minutes in is probably the most important of the video. 👍

“It’s not about the equipment, but the experiences we have with them and the people we meet” 

gospel.

• Like 3

57 minutes ago, Mr Spock said:

Everyone will have there own version of the 'one scope'. For my it's a 250mm tracking Dob, which is why I have one. It has decent light grasp, resolution, high power, low power. It's also portable and not too heavy.

I agree with that...mines not GOTO but its on a EQ Platform which tracks nicely for longish observing :thumbsup:

1 minute ago, callisto said:

I agree with that...mines not GOTO but its on a EQ Platform which tracks nicely for longish observing

Given the issues I have with a 'clucky' RA drive, I wish I'd gone with the EQ platform option :unsure:

• Sad 1

For me it would be the largest dob that's minimal hassle, e.g. light and easy for me to move around, solid tube with practically zero setup. That's currently my GSO 10 inch dob. I really like the simple but effective base on it. Optically, my unit's okay but not the best, I'd love to move to an almost as light 12 or possibly 14 solid tube with better optics. Its weakness for me is it's not the best option for solar.

For solar I'd take my trusty ED100, a Herschel wedge and a solar H-alpha filter. I'd pick it over my ED120 as it's got enough resolution for my taste on solar and I like its light weight, even though it's quite a long scope (F9).

Edited by Luke
  • Like 1

Interesting to hear Ed's views on this.

For me, and assuming that would be "it" for the rest of my life, it would probably be a high quality 8 or 10 inch F/6 dobsonian with excellent mirrors.

Edited by John
  • Like 4

Great video from Ed Ting. There’s of course so many factors to consider that will point to what’s best for us. These factors can easily change as time passes, I’ve listed few of these -

Age and physical ability.  Of course finances. Low tech to high tech, or the reverse if the technology is a pain in the derrière. The shift from observing to imaging or the reverse. Where we live. Who we live with. Local light pollution. The realisation that we have accumulated so much kit that rarely gets used, so declutter, sell off most of it and simplify your astronomy for the better.  So much more…..

Ed (not Ting)🙂

• Like 3

Considering I’m only interested in visual I’d agree with most above. Biggest quality solid tube dob I can use without too much hassle. Hard to beat a dobsonian when you get so much more aperture for your money. 

if I was into AP also that would complicate the issue rather a lot. Probably have to go with a mid sized refractor in that case. 

• Like 2

If I can only have ONE telescope?

I already have it. My Tak FS128. 

I've thought for years that my ideal "one size fits all" scope is a good 5" refractor.

This choice wouldn't suit everyone, but for my preferences the Tak is perfect. I really like:

High contrast, pin sharp images of whatever I look at..                                        

Observing double & multiple stars, and bright star clusters                                         

Excellent resolution on major planets and the Moon                                                     

The ability to "cut through" often sub-optimal sky conditions                                  

Relative portability and ease of mounting & handling     

When I bought the Tak 4.5 years ago, after many years of buying and selling various scopes, I knew I had  bought my personal "Forever Scope" - and I feel just the same now.

I may buy and sell other scopes in the future..but, barring unforeseen circumstances, I will never buy anything to replace it.

Dave

Edited by F15Rules
  • Like 9

For the life of me I cannot star hop I get totally mixed up I had my 150p on the EQ3-2 mount for 18 months and was going to give up as I could not find anything, a few will remember M81 and M82 and the double cluster debacle. 

Otherwise I would love a biggish dob 14" say.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, F15Rules said:

If I can only have ONE telescope?

I already have it. My Tak FS128. 

I've thought for years that my ideal "one size fits all" scope is a good 5" refractor.

This choice wouldn't suit everyone, but for my preferences the Tak is perfect.

Dave

I couldn't agree more!  The finest all round visual refractor I ever owned wasn't my FS152, it was my FS128. The perfect combination of size, optical quality, and portability. There was a big jump in performance from 102 to 128mm, but surprisingly not so great a jump between 128 to 152mm. The 128 was carried nicely by a GM8 and even a GP with a strong tripod, but the 152 needed at least a G11 mount to do it justice, so not really grab and go. The FS152 was drastically undermounted on the EQ6 below.

The FS128 at Huddersfield astro society ready for the transit of Venus, June 8 2004. The mount, the best I've ever owned, was the Lozmandy made Celestron G11 equivalent. (Better than my Lozmandy G11).

1321943540_2016-04-2612_17_19.thumb.jpg.1b6434649a5ffce14cd2dc3aaa39d17b.jpg

My FS128 on a Vixen GP and a solid Peter Drew tripod.

1482173652_2021-02-1915_46_23.jpg.d1bd96a65e8edca0b0160210d2d56543.jpg

And finally my FS152 on a tremulous EQ6. Not a good match!

DSC_0483a.jpg.f2ade1303846ca5f4a6a5851bd462466.thumb.jpg.41ac38ed8d8e6e20033c851251cd99bb.jpg

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Probably my 130 mm f/7 TS Photoline. By suitable choice of reducer / flattener and camera I could get semi wide-field and enough resolution for galaxies, though I still love my ODK.

Of course the GTC would be quite nice, and might come on the market when the E-ELT comes online. :evil4:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

For me depends on the environment the scope is in, so if I moved then I'd select a different instrument.
If I didn't have to acclimate the scope and always had great seeing then a Mewlon (smoothes mirror compared to some SCT's) on a goto mount would be great. However I have a short time to view, seeing is poor too great and I have to take the scope the mount very time I go out or in. So for now a 5" APO is the best trade off. Some point in the future when I can wheel barrow out a larger mirrored scope I'll look at then. 

If you look at Ed's videos, he is partial to a C9.25 when he has a large range of APO's and Dob's to choose from. My money was on his C9.25, however given how much the Dob costs why not.

Edited by Deadlake
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, wookie1965 said:

For the life of me I cannot star hop I get totally mixed up I had my 150p on the EQ3-2 mount for 18 months and was going to give up as I could not find anything, a few will remember M81 and M82 and the double cluster debacle. 

Otherwise I would love a biggish dob 14" say.

Thing is Paul, a newt in an EQ mount is about the worst combination for star hopping really. Upside down view with the RA/Dec movement is quite tricky to master. A dob is much easier, being Alt/Az, or a refractor on an Alt/Az mount, the latter is what I find best for star hopping.

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, Stu said:

Thing is Paul, a newt in an EQ mount is about the worst combination for star hopping really. Upside down view with the RA/Dec movement is quite tricky to master. A dob is much easier, being Alt/Az, or a refractor on an Alt/Az mount, the latter is what I find best for star hopping.

I will have to try someone`s dob at a astro meet or a refractor on a Alt/Az mount see if I can do it. I even bought a upright correct view finder and still got lost.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Stu said:

Did the newt on an EQ star hopping tragedy for a short while but it always ended up with me crying and questioning my IQ.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Sunshine said:

Did the newt on an EQ star hopping tragedy for a short while but it always ended up with me crying and questioning my IQ.

Indeed! Even a refractor on an EQ is challenging, my brain doesn’t function in RA/Dec! An EQ for planetary or lunar tracking is great, but for star hopping? No thanks :)

• Like 2
  • Haha 2