NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Dob is out

faulksy

7 minutes ago, PeterW said:

Very empty field, hopefully nice and peaceful and dark. Any info on that nifty sun/light shade you got there??

Peter

Hi Peter. Yes it's a silver side roof protector for a tent. Trying to keep the heat off it 👍

Tonight is supposed to be good here, came down at 4.15am went outside there was Gemini, Auriga, Orion, Hyades and the Pleiades all in a row with Perseus above.

Got my binoculars out had a look around for 5 minutes then the view changed thin cloud then thicker cloud I could only see Betelgeuse looked towards the horizon and fog was everywhere just shows how it can change in a matter of minutes.  

• Like 1

Sorry for the late reply .😁

Was hoping for 2 great nights but only the one to report. Which was Monday

Sky was very transparent.  Air temperature 13*

Average sqm 21.4 certain parts went to 21.41

First natural target the gas giants 😝 I know it's a dark sky but Heather wanted to look.

Wow so glad we did my highest power ep is the 5mm pentax (480×) oh my. The detail on Jupiter was amongst the best ever. Showed a few passers by and they really couldn't believe what they were looking at. Just wish I had a 3.5mm now.

Next Saturn. Same again cassini was incredible black and so obvious.  Fantastic. 

Next all the usual suspects now. The ring at 480x oh wow. People were saying about the colours and how it looked like a smoke ring.

Dumbell stunning view nice to see stars in front of the apple core or through it.

Usual clusters coming up. M13 at 480x is amazing.  The prop showing up well. 

The veil un filtered and filtered both spectacular in the 21e never seen so much filaments coming off it. Just nebula everywhere. No maroon colour though ?

Cresent nebula. Proper looking like a brain. Looks brilliant cradled in stars.

Next off you might laugh but m31  (and companion galaxy's )was the best i have ever seen it. This really blew me away. The dust lanes are so massive and the detail was incredible 

Next up m51 you could see the cores and hints of spiral arms but quite merky in that part of the sky. Usual galaxy's of course m81,82 101 but sky was getting a bit milky 

Cleared a bit to see m45 mepore but it was now 4 AM .

So packed up and went to bed. Very happy

Enjoy and dark skys 

• Like 16

Great couple of pics and report! Amazing how much power you managed to use. I only ever get to about 230x on M13 and it starts to look fuzzy. A dark sky really does help make all the difference.

For some reason the top pic of your dob reminds me of a steam train with coal tender!

It's just the shape in general I think!

• Like 1

I don't need a big dob I don't need a big dob keep saying it Paul the urge will go away. 

Wow I've only ever seen M51 through Damians scope that was amazing never seen it from home in any of my scopes I have had including the 8" 

I would have loved to to have seen those sights, then again perhaps that urge I want to go away would of intensified. 

Great to read Mike sounds like a great night. 

Edited by wookie1965
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, wookie1965 said:

I don't need a big dob I don't need a big dob keep saying it Paul the urge will go away. 

Wow I've only ever seen M51 through Damians scope that was amazing never seen it from home in any of my scopes I have had including the 8" 

I would have loved to to have seen those sites then again perhaps that urge I want to go away would of intensified. 

Great to read Mike sounds like a great night. 

Awesome Paul. Get a big dob mate 🤣

• Haha 1