Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

NEW StellaLyra Dobsonian Telescopes

10 hours ago, paulastro said:

You have probably lost the will to live after having read this reply, as I did when I read your response to my original question - which I thought was pretty straight forward! 

Apologies for misunderstanding your question. I wasn't expecting a question about TS Newtonians. I thought you probably meant Newtonian optics in TS Dobsonians that relate to the StellaLyra Dobsonian telescopes being discussed. 

10 hours ago, paulastro said:

I asked specifically about the optical quality,  nothing else. All I wanted to know was how the optics of the TS OTAs optics compare with the other manufacturers.  Just a general comment on how good you think the TS optics are would have been sufficient.

Apologies again. 

Johninderby is right, TS Newtonians use mirror-sets manufactured in Taiwan by Guan Sheng Optical (GSO). I am confident they are at least equal to the Chinese-made mirror sets used by Sky-Watcher and Bresser. 

HTH, 

Steve 

12 hours ago, FLO said:

Apologies for misunderstanding your question. I wasn't expecting a question about TS Newtonians. I thought you probably meant Newtonian optics in TS Dobsonians that relate to the StellaLyra Dobsonian telescopes being discussed. 

Apologies again. 

Johninderby is right, TS Newtonians use mirror-sets manufactured in Taiwan by Guan Sheng Optical (GSO). I am confident they are at least equal to the Chinese-made mirror sets used by Sky-Watcher and Bresser. 

HTH, 

Steve 

Many thanks Steve, thats very useful.  Absolutely no need to apologise though.  Together with John's post that's all I needed to know 😊.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I reckon a 12” is probably on the list for next years acquisitions. Trade up the skywatcher 250. 

2 inches more aperture, better f ratio and by the time you’ve replaced all the junk stock parts on the skywatcher you’ve paid for the stellalyra…. No brainer. Nice one @FLO

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Sargares said:

I reckon a 12” is probably on the list for next years acquisitions. Trade up the skywatcher 250. 

2 inches more aperture, better f ratio and by the time you’ve replaced all the junk stock parts on the skywatcher you’ve paid for the stellalyra…. No brainer. Nice one @FLO

My thoughts exactly. 👍

With the recent massive price increase by SW on their dobs they aren’t such a good buy anymore. They used to be a good buy but not now when you can buy far better equiped dobs for a similar price. 

Edited by johninderby
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, johninderby said:

With the recent massive price increase by SW on their dobs they aren’t such a good buy anymore. They used to be a good buy but not now when you can buy far better equiped dobs for a similar price. 

Very true, as I paid £299 for my 200P,  just as lockdown was about to begin (Feb 2020).

Edited by Ian McCallum
typo

1 hour ago, johninderby said:

16 minutes ago, Ian McCallum said:

Very true, as I paid £299 for my 200P,  just as lockdown was about to begin (Feb 2020).

400quid on eBay for 8-10” SW dobs at the moment. And all the risk of buying telescopes on eBay! 

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, Ian McCallum said:

I was the same, £296 I think which has proved to be good value, I’ve only added the lacerta dual focus to mine. 

With their new pricing though, I’d have almost certainly bought the new Stella Lyra 8” if I was buying now. Looks a fantastic bit of kit with all the right upgrades. I almost wish my SW dob kind of fell to pieces so I could buy one. 😅

• Like 2

• 2 months later...
On 10/08/2021 at 17:30, johninderby said:

As they are made by GSO it should be possible for some retailer in North America to order similar spec scopes. 

I just looked at their 10 inch dob ....it's a dead ringer for my Orion Skyline.  

On 13/01/2022 at 15:11, cajen2 said:

@FLO Hi folks. I'm looking at upgrading to the SL 8" Dob this year. Any idea at all as to when you might get one/some in stock?

Another shipment is enroute. ETA at our warehouse is early-mid Feb. 

HTH

• Thanks 1

@cajen2 The SL 8 inch is a fine instrument and I love mine - you’ll enjoy it. I do find I use the Heritage 150p way more though - I’m not sure if you are upgrading to replace your Heritage or complement it, but for my money it could be worth holding on to the Heritage and using that for quick grab and go sessions when those elusive gaps in the clouds appear (and as a travel scope perhaps) and having the SL for longer sessions when that ~ 78% boost in light grasp will really help! Your set up and plans might be different though. 

Edited by Astro_Dad
Typo

35 minutes ago, Astro_Dad said:

@cajen2 The SL 8 inch is a fine instrument and I love mine - you’ll enjoy it. I do find I use the Heritage 150p way more though - I’m not sure if you are upgrading to replace your Heritage or complement it, but for my money it could be worth holding on to the Heritage and using that for quick grab and go sessions when those elusive gaps in the clouds appear (and as a travel scope perhaps) and having the SL for longer sessions when that ~ 78% boost in light grasp will really help! Your set up and plans might be different though. 

It's a thought, AD.....

My problem is I was counting on selling the Heritage to finance the SL, plus I'm pretty sure that SWMBO wouldn't wear two large scopes in the house!

I know some people don't mind the Heritage's focuser, but it's beginning to get on my nerves.....a two-speed Crayford sounds like heaven!

Edited by cajen2

8 hours ago, cajen2 said:

It's a thought, AD.....

My problem is I was counting on selling the Heritage to finance the SL, plus I'm pretty sure that SWMBO wouldn't wear two large scopes in the house!

I know some people don't mind the Heritage's focuser, but it's beginning to get on my nerves.....a two-speed Crayford sounds like heaven!

That’s fair - there’s an argument  that if I only had the larger scope I’d use that every time and maximise its use, but I can’t bring myself to sell it.

The helical focuser is an interesting thing - the PTFE tape mod absolutely does work but it has generally taken me several attempts to get right - there is a definite knack to it. I’ve found that starting to wind around the thread at the non eyepiece end and securing that prevents the shredding that can happen otherwise. Then experimenting with how the whole thing screws back into the main socket to get the optimal grip. I’ve got it sorted now and works well - but I’ve got through a fair few reels of tape in the process!! 

I have the SL 10 inch, as I've mentioned elsewhere on this forum and originally I was worried that I'd use my Heritage 150p much more because of the hassle of moving the big dob.

In practice, the opposite has happened - the whole experience of observing is so much better with the SL (proper focuser, RACI finder plus add-on Rigel, smoother base etc, not to mention better resolution and light grasp) that I hardly use the 150p now. The SL is a big thing, however and I'm lucky that my super-tolerant wife is ok with it sitting in the lounge.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Orange Smartie said:

I have the SL 10 inch, as I've mentioned elsewhere on this forum and originally I was worried that I'd use my Heritage 150p much more because of the hassle of moving the big dob.

In practice, the opposite has happened - the whole experience of observing is so much better with the SL (proper focuser, RACI finder plus add-on Rigel, smoother base etc, not to mention better resolution and light grasp) that I hardly use the 150p now. The SL is a big thing, however and I'm lucky that my super-tolerant wife is ok with it sitting in the lounge.

This is great to hear @Orange Smartie - especially as the 10” is quite a size/weight.  There’s always a different angle! Mine is also in the lounge and is being well tolerated - luckily they look the part! 😀 +1 for the Rigel - essential for me alongside the RACI. 

• Like 1

Interesting. Mine will only be the 8", plus I'm still fairly strong despite my advancing years (I'm 6'4"). So I think I won't have too many problems deploying it.

I'd also decided to use a Rigel, although I tried one with the 150 and it didn't work (electrics) and so had to be returned. I think with a Rigel to give a rough location, the RACI to centre and my 30mil Vixen NPL, I should find it much easier easier to star hop.

• Like 1

I’m another that has nothing but good things to say about the Stella Lyra Dobsonian (8”). I have also got a 127 Maksutov Go to. What I did with my Dobsonian was bought a sack trolley and fitted longer rubber feet on the base. This makes wheeling it around a piece of cake. I mainly use my Maksutov for the planets and the SL Dobsonian for everything else. You will be very happy with your purchase.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1