SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

NEW StellaLyra Dobsonian Telescopes

5 hours ago, Ricochet said:

Is the problem the rocker box itself or is the flex in the axis? If it is the former fitting some braces at the joints will probably stiffen things up.

It's the box. Just 'wobbled' it as a test. It's probably an easy fix - it's only wood after all 😜 

1 hour ago, Mr Spock said:

It's the box. Just 'wobbled' it as a test. It's probably an easy fix - it's only wood after all 😜 

If there's only one part of the scope that needs improving, the chipboard rocker box is the bit you want it to be. 🙂 

On 22/02/2022 at 10:08, Ricochet said:

The closer an object is to you the further out the focuser has to be to focus. Needing to use the extension during daylight but not at night indicates that you set up your scope during that day using a target that was too close. As a result of this, there would have been significant parallax between the scope and finder, hence it not being aligned at night. 

Found the problem. On the RACI finder, there's a threaded collar which locks the helical focuser. I found both the collar and focuser almost immovable so couldn't achieve focus. A spot of WD-40 and both are now rotating freely. An odd problem to have with a brand-new finder.

• 2 weeks later...

Just had my first look at the moon. Part of my report:
"The sharpness and contrast of this scope is staggering. I've just been viewing at x447 is if it were x200. Huge amount of detail on the floor of Atlas. Also some of the tiniest craters I've seen. Absolutely spanks the C9.25 I had"

This scope is a keeper. I'm usually very critical and it takes a lot to impress me. I'm impressed! I'm having right now the kind of lunar views I've always wanted 👍

• Like 4

"The sharpness and contrast of this scope is staggering. I've just been viewing at x447 is if it were x200. Huge amount of detail on the floor of Atlas. Also some of the tiniest craters I've seen. Absolutely spanks the C9.25 I had"

This scope is a keeper. I'm usually very critical and it takes a lot to impress me. I'm impressed! I'm having right now the kind of lunar views I've always wanted 👍

Hmmm… I can feel my flexible friend getting excited. Must resist! Might put it on my birthday list (which is next month) and hand it to my wife. Although history has shown that something of this value & fun is immediately discarded. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, Mr Spock said:

Sounds great Michael very encouraging. Have you done a star test both sides of focus ?  That can often show what kind of figure youve got

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Mr Spock said:

I used the 16" about 6 months ago. Startling views of the witch's broom. It's big though - you can't move it without help. If you had it on some kind of trolley it would be fantastic. 

I would suspect Orion will probably pick them up on this side of the pond.  If they do I would consider one in a hot second.  I would like to see a slightly bigger finder scope, at least a 9x50 or better 

7 hours ago, Mike Q said:

I would suspect Orion will probably pick them up on this side of the pond.  If they do I would consider one in a hot second.  I would like to see a slightly bigger finder scope, at least a 9x50 or better

The one I used had an 8 or 9 x50 RACI. As it's a GSO I'd expect to see them come your way soon.

The one I used had an 8 or 9 x50 RACI. As it's a GSO I'd expect to see them come your way soon.

Off the top of my head I thought it said 8x50.  I would swap it out for a illuminated 9x50.  I did send the picture to Orion and went....hey....look here.  I hope GSO makes an even a larger model maybe up to a 20 inch.  Now that would be the bomb

• 1 month later...