Narrowband

NEW StellaLyra Dobsonian Telescopes

2 hours ago, JeremyS said:

Am I correct in thinking that to remove the OTA, you simply need to lift it off the base, I.e. don’t need to unscrew anything (like I have to with my SW 150)? Thus the whole OTA, plus bearings and bearing housing comes off as a unit?

It’s a good mechanism Jeremy. You just loosen the tensioning knobs, and lift the OTA off using the same knobs as handles. Refitting is just the reverse, the only thing you need to make sure of is that the two metal saddles are the right way up so the slot in correctly. Easier to do than to describe!!

• Thanks 1

On 11/08/2021 at 15:31, Stu said:

It’s a good mechanism Jeremy. You just loosen the tensioning knobs, and lift the OTA off using the same knobs as handles. Refitting is just the reverse, the only thing you need to make sure of is that the two metal saddles are the right way up so the slot in correctly. Easier to do than to describe!!

Also to make things easier when lifting its useful to add additional handles on either side of the OTA but closer to the focuser. I have also added a further handle lower down to carry the OTA only down the garden.

These StellarLyra Dobs are a brilliant addition to the range of scopes that FLO provide. My Revelation 12" Dob is identical accept its white and its been brilliant is finding numerous DSOs.

I quite fancy getting the 8" 😁

• Like 2

On 11/08/2021 at 13:03, johninderby said:

Must stop looking at that 16” dob. 😁

Ha ha… me too… in some ways, I’m glad that they’ve sold out (for now), as I have neither the space nor the need for another scope right now… and this was severely tempting 🤣

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, HollyHound said:

Ha ha… me too… in some ways, I’m glad that they’ve sold out (for now), as I have neither the space nor the need for another scope right now… and this was severely tempting 🤣

I agree I would love a 16" Dob but would never be able lift it at my age.

• Like 1

The old adage of the best scope is the most used one applies here. While I would like a 16” dob would it get used enough? 🤔

Had a 16” Lightbridge which was a big heavy lump and hence rarely got used. A 16” is best suited where it can be rolled out of a shed or garage if fitted with wheels. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, johninderby said:

The old adage of the best scope is the most used one applies here. While I would like a 16” dob would it get used enough? 🤔

Had a 16” Lightbridge which was a big heavy lump and hence rarely got used. A 16” is best suited where it can be rolled out of a shed or garage if fitted with wheels. 

Exactly… my Bresser 10 is just inside the back door and can be outside (two short trips) and ready in a few minutes, so does get used.

When I can get some time to create a more permanent observing setup, then that 16” would work perfectly 😃

These are well specified and priced scopes and thanks as always to @FLO for introducing them 👍

• Like 3

2 hours ago, johninderby said:

As nice as their new 16” dob is this might be this is very, very, very tempting. 😁

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/telescopes-in-stock/stellalyra-10-f12-m-lrc-classical-cassegrain-carbon-truss-telescope-ota.html

E021E4F8-F928-44DF-870E-03A358B946A4.jpeg

Pretty heavy though at 17 kg. And it is not a Newt/Dob so not sure it’s a substitute, not to mention 10 inches rather than 16 🤔

OK for permanent setup on large mount. but if we are ditching the large dob set-up, I’d go for a C11 (well, I did actually 🤣)

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, JeremyS said:

Pretty heavy though at 17 kg. And it is not a Newt/Dob so not sure it’s a substitute, not to mention 10 inches rather than 16 🤔

OK for permanent setup on large mount. but if we are ditching the large dob set-up, I’d go for a C11 (well, I did actually 🤣)

A scope I’d love to own but would make absolutely no sense to actually buy. 🤔

I would love the 16" but would need to get it through a side garage door onto the patio. Its too wide assembled to do that

I would have to assemble in parts on the night.

What would the weight be of the mirror bottom end if I was to lift it off the dob base? (without truss rods and upper section)

Edited by tony4563
  • Like 1

On 11/08/2021 at 12:29, FLO said:

StellaLyra Dobsonians (8" upwards) include an 8x50 Right-Angled Correct Image finderscope

Having two dobs already, including a 14", I'm not in the market for one of these, but this feature alone makes me favourably disposed towards them.

It's a pet niggle of mine that telescopes which are frequently bought by beginners include a straight through finder that requires you to master some advanced yoga positions at the same time as learning to star hop if you want to look at anything above about 70 degrees. I can't imagine the production cost difference is more than a few quid. I wonder how many people are put off by that experience?

Well done FLO, I hope this encourages other manufacturers to match the spec.

Edited by Whistlin Bob
  • Like 5

On 18/08/2021 at 16:59, Gonariu said:

Wow! The 6 ”has a 22% obstruction, great for planets, it's a universal tool! It would be interesting to know the prices.

Please see our website for prices: 

StellaLyra Dobsonian telescopes

8 hours ago, Roy Challen said:

Having the RA finder is great, but why doesn't the 6" come with one?

We want to make the 6" f/8 model affordable without compromising optical performance so have fitted it with a 1.25" single-speed focuser (still CNC machined) a smaller straight finderscope and traditional Teflon pads in both axis. We hope it will attract beginners into astronomy. 

Speaking as a retailer, the 6" f/8 is a difficult model to position. Experienced astronomers with an understanding of optics will know per-cm-of-aperture it has highest performance. (Longest focal ratio, smallest secondary obstruction, holds collimation very well, is less sensitive to miscollimation, quickest mirror cooling and the long narrow light-cone works well even with budget eyepieces). But most experienced astronomers already own a larger aperture telescope and beginners might see only the smaller 6” aperture (compared to its larger sisters) so overlook it. 

If at a star party you place the StellaLyra 6" f/8 Dobsonian alongside a premium apo' triplet and compare them, you will be pleasantly surprised. (The same is true for 6" f8 Dobsonians from Bresser and Sky-Watcher). 

HTH, 

Steve 

• Like 3

On 11/08/2021 at 13:45, FLO said:

Looking at our sales of 10" and 12" models, they will probably also have sold out in around 1-2x weeks. 

The 10" and 12" models have sold out.

More are in the pipeline but these are extraordinary times so they might not arrive until around December. 

We have good stocks of the 6" and 8" models 🙂 

StellaLyra 6" Dobsonian telescope

StellaLyra 8" Dobsonian telescope

On 19/08/2021 at 14:29, FLO said:

Please see our website for prices: 

StellaLyra Dobsonian telescopes

We want to make the 6" f/8 model affordable without compromising optical performance so have fitted it with a 1.25" single-speed focuser (still CNC machined) a smaller straight finderscope and traditional Teflon pads in both axis. We hope it will attract beginners into astronomy. 

Speaking as a retailer, the 6" f/8 is a difficult model to position. Experienced astronomers with an understanding of optics will know per-cm-of-aperture it has highest performance. (Longest focal ratio, smallest secondary obstruction, holds collimation very well, is less sensitive to miscollimation, quickest mirror cooling and the long narrow light-cone works well even with budget eyepieces). But most experienced astronomers already own a larger aperture telescope and beginners might see only the smaller 6” aperture (compared to its larger sisters) so overlook it. 

If at a star party you place the StellaLyra 6" f/8 Dobsonian alongside a premium apo' triplet and compare them, you will be pleasantly surprised. (The same is true for 6" f8 Dobsonians from Bresser and Sky-Watcher). 

HTH, 

Steve 

Steve, would it be fair to say the 6 inch series of TS Newts you stock are the same optical quality as the StellaLyra, Bresser and SW versions - apart from the focal lengths being shorter at f6, f5 and f4.  I'm interested in the f6 particularly.  Thanks.

6 hours ago, paulastro said:

Steve, would it be fair to say the 6 inch series of TS Newts you stock are the same optical quality as the StellaLyra, Bresser and SW versions - apart from the focal lengths being shorter at f6, f5 and f4.  I'm interested in the f6 particularly.  Thanks.

I am not sure I fully understand your question but will do my best to answer 🙂 

I cannot find a TS branded 6" f8 Dobsonian so am unable to make a comparison. They do however offer a GSO branded 6" f8 Dobsonian that I believe is equivalent to the StellaLyra model. 

Regarding Sky-Watcher and Bresser 6" f8 Dobsonian telescopes, they are not 'versions'. They are not manufactured in the same factory. The StellaLyra model is manufactured by Guan Sheng Optical (GSO) in Taiwan. Sky-Watcher and Bresser Dobsonians are manufactured in China by Synta and Jinghua Optics. 

All three have good f8 parabolic mirror-sets so optical performance will be similar but - mechanically - they are different. 

The same is true for StellaLyra, Sky-Watcher and Bresser 8" f6 Dobsonians . They are optically similar but manufactured by three different companies so design, features and build are different. 

Regarding TS Newtonians vs Sky-Watcher and Bresser Newtonians. That is too broad a question and not related to this discussion. If you start a new discussion in the Discussions - Scopes / Whole setups board I am sure you will receive plenty of feedback from owners. 

It is important to understand changing a Newtonian telescopes focal ratio changes its optical characteristics. An 8" f6 Newtonian will perform and behave differently to an 8" f4 Newtonian. Generally speaking the faster f4 Newtonian will require higher maintenance and more sophisticated (expensive) eyepieces to achieve its full potential. 

HTH, 

Steve 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, FLO said:

I am not sure I fully understand your question but will do my best to answer 🙂 

I cannot find a TS branded 6" f8 Dobsonian so am unable to make a comparison. They do however offer a GSO branded 6" f8 Dobsonian that I believe is equivalent to the StellaLyra model. 

Regarding Sky-Watcher and Bresser 6" f8 Dobsonian telescopes, they are not 'versions'. They are not manufactured in the same factory. The StellaLyra model is manufactured by Guan Sheng Optical (GSO) in Taiwan. Sky-Watcher and Bresser Dobsonians are manufactured in China by Synta and Jinghua Optics. 

All three have good f8 parabolic mirror-sets so optical performance will be similar but - mechanically - they are different. 

The same is true for StellaLyra, Sky-Watcher and Bresser 8" f6 Dobsonians . They are optically similar but manufactured by three different companies so design, features and build are different. 

Regarding TS Newtonians vs Sky-Watcher and Bresser Newtonians. That is too broad a question and not related to this discussion. If you start a new discussion in the Discussions - Scopes / Whole setups board I am sure you will receive plenty of feedback from owners. 

It is important to understand changing a Newtonian telescopes focal ratio changes its optical characteristics. An 8" f6 Newtonian will perform and behave differently to an 8" f4 Newtonian. Generally speaking the faster f4 Newtonian will require higher maintenance and more sophisticated (expensive) eyepieces to achieve its full potential. 

HTH, 

Steve 

Thanks Steve.  Sorry if I confused you. I did say I was asking about the TS Newts (OTAs) you stock  - meaning the optical tube assemblies you stock of f4, f5 and f6. I know TS don't  produce a 6 inch f8 Dob, and it's not what I asked in my question. 

I also am well aware there there are differences in the optical characteristics of the same aperture scope at different focal ratios,  I did indicate this when I said " ....apart from the focal lengths being shorter at f4, f5 and f6. When I said "versions" I was referring merely to the different makes, and I know very well they are not made to the same fit and finish.

I asked specifically about the optical quality,  nothing else. All I wanted to know was how the optics of the TS OTAs optics compare with the other manufacturers.  Just a general comment on how good you think the TS optics are would have been sufficient.

At various times, over very many years, I've used Newts from all those mentioned, and others - apart from the Stellamira and TS.  

Let's leave it there.  You have probably lost the will to live after having read this reply, as I did when I read your response to my original question - which I thought was pretty straight forward!