Jump to content

Banner.jpg.b6007b69ccdf5c69bf18273ddfe023df.jpg

I've mislaid my 10mm plossl, best replacement suggestions?


Gfamily
 Share

Recommended Posts

42 minutes ago, Mr Spock said:

Are you fixed on 10mm? The BST Starguider is good value at £49. They have a 12mm and an 8mm  https://www.firstlightoptics.com/bst-starguider-eyepieces.html

I was thinking the same , I've both and they work well in my 127 mak.

If you  are specifically  wanting a 10mm though , and not bothered by narrow FOV and short eye relief , rather than replace the lost plossl ( there's a tongue twister waiting there 🙂 ) with another the same, you could maybe investigate a Baader ortho ? I bought a 6mm second hand on here , didn't want to spend a lot on a 6mm as it was an experiment to see f it would  push me into 'unbearably intrusive eye floater ' territory (answer , it's right on the edge ...) It's a good, tiny, light EP and on  the odd occasion when conditions allow  250x mag views of the Moon in the mak it gives clear sharp views.

They do a 10mm ortho too , it's about £50  new ,  I've never used that specific one, but it may be worth checking it out ,I'm sure someone will have experience of it .

Heather

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thanks all for the suggestions.  

I was thinking of a straight replacement, but going up to a wider angle field might be an alternative. 

Hmm, decisions, decisions.  We're currently away, and I have an old Skywatcher 10mm kit eyepiece to make do with. 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

27 minutes ago, Tiny Clanger said:

I was thinking the same , I've both and they work well in my 127 mak.

If you  are specifically  wanting a 10mm though , and not bothered by narrow FOV and short eye relief , rather than replace the lost plossl ( there's a tongue twister waiting there 🙂 ) with another the same, you could maybe investigate a Baader ortho ? I bought a 6mm second hand on here , didn't want to spend a lot on a 6mm as it was an experiment to see f it would  push me into 'unbearably intrusive eye floater ' territory (answer , it's right on the edge ...) It's a good, tiny, light EP and on  the odd occasion when conditions allow  250x mag views of the Moon in the mak it gives clear sharp views.

They do a 10mm ortho too , it's about £50  new ,  I've never used that specific one, but it may be worth checking it out ,I'm sure someone will have experience of it .

Heather

I've used the 100mm in a C5 which is *roughly* the same as your Mak in terms of specs, it works very well for planetary viewing. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, badhex said:

I've used the 100mm in a C5 which is *roughly* the same as your Mak in terms of specs, it works very well for planetary viewing. 

 

1 hour ago, jetstream said:

The Baader Classic 10mm ortho is a vg eyepiece, with a plossl like AFOV.

Good to know,thanks both,  I thought someone would have suitable experience .

If I didn't already have  a few first-upgrade type plossls  making a very light and compact little portable kit (to go with my cheap 'fracs,) I'd be sorely tempted by the Baader ortho set as a bargain travel option. Unless it has changed since I last looked,  3 orthos  ,  a 32mm plossl and a 2x barlow ( plus a turret thing I'd probably never use )for under £200 .

Heather

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Tiny Clanger said:

tempted by the Baader ortho set as a bargain travel option

Thing is Heather, the 10mm BCO is a top tier eyepiece... it goes deeper than my 10mm Delos, 12.5mm Docter UWA  and provides sharpness on par (at least) with those 2, and others. The 18mm is a fine EP but my 6mm bloats stars and is not used. When I'm using the 24"f4.1 the 10BCO is used to confirm sightings in other eyepieces and used with/ without the VIP.

I'll not be without one. Ive heard the Baader Q barlow is vg as well.

Edited by jetstream
  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

If we are talking Plosslike eyepieces, let's not forget the Vixen SLVs. Super sharp, great eye relief, nice eye guard. The view is only 50° but is as good as anything else on the market.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, jetstream said:

Thing is Heather, the 10mm BCO is a top tier eyepiece... it goes deeper than my 10mm Delos, 12.5mm Docter UWA  and provides sharpness on par (at least) with those 2, and others. The 18mm is a fine EP but my 6mm bloats stars and is not used. When I'm using the 24"f4.1 the 10BCO is used to confirm sightings in other eyepieces and used with/ without the VIP.

I'll not be without one. Ive heard the Baader Q barlow is vg as well.

Shh ! Now you've told everyone that, I shall have far more competitors keen to buy when a 10mm comes up second hand :evil4:

  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, jetstream said:

Thing is Heather, the 10mm BCO is a top tier eyepiece...

I'd second this. I have all 3x BCOs and actually have a bino pair of the 18mm which I use for solar binoviewing.

Cracking eyepiece for not a lot of cash secondhand.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 9 months later...
Posted (edited)
On 01/08/2021 at 13:40, Gfamily said:

Any thoughts? 

I have a 127mm Mak, the use of a 70mm f/5 refractor and an 8" SCT that doesn't get out much. 

 

I can now admit that I'm officially an idiot

Not only did I forget that I have a very nice 9mm X-Cel LX already (somehow mentally thought it was an 18mm - no idea why), but I just found the 'missing' 10mm Plossl in MrsG's Heritage 130P mini Dob. 

 

Edited by Gfamily
  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 01/08/2021 at 21:00, Zermelo said:

All of the above, and there's also a 10mm in the Vixen NPL range, which are decent quality plossls.

Yep - I have 2 (waiting perhaps for a binoviewer one day?)

I got them as part of a deal and was expecting to offload them, but they are really nice quality and I don't really notice the tightish eye-relief

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just looking back over this thread (OP has re-opened it, so I think I'm excused) and I'd forgotten about @Ags mentioning the Svbony 10mm aspheric.

I bought the 23mm in that range recently, to avoid paying postage on another item to the River Organization. At £13.99 it was a speculative punt - it has only three elements, and one of those appeared to be plastic - but I had read some positive reviews elsewhere.

I've used it a couple of times and it's actually not that bad. I didn't check its claim of 62° AFOV, but it seemed about right. And the sharpness was good across about 90%. It would be a good one to take to an outreach. I'm tempted to try the 10mm, but I already have two 10mm eyepieces.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

The 10mm BCO. It’s the best value for money to performance eyepiece on the market. It barlows superbly too. 

edit - sorry have just seen you’ve found it. Still, the 10mm BCO is a fantastic EP…

Edited by IB20
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, Zermelo said:

I bought the 23mm in that range recently, to avoid paying postage on another item to the River Organization. At £13.99 it was a speculative punt - it has only three elements, and one of those appeared to be plastic - but I had read some positive reviews elsewhere.

I've used it a couple of times and it's actually not that bad. I didn't check its claim of 62° AFOV, but it seemed about right. And the sharpness was good across about 90%.

I put together some existing images I have to show how a couple of budget 20mm/23mm eyepieces compare.  The 20mm is the SVBONY UWA with a 67° AFOV and the 23mm (closer to 23.5mm) is the Aspheric with a 63° to 64° AFOV.  Neither is great at f/6, but both improve dramatically at f/12.  When shopping for eyepieces to use in a slow scope, budget eyepieces become a much more viable option.  Both also work great at f/18 in my binoviewers with a 3x (effective) Barlow element to reach focus.

165619458_72EDBudget20mmand23mmComparison.thumb.jpg.16a2ab434742f59cee4643d78a96a80c.jpg2022403662_127MakBudget20mmand23mmComparison.thumb.jpg.e0f5c5aca9c469e028e4705335a53281.jpg

Edited by Louis D
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.