Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

What a ridiculous pastime..

Stardaze

For those of us who can’t stay awake at night! 🙃

It’s been so frustrating these last two nights, finally, good conditions arrive after a dour month, but an early start for work means an hour at most into dark at this time of year. Unfortunately for me, I’m a morning bird with an ‘off’ switch around 10.30, so why an interest in the night sky? It’s nice being out this time of year in shorts and t shirt but the hours are wholly unsociable, there must be more of you like me? 
Tonight still looks good though, so I’ll definitely be burning the oil tonight with a little caffeine to help 😆

Edited by Stardaze
  • Like 4

38 minutes ago, Spile said:

2pm to bed last night and so just four hours sleep but M8, the double double’s double and finally Saturn made it worthwhile. In bed before 10 today 🙂

Well worth the effort. I'm heading out in a sec...

• Like 1

Bedtime was 3am last night and up at 8 for work. But tonight is clear too and I feel that I can't miss any clear nights after 4 weeks of cloud!

Coffee and more coffee. Plus, hopefully the dog will let me sleep-in to 9am tomorrow!

• Like 3

Clouds moved in but not before I had a good look at the moon with the CC8”. Can’t believe the sharpness and contrast this scope gives. Punches above it’s aperture. 👍🏻🙂

Edited by johninderby
  • Like 2

Luckily the weather forecast was a dead cert last night and it's Friday, so a pre planned 90 minute kip was taken after tea.

The plan was to check out the lunar X and V then back out for Jupiter and Saturn. Unfortunately I realised when setting up, the moon would be behind houses at the scheduled time... 🙄

Still, back out at 0130 for a few satisfying glimpses of Saturn followed by a long Jupiter session. Seeing was excellent and the 102mm frac, out for the first time on the planets smashed the Skymax. Every so often a back stretch and a sweep with the 10x50s. A nice summer time t-shirt and shorts session. 

I'm working 9-5 these days and being past 50 I can't work on a few hours sleep so the weather being good on a weekend for the first time in ages was a super bonus. 👍

Time for bed. Good night! 😀

Edited by ScouseSpaceCadet
  • Like 3

I managed till around 1 last night. Started with the moon, followed by a lot of targets I chased last year. Seeing was steady but the veil didn’t pop as much as I have seen, which was what I really wanted to capture. A good mix of everything but concentrated on ophichus and Cygnus, so quite happy to get out again.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I know what you mean, on Wednesday night I got a few hours in practicing my pa in sharcap and guiding with phd2 on my newly modified AzGti mount in EQ mode with my sw 72ed then cloud rolled in around 11.30pm so Thursday night was guaranteed clear skies so out imaging NA nebula until 1.30am then up at 4.30am for work. Last night wasn't so bad out imaging the veil nebula for 1. 5 hours data and a cheeky go at M31 for half hour data back in around 3am. So I can understand and roll on the autumnal nights drawing in but sometimes the extra push of not having clear skies for 4 weeks makes you go crazy things haha, as others have said the end results are so very worth it. Clear skies 

Edited by AstroNebulee
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Kimboman said:

Nice reports, I do not  have the late night problem being long retired does have its compensations

A spare bedroom is a must can't wake the boss 

Would be a step up from my doghouse 😊

• Like 1
  • Haha 1