Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

New CMOS optimised Baader Ultra-Narrowband filters

cfinn

So Baader have announced these new “ultra-narrowband” filters (3.5/4nm) with bold claims about finally solving (or at least drastically minimising) the problem of halos. I will be looking to buy a set of narrowband filters come August/September so it would be wonderful if this is really true, because Chroma/Astrodon are definitely out of reach for me and I’m sure many others. Hopefully they would be parfocal with my Baader LRGB set too, which are themselves completely parfocal.

https://www.baader-planetarium.com/en/blog/new-baader-cmos-optimized-ultra-narrowband-and-highspeed-filters/

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Funny Baader sent me an email through the week about these as a way of eliminating the reflection with my MPCC. I definitely would be in the market for a set of 2” NB filters for high speed optics. 

• Like 2

Well, their existing range are supposed to be halo free...

The first OIII (8.5nm) I had was terrible for halos. Credit to FLO and Baader though, I sent it back after 8 months of trying different spacing, optics, orientation etc and the like for like replacement was perfect, no halos at all. Luck of the draw with batches I guess.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, david_taurus83 said:

The first OIII (8.5nm) I had was terrible for halos. Credit to FLO and Baader though, I sent it back after 8 months of trying different spacing, optics, orientation etc and the like for like replacement was perfect, no halos at all. Luck of the draw with batches I guess.

There were many threads about halos on the non ultra NB/s and especially the OIII.
I haven't noticed too many issues with my Ultra NB's from Baader but since getting them they have not had too much action due to lack of clear nights last year.
But obviously if I were in the market for them now I would have gone for these new versions, assuming the price is not ridiculous.

Steve

59 minutes ago, tooth_dr said:

I might have missed it, but when can we buy these?

No idea. And no idea on price either. They say a “moderate increase in price” compared to previous version, so still considerably cheaper than the high end brands I would imagine.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, david_taurus83 said:

In this article they acknowledge they weren’t halo free and have put in significant R&D time to develop new coatings which supposedly are (nearly) halo free. The proof will be in the pudding...

29 minutes ago, cfinn said:

No idea. And no idea on price either. They say a “moderate increase in price” compared to previous version, so still considerably cheaper than the high end brands I would imagine.

If the price is ok, then these would be a killer combo on my Epsilon.

• 3,5 / 4 nm f/2 Ultra-Highspeed Filters, CMOS-optimized – for f/3.4 to f/1.8

1 hour ago, tooth_dr said:

If the price is ok, then these would be a killer combo on my Epsilon.

• 3,5 / 4 nm f/2 Ultra-Highspeed Filters, CMOS-optimized – for f/3.4 to f/1.8

For sure!

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 16/06/2021 at 17:00, randomic said:

I'm in the market for a filter set. Do we reckon Baader will develop "CMOS-optimized" LRGB filters? Or is the halo problem something which is unique to narrowband?

My understanding is that halo happens mostly with NB filters. But I may be wrong.

The filter package SHO at 6mm sounds like a good starting point for monochrome imagers who are in a tight budget (and I am tempted to add such a camera to my equipment).

Waiting for user experiences (it's my understanding that these will start shipping in July)

N.F.

• Thanks 1

FLO is saying 15-20 days, but TBH I got fed up waiting for an original Baader 4.5nm [OIII] so ended up sending the whole LRGB+NB set back to swap for Chromas. As far as I'm concerned they are vapurware until FLO says In Stock.

37 minutes ago, DaveS said:

FLO is saying 15-20 days, but TBH I got fed up waiting for an original Baader 4.5nm [OIII] so ended up sending the whole LRGB+NB set back to swap for Chromas. As far as I'm concerned they are vapurware until FLO says In Stock.

LOL they are for sale on Baader website - I've been speaking with Michael @ Baader about them over the past few weeks.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Skipper Billy said:

I wonder how well these would work with a CCD camera and a not so fast scope ???  (f5)

Much cheaper than Astrodon/Chroma !!!

They make a set for F5 and Baader claim to work just fine with CCD 

• Like 1

I've also ordered one of these 2" CMOS 3.5nm filters, but just the Ha one. Looking forward to using it but am pretty relaxed about delivery time, as we've no astro dark up here in N.I for another month or so anyway. 

Ps - I was watching one of The Astro Imaging Channel's YouTube videos recently, the one on the RASA 8, and the presenter said that Fast filters (I.e ones that work down to F2) are only needed if you are using filters of around 3nm. He said even 5nm filters work just fine on fast optics. Just thought I'd pass it on in case it proves useful to some (assuming it's true of course!). 

• Like 1