Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Takahashi FC-100 and FC-76 advice

Focuser and EP update:

Baader Clicklock M56i (0.75") has arrived and been installed on the stock focuser. With an Explore Scientific Carbon Fibre 99pc reflectivity mirror diagonal, all of my eyepieces come to focus with just the 30mm travel on the stock focuser! 

Clearly the 1.25" EPs need a 2" to 1.25" adapter (I'm using a self centering one which effectively functions as a twist lock).

EPs which come to focus:

- All Ethos (caveat - the 6mm and 8mm need to be in the 2" to 1.25" adapter rather than just dropped straight into the 2" diagonal like the rest).

- Kitakaru 45mm

- Panoptic 41mm

- Panaview 38mm

- Explore Scientific 30mm

- Panoptic 24 mm 

- Explore Scientific 14mm

- Nagler Zoom 3-6mm

Switching between big 2" EPs and 1.25" can of course cause balance issues on most mounts including the Ercole Mini. However, this is less of a problem with the Manfrotto Geared Head, which is effectively always locked in position unless and until you temporarily unlock an axis (once you release it, the lock springs back). This means it's easier to.use 2" and 1.25" EPs together. If you have adjusted for Ethos 21mm then you do get some vertical image shift when changing to a light 1.25".

I will experiment further.

IMG_20210410_170657.jpg

IMG_20210410_171045.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Yes!  There are two or three tiny grub screws on the top of the focuser body. They may be glued over, but you can push an Allen key through the glue. Whichever you turn you'll need to be completely certain you turn the others by exactly the same amount, or you'll end up with image shift. A More Blue micro focuser may be a better way to go.

The best way to adjust it would be to remove the pinion and the locking knob on the top. Then release the pressure on the draw tube by unwinding the grub screws equally. Move the draw tube in and out by hand then gradually tighten each grub screw equally, while after each turn, test the tension by pushing and pulling the draw tube. When you're happy with the tension, replace the pinion and the locking knob and test at high power. There should be no image shift.

Edited by mikeDnight
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Update on weights, diagonals and mounting rings:

Changing the Tak visual back and adapters to a Baader clicklock and 2" Explore Scientific diagonal added 400 grams, so the total weight including Panoptic 24mm EP and lightweight RDF was 3.2kg.

I've just changed the Tak Clamshell to some Hercules aluminium tube rings.  Although the tube rings feel much lighter, my kitchen scales say there's only 60 grams in it - 480g for the Tak clamshell and dovetail and 420g for the tube rings and dovetail.  So the whole set up (without mount) is around 3.1kg.

IMG_20210412_120411.jpg

IMG_20210412_115128.jpg

IMG_20210412_115103.jpg

Edited by Commanderfish
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, Commanderfish said:

Update on weights, diagonals and mounting rings:

Changing the Tak visual back and adapters to a Baader clicklock and 2" Explore Scientific diagonal added 400 grams, so the total weight including Panoptic 24mm EP and lightweight RDF was 3.2kg.

I've just changed the Tak Clamshell to some Hercules aluminium tube rings.  Although the tube rings feel much lighter, my kitchen scales say there's only 60 grams in it - 480g for the Tak clamshell and dovetail and 420g for the tube rings and dovetail.  So the whole set up (without mount) is around 3.1kg.

IMG_20210412_120411.jpg

IMG_20210412_115128.jpg

IMG_20210412_115103.jpg

Are you going to stick with the Tak clamshell then, Fish?

On 12/04/2021 at 14:01, Commanderfish said:

No I really like the tube rings, I'll sell the clamshell on here when I have time!

Come on now, surely that's the same as having a Ferrari in anything other than red.... Sooner or later you're going to regret it 🙂🙂

• Like 2

1 hour ago, scotty38 said:

Come on now, surely that's the same as having a Ferrari in anything other than red.... Sooner or later you're going to regret it 🙂🙂

I was fully expecting to switch to tube rings on my FC-76DCU, but I love the tube cradle.

So easy to just loosen with a single knob, very slightly and adjust the OTA back/forth for balance if needed.

I also like that they bolt directly to my ScopeTech Zero mount so no need for a saddle or dovetail. I can just swap between FC-76 or FS-60 very easily and quickly 👍

I have got the other tube cradle attached to a Tak dovetail so can use that on the AZ100 or AZ Mount Pro, if I want.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, scotty38 said:

They are alu tube rings exactly matching the rings on the dewshield and  also the clamps😁

Also I hate Tak green, and whilst Tak blue is much better I still don't like it

IMG_20210412_115103.jpg

IMG_20210412_115128.jpg

Edited by Commanderfish
  • Like 1

One of the things that I like about the Takahashi tube clamps (I use one of the special longer ones with my FC100-DL) is that they are cast items and Takahashi started out as a casting company. They developed their expertise in this field over 30 years before moving into making scopes.

I've seen Takahashi's with aftermarket rings, focusers and finders / finder mounts. I suppose the objective is the heart of the scope though so as long as that stays, everything else is interchangeable to suit the owners desires / needs :smiley: 

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, John said:

One of the things that I like about the Takahashi tube clamps (I use one of the special longer ones with my FC100-DL) is that they are cast items and Takahashi started out as a casting company. They developed their expertise in this field over 30 years before moving into making scopes.

I've seen Takahashi's with aftermarket rings, focusers and finders / finder mounts. I suppose the objective is the heart of the scope though so as long as that stays, everything else is interchangeable to suit the owners desires / needs :smiley: 

Well if you give FLO £1228 of your cash (and they are currently cheapest) they'll happily supply the OTA but no clamp... But fortunately all the accessories are freely available... At a price

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Commanderfish said:

They are alu tube rings exactly matching the rings on the dewshield and  also the clamps😁

Also I hate Tak green, and whilst Tak blue is much better I still don't like it

IMG_20210412_115103.jpg

IMG_20210412_115128.jpg

At first, 20+ years ago I hated Tak green. Then I got one and grew to love it. Then the changed to baby blue. Hated it. But, you’ve guessed, I love it. 
Both colours ARE Takahashi: distinctive, Japanese and specific to Tak. 😊👍🏻

• Like 1

8 hours ago, scotty38 said:

I have to disagree, I really like those shiny, seemingly well fabricated tube rings on that Tak, I would like a set! 

On 12/04/2021 at 07:21, Commanderfish said:

I've just changed the Tak Clamshell to some Hercules aluminium tube rings. 

I really like those tube rings, I would love a set for my 102 if they make them, where did you get those from? thanks!

UPDATE

I see they're on AliExpress, there's a 100mm set, does anyone know if these would work for my TSA102? I know 102 refers to the objective but I'm not sure what the 

exact tube size is.

Edited by Sunshine

I like the Tak clamshell for observing, but tube rings are definitely the way to go for imaging. You can mount a lot more stuff on rings. I prefer the look of the More Blue rings. Very simple and minimal like the K-Astec rings, but much cheaper. The only knock is that they’re slightly darker than the Takahashi silver accents. 

• Like 2

The Hercules tube rings are a good colour match. They also have various mounting options. I've added a matching aluminium finder bracket to mine.

For aesthetics the RDF should probably be on the back ring, but for practicality it's better on the front.

Now to dig out a can of Alfa Silver car paint and spray that RDF to match!

IMG_20210414_115518.jpg

IMG_20210414_115538.jpg

IMG_20210414_115415.jpg

IMG_20210414_111809.jpg

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Commanderfish said:

The Hercules tube rings are a good colour match. They also have various mounting options. I've added a matching aluminium finder bracket to mine.

For aesthetics the RDF should probably be on the back ring, but for practicality it's better on the front.

Now to dig out a can of Alfa Silver car paint and spray that RDF to match!

The rings look great - so whenever you want to sell the clamshell... :) 

Edited by jadcx
finishing the sentence
  • Like 2

The Tak clamshell is great but you cannot add a carry handle.

I must admit over the winter in slippy conditions to being a bit nervous about my own safety when wrapping my arms around the DZ when carrying it out and back in.

I like the look of the silver tube rings so think I will get a set and add a handle - always feel better when mounting and carrying the scope with a handle 👍

Edited by dweller25
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1