Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Takahashi FC-100 and FC-76 advice

27 minutes ago, jetstream said:

@Commanderfish @HollyHound

If you guys were to compare the transmission and contrast on nebula how would the Panaview rate in relation to Ethos/Delos? Scatter?

My 42mm LVW falls short but is still Ok.

It was such a long time ago and different scopes, so couldn’t make an honest comparison. All I can say is the Ethos and Delos (and Pentax XW) have some improvement on contrast and scatter compared to eyepieces I had previously, but couldn’t quantify it objectively.

1 hour ago, jetstream said:

@Commanderfish @HollyHound

If you guys were to compare the transmission and contrast on nebula how would the Panaview rate in relation to Ethos/Delos? Scatter?

My 42mm LVW falls short but is still Ok.

Contrast is a little  hard to assess as the sky background is lighter in the 38mm at just x15, compared the the Ethos 17 at x33. But it does seem good considering the low mag. I like it in my CC6 and 8 where it has higher magnification.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Commanderfish said:

Contrast is a little  hard to assess as the sky background is lighter in the 38mm at just x15, compared the the Ethos 17 at x33. But it does seem good considering the low mag. I like it in my CC6 and 8 where it has higher magnification.

Thanks, I would really like to try a 76mm Tak on some very large faint nebs to compare to some other scopes. These objects will immediately let us know whats what. I might roust out one of these 38mm Panaviews.

• Like 1

Just doing a bit of reading and the OVL Aero 30mm ought to balance nicely at just 350grams but may show minor coma at the outer edges.

The APM UFF 30mm would be lovely (at twice the price) but weighs about 560 grams. That should still balance as it's lighter than the Ethos 17mm

Hmmmm...

• Like 2

Just used the Panaview 38mm in better skies (very little cloud, still at home with LP) and it was very good. Sharp 80per cent of the field and then minor coma, but I have to say minor and not distracting. I noticed because I was looking for it. Even though it was only at x15 it was a fairly dark background.

Edited by Commanderfish
  • Like 2

On 14/04/2021 at 12:02, Commanderfish said:

The Hercules tube rings are a good colour match. They also have various mounting options. I've added a matching aluminium finder bracket to mine.

Now to dig out a can of Alfa Silver car paint and spray that RDF to match!

I wasn't joking, look!

Last night I had some epic lunar views with the DC-76. 

Now I don't know who else noticed, but yesterday FLO had two FC100 DCs listed on their website. I've been monitoring the page for a while and tonight in the last couple.of hours or so someone ordered one, leaving just one. RVO still have none. 

Short version; my credit card hurts. Also, does anyone have a Baader clicklock M56i or Tak.2" visual back they can sell me ?!

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, Commanderfish said:

Now I don't know who else noticed, but yesterday FLO had two FC100 DCs listed on their website. I've been monitoring the page for a while and tonight in the last couple.of hours or so someone ordered one, leaving just one. RVO still have none. 

Short version; my credit card hurts. Also, does anyone have a Baader clicklock M56i or Tak.2" visual back they can sell me ?!

None left now. Was it you Fish? 🤣👍🏻

• Haha 1

Maybe 😁

Seriously after last night's lunar I am totally convinced by flourite Taks. I also noted just how useful the quick cool down is as well as portability. The CC6 has relatively fast cool down, but my time on target for the moon was very limited and the Tak showed just how perfect it is for immediate use grab and go. 

Now imagine the FC76 and the FC100 next to each other on the Mini Giro Ercole for grab and go, one set to wide field and the other set to whatever mag works best for the target 😎

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Commanderfish said:

Maybe 😁

Seriously after last night's lunar I am totally convinced by flourite Taks. I also noted just how useful the quick cool down is as well as portability. The CC6 has relatively fast cool down, but my time on target for the moon was very limited and the Tak showed just how perfect it is for immediate use grab and go. 

Now imagine the FC76 and the FC100 next to each other on the Mini Giro Ercole for grab and go, one set to wide field and the other set to whatever mag works best for the target 😎

This is my finding too, over the last two night I’ve had both the FS-60CB and FC-76DCU out and been focussing primarily on the moon.

They both cool down pretty much in minutes and both give sharp, contrasty images, free of any noticeable CA. What amazed me is just how much magnification each could take and still enhance the view.

At one point I had the FS60 at 166x (ES 5mm 82 deg with Hyperion 2.25 Barlow), and it was still giving a lovely usable view 😮

The FC76 takes it one step further and of course brightens the view further, whilst eeking out more detail still 👍

Both scopes are also just so lightweight and easy to carry and mount too, for quick or extended sessions.

These Taks are superb scopes and I would imagine that he FC100 takes it to the next level still 😃

Edited by HollyHound
  • Like 4

5 hours ago, Commanderfish said:

I wonder who swiped the other one? Looks like no more FC100s hitting these shores til June/July...

It’s good they got some stock in, but as you say, supplies are still very limited and will likely remain so for some/most of this year 😬

Will be very interested to hear your report on your FC100 when it arrives 😃

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Commanderfish said:

FLO do still have both the normal and “low profile” 2” visual backs available, but no Clicklock 56i in stock right now unfortunately 🤞

7 hours ago, Commanderfish said:

Congratulations on becoming a daddy to a brand new DC. I imagine you're pacing up and down the room with a cigar in your mouth - unlit of course as its healthier, in eager anticipation of the arrival of your new baby. Honestly, the DC is a jewel,  just keep your 2" visual back as short as possible as the DC focuser is a bit tight on inward travel. Having said that, I rarely had any problems reaching focus with mine, but I used only 1.25" eyepieces with the Tak prism, which has a very short light path. My DC proved to be my most used scope out of four decades of observing. The Moon will never cease to leave you in disbelief, while the planet's, when we'll situated, are stunning. DSO's I found to be unusually bright for a 4" telescope, but good dark adaption is still essential if you want to get the best out of it. It's upper magnification limit with perfect seeing will be around 120X per inch, so 500X on a good night, which can at times give some quite remarkable views of double stars. It will go higher without breaking down, but nothing's gained by doing so. I'm sure you'll enjoy experimenting to find what power suits each object. The fun you'll have will be hard to put into words I'm sure. Just relax and enjoy it! 😊

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, Commanderfish said:

Maybe 😁

I am and it’s wonderful 👍🏻🤣

Just to be sure, please post a pic when the FC 100 legend arrives.

I seem remember when you first posted the FC 76 vs FC 100 question, some joker suggested you get both 😬

The last 10 pages have been a preamble to the inevitable 🤣

• Haha 5

3 hours ago, JeremyS said:

I seem remember when you first posted the FC 76 vs FC 100 question, some joker suggested you get both 😬

The last 10 pages have been a preamble to the inevitable 🤣

I know, I know, but as I mentioned, my wallet wasnt ready for that reality at the time! Now that I'm 50kg of VX16 lighter, it's not quite as far fetched as it once was!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, mikeDnight said:

Congratulations on becoming a daddy to a brand new DC. I imagine you're pacing up and down the room with a cigar in your mouth - unlit of course as its healthier, in eager anticipation of the arrival of your new baby. Honestly, the DC is a jewel,  just keep your 2" visual back as short as possible as the DC focuser is a bit tight on inward travel. Having said that, I rarely had any problems reaching focus with mine, but I used only 1.25" eyepieces with the Tak prism, which has a very short light path. My DC proved to be my most used scope out of four decades of observing. The Moon will never cease to leave you in disbelief, while the planet's, when we'll situated, are stunning. DSO's I found to be unusually bright for a 4" telescope, but good dark adaption is still essential if you want to get the best out of it. It's upper magnification limit with perfect seeing will be around 120X per inch, so 500X on a good night, which can at times give some quite remarkable views of double stars. It will go higher without breaking down, but nothing's gained by doing so. I'm sure you'll enjoy experimenting to find what power suits each object. The fun you'll have will be hard to put into words I'm sure. Just relax and enjoy it! 😊

Great post, thank you! I'm planning on removing the light blue tube section at the front of the focuser (thus giving the DC the same tube length as the DF, as I understand it), adding a Baader Clicklock and the a 2" diagonal - although at some point I will experiment with bringing a binoviewer to focus with a 1.25 diag or prism.

Perhaps some extension tubes may be necessary for one set up or the other, but once the clicklock is on I can extend using standard 2" and 1.25" extension tubes, of which I have one or two kicking about...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Cleetus said:

On the subject of buying Takahashi telescopes does anyone know what happened to Trutek?

I think that Nick retired around this time last year. I may even have been his last customer when i bought my DZ from him?  It's a real shame as he was a true gent, and as expert on Tak's as anyone could be.

• Like 1

On 13/04/2021 at 20:38, Commanderfish said:

They are really nicely made and finished rings and light too. I don't know.the diameter for the TSA I'm afraid.

I ordered the 114mm rings on Aliexpress, they're on the way!

• Like 2

So here it is - the FC100DC!

I've fitted the 95mm Hercules rings (and a black 160mm dovetail whilst I wait for a new silver 228mm).

I've already removed the light blue tube section from in front of the focuser and installed a Baader clicklock.  With a 2" diagonal and a 50mm 2" extension tube after the diagonal, all my EPs come to focus just like on the FC-76, so 1.25" EPs just need the 2"-1.25" adapter, and the Ethos 6 and 8mm need to be used with the adapter rather than in 2" mode.

The brilliant thing is that if I place a standard Celestron 1.25" diagonal and a binoviewer straight into the Clicklock (using a 2" to 1.25" adapter at the Clicklock) then my binoviewers and Pan 24s come to focus on my farthest terrestrial objects, around 400m away with no OCS/barlow!!! 

The trouble is that that is with the focuser racked all the way in.  Experience tells me that I will need another 5-10mm forward travel to reach infinity.  So, could any of you advise me of a decent 1.25" diagonal with a shorter lightpath than a standard Celestron 1.25", but preferrably one that is inexpensive?  There must be some available because the Celestron has quite a long tube coming out of the back end...  also my wallet is in severe pain as it is.

EDIT:  done some research and it looks like I need to change from a 1.25" mirror diagonal to a 1.25" prism diagonal, preferrably with a twist lock.  Looks like a Tak prism may, perversely, be the cheapest?  I don't particularly want a correct image one (where left and right are the right way round) as that would be the opposite of all my other scopes, and this scope is likely to be used side by side with another on a Giro mount...

IMG_20210420_141426.jpg

IMG_20210420_143737.jpg

IMG_20210420_145607.jpg

Edited by Commanderfish
  • Like 5