Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Takahashi FC-100 and FC-76 advice

On 05/04/2021 at 23:29, mikeDnight said:

Have you ever read Leslie C. Peltier's Starlight Nights?

@mikeDnight Thank you, thank you, for recommending Starlight Nights!

I apologise if this is off topic, but I read the introduction and Chapter 1 on Kindle and it was so good, I wanted to read the actual paper book. It’s very difficult to find online unless you’re willing to pay over the odds. I found a copy in the library, first edition, and am absolutely glued. What an absolutely genuine, passionate person he was. I am thoroughly enjoying it and don’t want to finish!

• Like 2

Just now, Nicola Fletcher said:

@mikeDnight Thank you, thank you, for recommending Starlight Nights!

I apologise if this is off topic, but I read the introduction and Chapter 1 on Kindle and it was so good, I wanted to read the actual paper book. It’s very difficult to find online unless you’re willing to pay over the odds. I found a copy in the library, first edition, and am absolutely glued. What an absolutely genuine, passionate person he was. I am thoroughly enjoying it and don’t want to finish!

My favourite book. I read it at least once a year. Reminds we why I love astronomy (and variable stars in particular)

BTW you can get it on Kindle

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, JeremyS said:

My favourite book. I read it at least once a year. Reminds we why I love astronomy (and variable stars in particular)

BTW you can get it on Kindle

He manages to put into words the magic of the hobby doesn’t he? I certainly couldn’t articulate it as well.

Im old fashioned and like to read real books, but it’s great that it’s on Kindle - getting hold of the book could be difficult- or quite expensive.

• Like 4

45 minutes ago, Nicola Fletcher said:

He manages to put into words the magic of the hobby doesn’t he? I certainly couldn’t articulate it as well.

Im old fashioned and like to read real books, but it’s great that it’s on Kindle - getting hold of the book could be difficult- or quite expensive.

Indeed, Nicola. This one is worth having as the real version. I have 3 😊

image.thumb.jpg.84a92277e65b31621fd1fba621f66745.jpg

• Like 3

45 minutes ago, Nicola Fletcher said:

I feel the same way about real books. The feel and even the smell of real books is something you don't get with a Kindle. Like Jeremy I read Starlight Nights at least once a year, usually in the colder months when I'd rather sit by a fireside these days rather than freeze to death outside. I was first introduced to Starlight Nights by my observing mentor and friend Derek Hartley, when I was 18 years old, I'm now 59. I've read it every year since. Im really pleased youve found a copy and that you like it so much. 😊

Below is a picture of Derek with his Takahashi Sky 90 from four years ago. Together we've walked countless miles around his concrete pier over the last 40 years, hunting everything within the light grasp of various size telescopes, nearly always refractors. 

1718684480_2017-03-2411_46_18.thumb.jpg.eaaceeb94eb5d688c8476df55289ad44.jpg

• Like 4

Oh look, wall to wall cloud!

Tak FC-76DCU, as new in triple box with clamshell, Feathertouch 2015 (not installed), RDF and 1.25" diagonal and EPs. This set up needed the 20mm(?) extension with the stock focuser.

Cloud will be prolonged as tomorrow brings a Manfrotto Tripod and Friday brings a Nagler Zoom 3-6mm and a Baader 2" Clicklock. Silver tube rings and dovetail also ordered.

Note: using my kitchen scales, the stock focuser weighed 450g and the FTF2015 weighed 540g, so only 90g more. The FTF 2025 is listed as the same weight on Starlight's website.

IMG_20210407_111300.jpg

IMG_20210407_111639.jpg

IMG_20210407_111914.jpg

IMG_20210407_111654.jpg

IMG_20210407_184439.jpg

IMG_20210407_184524.jpg

IMG_20210407_184730.jpg

• Like 7

10 hours ago, mikeDnight said:

I feel the same way about real books. The feel and even the smell of real books is something you don't get with a Kindle. Like Jeremy I read Starlight Nights at least once a year, usually in the colder months when I'd rather sit by a fireside these days rather than freeze to death outside. I was first introduced to Starlight Nights by my observing mentor and friend Derek Hartley, when I was 18 years old, I'm now 59. I've read it every year since. Im really pleased youve found a copy and that you like it so much. 😊

Below is a picture of Derek with his Takahashi Sky 90 from four years ago. Together we've walked countless miles around his concrete pier over the last 40 years, hunting everything within the light grasp of various size telescopes, nearly always refractors. 

1718684480_2017-03-2411_46_18.thumb.jpg.eaaceeb94eb5d688c8476df55289ad44.jpg

I loved your story and your photo Mike - thanks for sharing it.

It’s not often you come across a really special book that you read often. This is definitely going to be one of them for me also!

Edited by Nicola Fletcher
  • Like 2

Grab and go set up: Manfrotto 405 head and 055 tripod weighing 4.6kg.

FC76 DCU clamshell, dovetail, diagonal.and eyepiece weighing 2.8kg.

About 400g heavier with the Ethos SX which does cause the vertical axis to shift but is parfocal with the Panoptic 24.  Nagler Zoom and Baader 2" connection coming tomorrow; I'll experiment with bringing the EPs to focus with a 2" diagonal tomorrow.

IMG_20210408_151611.jpg

IMG_20210408_152142.jpg

• Like 5

11 minutes ago, Commanderfish said:

Hi Nicola, just wondering what mount this is and whether you find it stable at Nagler Zoom mags on your photo tripod?

Your setup looks fantastic and I’m very interested to hear how you get on with setting up the 2” diagonal.

I decided to go for this carbon fibre tripod from Teleskop Express: https://www.teleskop-express.de/shop/product_info.php/info/p8276_TS-Optics-C255FMO-Carbon-Tripod---Height-up-to-1560-mm.html. It was a very good price and is advertised as being capable of carrying up to 12kg, so I decided to take a chance on it. I’m using it with a Giro Ercole mini (https://www.teleskop-express.de/shop/product_info.php/info/p8256_Giro-Ercole-Mini-Altazimuth-Mount-for-Telescopes-up-to-9-kg.html). I have used the Giro with the new carbon fibre tripod and other tripods and I really like its simplicity and quality. The whole setup is very stable although it was quite breezy last weekend when I set it up in the field. I can’t say for sure how stable it is with the Nagler zoom as I’ve mainly been using the Baader 8-24mm so far. I will certainly let you know when I get a chance to test it properly. 

• Thanks 1

Those of you using 1.25" eyepieces on the FC76 and FC100, what are your most used eyepieces?

I have the Pan 24 and I've ordered a Nagler Zoom. I have the ES82 14mm which looks really sharp on this scope but isn't parfocal to the other two.

Looks like the Nagler 9mm would be good at x63 and 1.3 degrees.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Commanderfish said:

Those of you using 1.25" eyepieces on the FC76 and FC100, what are your most used eyepieces?

I have the Pan 24 and I've ordered a Nagler Zoom. I have the ES82 14mm which looks really sharp on this scope but isn't parfocal to the other two.

Looks like the Nagler 9mm would be good at x63 and 1.3 degrees.

Pan 24, N13, NZ 3-6, vixen HR 3.4

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, Commanderfish said:

I’ve setup a lightweight set... Panoptic 24 and 15, BGO 12.5, Burgess/TMB 8 and Nagler Zoom 3-6. This lot live in a small eyepiece box, easily carried out with either the FS60 or FC76 for grab and go. I do usually leave the zoom in the FC76 though, ready just for lunar.

I’ve got a Fujiyama 9 on it’s way, which may slot in the box too 🤞

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, JeremyS said:

Pan 24, N13, NZ 3-6, vixen HR 3.4

52 minutes ago, HollyHound said:

I’ve setup a lightweight set... Panoptic 24 and 15, BGO 12.5, Burgess/TMB 8 and Nagler Zoom 3-6. This lot live in a small eyepiece box, easily carried out with either the FS60 or FC76 for grab and go. I do usually leave the zoom in the FC76 though, ready just for lunar.

I’ve got a Fujiyama 9 on it’s way, which may slot in the box too 🤞

What do you use the most  for say open clusters and objects like M42? Just wondering whether around x65 is good for DSOs like these given the limited aperture.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Commanderfish said:

What do you use the most  for say open clusters and objects like M42? Just wondering whether around x65 is good for DSOs like these given the limited aperture.

Still getting acquainted with the Taks at the moment, so I don’t have a favourite for DSOs yet. It’s possible my XWs (10, 7 and 5) may fulfil that role...will do a full write up when I have more hours on them all 👍

• Like 1

Occasionally I put my 13mm Ethos in the diagonal of my FC100 - it looks a bit ungainly but the views of DSO's are pretty spectacular at 69x / 1.4 degrees true field :smiley:

When I was galaxy hunting in Leo with the 100 a few nights back, the Delos 14mm seemed the ideal tool to pull those fainter fuzzies from my moderately LP affected skies. It seemed the most effective EP on that occasion.

Don't know if that experience translates to the FC76 though :icon_scratch:

Edited by John
  • Like 3

6 minutes ago, John said:Occasionally I put my 13mm Ethos in the diagonal of my FC100 - it looks a bit ungainly but the views of DSO's are pretty spectacular at 69x / 1.4 degrees true field :smiley:

When I was galaxy hunting in Leo with the 100 a few nights back, the Delos 14mm seemed the ideal tool to pull those fainter fuzzies from my moderately LP affected skies. It seemed the most effective EP on that occasion.

Don't know if that experience translates to the FC76 though :icon_scratch:

I haven’t even thought about trying any of my Ethos in the FC-76, but apart from balance issues (I can use the AZ100), it could be interesting 🤔

I also have the Delos 14mm, so can try it some more too, although of course your FC-100DL has a focal length of 900mm compared to 570mm for the FC-76DCU.

• Like 2

The Panoptic 24mm does pretty well too but a number of those galaxies were right on the limit for the aperture / conditions and I found that the additional magnification of the 14mm Delos helped to tease out their faint glows.

The 10mm or 7mm XW's would probably work similarly for the 76mm F7.5 :smiley:

Sometimes you've just got to play around with eyepieces and see what does the trick. It's not always the one you might think would do the best !

• Like 3

I too found that my 10mm Pentax XW gave wonderful views of nebulae and galaxies in my FC100DC.  The darkness of the sky background was just right to bring such targets to life.  I rarely used my 7mm XW except for M13, on which it gave a fabulous view. My most used eyepieces for deep sky with my 100mm refractor were my 31mm Nagler (glorious for star fields and comets), 20mm Nagler (spectacular on M42),  10mm XW (great for general deep sky), and 5mm XW for ring and dumbbell nebula's . The 3.5mm XW was wonderful on double stars!  The Morpheus line would be my choice today with the 17.5, 12.5, 9 & 6 or 4.5mm.

Edited by mikeDnight
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1