Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

How far to your dark site?

Andy ES

5 minute drive to the top of the South Downs. Did this for the first time last week and as a newbie to to all this,  I was amazed at the difference. Saw more than I had from back garden and viewed a couple of ‘shooting stars’ to add to the experience.

Edited by DPF
  • Like 5

On 12/03/2021 at 09:49, wookie1965 said:

If I was to go to Faulksy`s site probably take me between 1.5-2hrs, as I live in St.Helens my nearest would no doubt be in Wales somewhere but I haven't found a site I could regularly go to I am open to suggestions.

Have you looked at the area just north of Ormskirk - around Martin Mere and Holmeswood? That's probably the closest reasonable sky you are going to get - probably about 30mins to get to depending on which side of St Helens you are on. I don't have any particular suggestions - I have looked around the area a  few times (and the skies are much better than where I am), but not actually found a 'safe' location for observing yet.

1 hour ago, Shimrod said:

Have you looked at the area just north of Ormskirk - around Martin Mere and Holmeswood? That's probably the closest reasonable sky you are going to get - probably about 30mins to get to depending on which side of St Helens you are on. I don't have any particular suggestions - I have looked around the area a  few times (and the skies are much better than where I am), but not actually found a 'safe' location for observing yet.

No I have not thanks for the suggestion I'm close to Junction 7 M62 so on the other side of St.Helens but its worth a look.

5 minutes ago, wookie1965 said:

No I have not thanks for the suggestion I'm close to Junction 7 M62 so on the other side of St.Helens but its worth a look.

That's not too far, just up the M57 then 10 minutes to  get to other side of Ormskirk. One place I have looked at in daytime, but not at night is this Burscough You can get a little off the main road but don't know what the nighttime lights would be like.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Shimrod said:

That's not too far, just up the M57 then 10 minutes to  get to other side of Ormskirk. One place I have looked at in daytime, but not at night is this Burscough You can get a little off the main road but don't know what the nighttime lights would be like.

I know that neck of the woods a bit, having been dragged up in Kirkby.

Some areas around Ormskirk/Burscough are probably the better side of bortle 5. Gorse Hill Nature Reserve in Aughton might be worth a look, but I'd need someone to hold my hand. 🙄

Edited by ScouseSpaceCadet
  • Like 1

Someone above mentioned the Trough of Bowland. I last went there for a dark sky over 40 years ago with a family friend and his home brew 6" Newt.

It was indeed dark but even then the glow of Lancaster was apparent on the horizon. I guess it's still a relatively dark area though. Maybe one day...

22 minutes ago, Paul M said:

Someone above mentioned the Trough of Bowland. I last went there for a dark sky over 40 years ago with a family friend and his home brew 6" Newt.

It was indeed dark but even then the glow of Lancaster was apparent on the horizon. I guess it's still a relatively dark area though. Maybe one day...

Several areas of Bowland Forest are still recommended as dark sites. I have an open all year camp site I wanted to try right on the southern edge, near Bolton by Bowland. Alas, the pandemic hit.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, ScouseSpaceCadet said:

Several areas of Bowland Forest are still recommended as dark sites. I have an open all year camp site I wanted to try right on the southern edge, near Bolton by Bowland. Alas, the pandemic hit.

I've always fancied having a scope mounted atop the triangulation station on Beacon Fell... on the day the National Grid finally falls off its perch!

No doubt it'll be cloudy on that day.

1 hour ago, ScouseSpaceCadet said:

Some areas around Ormskirk/Burscough are probably the better side of bortle 5. Gorse Hill Nature Reserve in Aughton might be worth a look, but I'd need someone to hold my hand. 🙄

My old neck of the woods! Kicked up in Skem before moving to Aughton when I was 13. Left over 20 years ago to come to the Isle of Man. Small world!

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, ScouseSpaceCadet said:

Liverpool Astronomy Society has (or had) an observatory at Pex Hill, which is just south of the M62 at J7. It's a long time since I've been (or been a member of the astro society), but might be worth checking that area out. The Society membership is really cheap, so might be worth the cost to get access to the observatory site if it still exists.

6 minutes ago, Shimrod said:

Liverpool Astronomy Society has (or had) an observatory at Pex Hill, which is just south of the M62 at J7. It's a long time since I've been (or been a member of the astro society), but might be worth checking that area out. The Society membership is really cheap, so might be worth the cost to get access to the observatory site if it still exists.

Thanks. I've visited three times and a prospective member allowed to Zoom meetings etc. The worm turned after looking through their 12" LX200...

It's probably bortle 5/6 there but better than full on city 7/8. 🙄

Edited by ScouseSpaceCadet

On 11/03/2021 at 19:05, Jiggy 67 said:

Hey estwing, been looking at a cottage on the Isle of Skye, was thinking November, possibly after Galloway get together but what’s the weather like at that time of year??.....I believe it can be brutal.....I know you love it there

Out of the three weeks we spent there I think we had 3 and a half clear nights. Mid  October proved to be the luckiest mid November the wetter....Nick says October tends to be dryer...its just pot luck up there!

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, estwing said:

Out of the three weeks we spent there I think we had 3 and a half clear nights. Mid  October proved to be the luckiest mid November the wetter....Nick says October tends to be dryer...its just pot luck up there!

I had a week in Skye last September/October, and had only two clear nights out of seven. The house we stayed in was by the coast near Husabost (and Bortle 1 skies according the light pollution map) but it was seriously cold with the windchill! I think it is best to go as a holiday and take any clear skies you can as a bonus - being in the west it does get a lot more cloud that that the eastern side of the UK.

On 11/03/2021 at 18:34, Andy ES said:

Also how much kit do you take?

Equipment; depending upon what is anticipated observing and practicality for where to become situated. My standard set up is a 14" dob, sometimes this will be accompanied by a compact refractor or binoculars. Other times and for more convenience, I might take an 8" dob. When Comet Neowise was prominent, I specifically took my refractor and binoculars to a high vantage point with a dark N/E aspect, receiving outstanding views, particularly with the binoculars. If I go wild camping, I will take either binoculars (and a monopod) or a refractor, the subjects to observe applicable to the set up.  

Its quite nice reflecting on this, as right now just having to make the most of backyard observing, such as last night, enjoying at least some of the Globs for company.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, ScouseSpaceCadet said:

they used to do star gazing nights at delamere forset. thats not far from liverpool

• Like 1