NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Tonight's Aurora using Shetland webcam.

Nigella Bryant

Thanks for posting these. I hadn't thought about webcams for seeing the Lights. Still on my list of things to do, as we are too far south to stand much chance of seeing them locally. Actually, been on my 'to do' list since I was given Patrick Moore's Observer Book of Astronomy as a child, with a stunning colour photo of the Aurora. One day....

• Like 1

2 hours ago, aderyn said:

Thanks for posting these. I hadn't thought about webcams for seeing the Lights. Still on my list of things to do, as we are too far south to stand much chance of seeing them locally. Actually, been on my 'to do' list since I was given Patrick Moore's Observer Book of Astronomy as a child, with a stunning colour photo of the Aurora. One day....

I hadn't thought of that too until I'd got an email alert from the BAA Aurora section and giving me the link. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Mick J said:

Some nice snaps from 'weatherwatchers' on the BBC's news site    HERE

The webcams stunning, thanks  (still possible to wind playback to last night, that lighthouse is distracting) HERE

Thanks, just looked up the BBC one, stunning. I remember when I lived near Glasgow I saw an amazing Aurora event must have been around 1992. Coronal crowns, pink and green moving around the sky.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, The Admiral said:

I found the webcam on the "Lights Over Lapland" website shows some incredible displays. Scroll through time and see what you can see. OK, I know it's not the aurora from the UK, but beautiful none-the-less!

Ian

For example:

029ade2f-1b75-4143-aec4-3ba9da4b2b12.JPG

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Nigella Bryant said:

Just "WOW."

It is mind-blowing, isn't it? That's from last night, and there are quite a few similarly amazing displays last night. I would just love to see them in person, but like getting a clear sky in the UK is subject to chance, so is seeing a decent display. An expensive holiday could be quite uneventful :ohmy:. Mind you, whenever I've looked at this site more often than not displays of some sort have been in evidence. They do holidays, naturally.......:wink2:.

Ian

Edited by The Admiral
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, The Admiral said:

.... I would just love to see them in person, but like getting a clear sky in the UK is subject to chance, so is seeing a decent display. An expensive holiday could be quite uneventful :ohmy:. Mind you, whenever I've looked at this site more often than not displays of some sort have been in evidence. They do holidays, naturally.......:wink2:.

Ian

I really like the idea of a Hurtigruten ferry trip right up the coast of Norway, stopping at all the small ports along the route, with the possibility of seeing the Lights. Not cheap, especially with all the add-ons, but on some trips they offer another cruise if you don't see the Lights on the first one. One day....

• Like 1

I’ve seen the aurora from our home in north central Arkansas, so they can sometimes be seen well south of their native habitat. During our days in the NW corner of South Dakota we were treated to several episodes of highly active aurora. One of the most cool things I’ve seen in the sky.

• Like 1

On 12/01/2021 at 12:40, Nigella Bryant said:

Thanks, just looked up the BBC one, stunning. I remember when I lived near Glasgow I saw an amazing Aurora event must have been around 1992. Coronal crowns, pink and green moving around the sky.

In all probability the 92 show was the one I witnessed. I was based at Lossiemouth, 8 lads off out for a few libations, stopped us dead in our tracks. Didn't get to the pub for at least another hour. It was incredible, the sky was on fire. 

• Like 1

I liked the Shetland webcam as well, I also use the Alaska Aurora chasers and the Lapland ones , I watched the Shetland display much like Nigella and the Lapland 0ne, example below , it refreshed every mins unlike the Shetland display which is live, if you turn up,the volume could even hear the wind 

EB063813-F905-4CD8-B1C0-F05A11E89695.jpeg.b76efcf6d64d61a39dc8728568eae948.jpeg5CB29237-734C-40CA-9AB7-7C330DECAE7E.jpeg.0d5f0c3022d31d4e9d67ef2cda2c9bb6.jpeg14B18100-01EE-4937-B231-1AD3AC8F37D9.jpeg.d0bc70606e61f2925f7c45a67c933c57.jpeg

66AB70A6-B802-44CF-BD22-7F61080947E4.jpeg

84290001-32BD-411B-B09F-1B5E66EB1B36.jpeg

F2FB0E61-57A6-43B9-984D-FE95E1D02204.jpeg

97935588-62C8-4B3D-9B57-294EE3F60213.jpeg

• Like 5

1 hour ago, rcwinter said:

I liked the Shetland webcam as well, I also use the Alaska Aurora chasers and the Lapland ones , I watched the Shetland display much like Nigella and the Lapland 0ne, example below , it refreshed every mins unlike the Shetland display which is live, if you turn up,the volume could even hear the wind 

They are magical displays aren't they. Love to see something like that in person.

Ian

• Like 1

Back in February 1978, I was a soldier on exercise in the north of Norway, Bardufoss. I was sent on a trip to our quartermasters for much needed packs of Tartan ale when we were stopped by the Aurora. World war three could’ve started out and we would not have noticed we were so mesmerised by this fantastic and spectacular display!

I have to thank the British Army for providing such a wonderful opportunity to see the Aurora, and the 20’ of snow we had to live in! Unforgettable times.

chaz

• Like 2