Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Hello from Coventry

Mark - Coventry

Hello all,

I've just joined after a few months of browsing. Having rediscovered my love of astronomy from my schooldays many years ago I'm planning to launch into astrophotography (on a budget if that is possible!) I've acquired my first GOTO mount, an Explore Scientific PMC-Eight iEXOS 100, and after a week of wrangling I think I have got my head around it. I will be using an Astroberry with Kstars/Ekos/INDI and am trying to impose some discipline on myself by sticking with my current Celestron Astromaster EQ130 reflector before getting a small refractor. I find working with what you have rather than what is perfect to be a good learning experience. Or maybe I just like wearing hair shirts...

Looking forward to being part of the community here. :)

Mark

• Like 5

Hi Mark,

Welcome to SGL👍.

I'm from Coventry myself originally (Whitmore Park), although now live in Lincolnshire.

Good luck with your AP plans..I don't like hair shirts, so am visual and refractors only😊!

All the best,

Dave

• Like 1

Thanks for the warm welcome everyone. I have decided to ditch the hair shirt already. The red dot finder of the Astromaster (Useless with a capital U) and after a frustrating evening of gyrations and lying in the frost beneath it in an attempt to get it aligned, I purchased today a Skywatcher 80ED refractor. It arrives tomorrow and I am doing my clear skies dance already in anticipation...

Edited by Mark - Coventry
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, Mark - Coventry said:

Thanks for the warm welcome everyone. I have decided to ditch the hair shirt already. The red dot finder of the Astromaster (Useless with a capital U) and a frustrating evening of gyrations and lying in the frost beneath it in an attempt to get it aligned, I purchased today a Skywatcher 80ED refractor. It arrives tomorrow and I am doing my clear skies dance already in anticipation...

Yes, it was pretty cold last night wasn't it? Saturday is supposed to be clear... allegedly... and cold again. Maybe we will have some nice comfortable snow to lie down on by then?

Welcome BTW.

• Like 1