Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

EQ3 Pro - Synscan - What power adapter

Hello,

Hope you are all well. 

Trying to set up my new telescope and mount.  I have a EQ3 Pro - Synscan.  I have a wall plug that provides 12v 3A 36W.  Will this be enough to run the slewing and synscan system with hand control connected?

Thanks in advance for any help on this.  Can't wait to star getting some good pics.

Regards,
Colin.

adaptor.jpg

eq3 pro.jpg

The amount of watts the unit can supply does not matter as long as it meets the amount the equipment needs.

It is the voltage that can fry a mount. They are generally very happy in the 12v to 15v range and work best at a bit above 12 in general , many use 13,8v as there are a lot of amateur radio PSU that output this (and it is what a charged 12v battery will output).

I have a 13.8v 50 amp peak lab supply in my observatory (690 watts)

My Skywatcher mount does not take anything like this.

As long as the supply can give 2 or 3 amps  (24 to 36 watts) it should be fine , a larger supply is usually better regulated and can power all sorts of extra stuff like cameras and dew heaters (and LED working lights).

Many people prefer linear supplies rather than the wall wart plug in type

Maplin_Psu_XM19V_40.jpg

80477791 mini.jpg

Image11.jpg

Edited by fifeskies
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, Colin Bourchier said:

wow, thanks so much for the quick replies!  What about the Watts? Can't seem to find what the power draw in watts is anywhere.  Don't want to fry it.

Watts = volts x amps (12v x 3v= 36W).  The mount will only draw what it needs from the psu and if the max amp requirement doesn't exceed the output of the psu then all be fine. Ensure that the psu has a regulated output - non regulated types vary the voltage if the amps drawn increases. This type of psu is not recommended.

• Like 1

I use a 12V 2.0A supply with my EQ3 pro and I've never had any problems with it - slewing at full speed is fine (if a little noisy). You should be fine with that 3A supply.

Have fun with it - remember you don't need to even do a 1 star align for visual as long as you are pointed roughly north and have the correct latitude set.

David

16093472554571376729629.jpg

• Like 1