Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Asiair Pro connection to EQ3 Pro Hand Controller

So after ordering my Asiair Pro and waiting a month for it to come I’ve made the schoolboy error of not understanding how to connecting it up successfully and now I’m left wondering what I need. 

after 40 minutes trying to polar align I finally got the first plate solve! Then nothing from the mount..... I believe I need a cable to connect the hand controller to the asiair pro. But I can’t find anywhere which one is best to get! 

Im unsure if I can just use a usb a to usb b cable or if I need a serial to usb or what. Hopefully someone can help! 

Thanks Malc. I managed to find my error and Amazon delivered a EQMod cable yesterday. Hey presto! It worked! 

hoping for clear sky’s tonight to learn about auto-guiding and fingers crossed get a nice picture of pleiades! 

• 5 months later...
17 hours ago, Ivica said:

Greeting I have an eq3 synscan kit, I have the same problem as you, I wonder if the eqmod cable works, if it has 8pin, usb goes to ASIpro and 8pin to the control box?

Difficult to see from the above but if you have a small USB port, like a printer port, then you may be able to use a simple USB printer cable to connect (baud rate 115200), but a proper eqmod cable connected to the handset port (not the handset itself) should work (baud rate 9600).

With that handset all you need is a USB A to B cable to connect it to the PC.  You then place the handset into PC-DIRECT mode with the handset still connected to the mount via the 8 way cable  as shown.   The handset will show up as a com port in windows Device Manager.  Open the properties and set the speed from the default 9600 to 115,000.  You should then be able to install ASCOM and EQMOD and control the mount from the computer.

If you don't want to use the handset, than an EQDIR cable will need to be purchased (FLO / RVO and many other retailers stock them) to bypass the handset.

• Thanks 1

use Asiair pro, tried USB a-USB b, for the printer, it doesn't recognize it, I have to try Eqmod 8pin-usb, I think it will work well, thanks for the help, all the information helps me ... In the city where I live, I really few people do astronomy, so I have to study on my own, thank you very much.

8 minutes ago, Ivica said:

use Asiair pro, tried USB a-USB b, for the printer, it doesn't recognize it, I have to try Eqmod 8pin-usb, I think it will work well, thanks for the help, all the information helps me ... In the city where I live, I really few people do astronomy, so I have to study on my own, thank you very much.

Did you try both the skywatcher and eqmod options with the a-b cable and the 115200 baud rate? If the eq3 is fairly new there is an issue in the ZWO Asiair being a bit tardy with the RPI updates with the latest usb drivers.

35 minutes ago, Ivica said:

I'm sorry I didn't understand, did I connect the cable ...?

image.png

Sorry it was to try the USB A-B cable on your setup, there are different mount options and either the Skywatcher or EQMod are the ones to try.  The eqmod cable will need to use the EQMOD driver, but the USB printer cable may work with the Skywatcher driver (not the eqmod).

• Thanks 1