Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Hi, I am not sure where to post this so apologies if this should be somewhere else.

when I use the jackery 500 power supply connected to the Pegasus Astro power box advance , it shows the voltage supplied to the devices as 13.3 volts. on the power box console, when connected from mains power to the power box the voltage is about 12.5 to 13  volts.

I am not sure if it makes any difference that I am using the Pegasus unity platform to manage the devices?

so far I have not seen any issues, but is this voltage of 13.3 volts going to damage the camera and other devices connected to the power box or is this acceptable?

2 hours ago, Mark Jo said:

Hi, I am not sure where to post this so apologies if this should be somewhere else.

when I use the jackery 500 power supply connected to the Pegasus Astro power box advance , it shows the voltage supplied to the devices as 13.3 volts. on the power box console, when connected from mains power to the power box the voltage is about 12.5 to 13  volts.

I am not sure if it makes any difference that I am using the Pegasus unity platform to manage the devices?

so far I have not seen any issues, but is this voltage of 13.3 volts going to damage the camera and other devices connected to the power box or is this acceptable?

Anything up to about 13.8volts should be fine still for astronomy equipment. I have always run my kit on a 13.8volt bench supply. 

Adam 

Perfectly acceptable @Mark Jo, and actually desirable. As said above, a charged 12V battery is actually over 13V. I use a https://www.nevadaradio.co.uk/product/nevada-psw-30/ psu which provides a fixed 13.8V output.

The danger with using a 12V supply is that as your equipment draws current, the voltage will drop, and if it goes much below 11.5V you will see some strange behaviour from the electronics, especially your mount. We've all spent hours on cold dark nights trying to fix erratic hardware when using cheap or under-powered supplies.

My #1 rule now is if really strange things are happening, check the supply voltage. 9 times out of 10 I have accidentally switched the PSU output from 13.8V fixed to the adjustable voltage setting (easily done with a big switch on the back!).

Not sure about all the Powerboxes but the Ultimate version has a 14v safety cut out built in so just make sure that your only inputting 13.8v with everything switched off or you'll run into issues. Depending on the quality of input device and cable thickness you will likely see a voltage drop with everything switched on but as long as it doesn't dip below 12v you'll be fine.

Power supplies are rated at full draw, so a 12v 1amp power supply will deliver 12v with a 1 amp draw, if you are drawing less than 1 amp, the voltage will be higher.

Most electronic devices are tolerant of minor voltage swings (+/- 10%)