Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

perseus galaxy cluster

alacant

IMG_20191224_164357.thumb.jpg.bd69e5c128e49cf4bff8f92bc1c30229.jpg

Hi everyone

It doesn't get much more basic than this. Two mirrors in a tube with a shower cap.

The galaxies are a bit rough around the edges, but galaxies indeed there seem to be.

Colour? They all seem orange. Google eightypercently agrees with this; false colour renditions of galaxies seem not to have caught on. Yet!

Thanks for looking. Anyone tried this stuff?

700d on nt150l. ISO800

441715798_2-abell-426(1).thumb.jpg.497cccab881f638cda5ee8bee5c1e6d4.jpg

**EDIT: with Siril's photometric database thingy...

879324573_1-abell-426(1)_02.thumb.jpg.d1a3dfc12520d5a74bbbfdd48add0c8c.jpg

Edited by alacant
  • Like 21

1 hour ago, maw lod qan said:

the number of worlds

Thanks

Yeah. There's gotta be someone Perseus way looking back at us. I think the closest galaxy in shot is 250 million light years away. Must be pre-dinosaur even.

I wonder if we'll ever get a craft out far enough to be able to take a shot of our galaxy from a distance? So we can see what it really looks like...

Cheers

• Like 1

16 hours ago, alacant said:

I wonder if we'll ever get a craft out far enough to be able to take a shot of our galaxy from a distance? So we can see what it really looks like...

One thing at a time, let me finish that warp drive first. 😉

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, gorann said:

cannot spot much coma in the corners

f8: No corrector required:)

The light passes through zero glass on its way to the dslr, thus avoiding multitude of evils!

Cheers

Edited by alacant
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, alacant said:

f8: No corrector required:)

The light passes through zero glass on its way to the dslr, thus avoiding multitude of evils!

Cheers

I did wonder about your setup as I am use to seeing really short tube newts in the quest to to get into the f2.whatever zone. I understand the reality of a fast scope but your setup is just classic. Big thumbs up from me, despite my newt being an f5.

Marv

16 minutes ago, Marvin Jenkins said:

reality of a fast scope

Hi

Remember that f numbers can be misleading. Loadsa people mistake them. My 150mm f8 collects exactly the same amount of light as a 150mm f2. 

The only way to get the image faster is to increase the aperture;)

Cheers

• Like 1

On 17/11/2020 at 14:20, alacant said:

IMG_20191224_164357.thumb.jpg.bd69e5c128e49cf4bff8f92bc1c30229.jpg

Hi everyone

It doesn't get much more basic than this. Two mirrors in a tube with a shower cap.

The galaxies are a bit rough around the edges, but galaxies indeed there seem to be.

Colour? They all seem orange. Google eightypercently agrees with this; false colour renditions of galaxies seem not to have caught on. Yet!

Thanks for looking. Anyone tried this stuff?I

700d on nt150l. ISO800

I'm curious to see the shower cap! I never wear one myself, while imaging, but nor do I wear one in the shower since my three hairs (one at each side and one at the back) dry quickly even in poor weather. Pictures, please!!

Since NB emission is very limited from galaxies I don't think they offer much scope for the colour mapping enthusiasts, especially if the galaxies are old ellipticals without star forming regions. What you have here, mostly distant ellipticals without hot young stars, look very like the galaxies of the Virgo cluster and have the same orange colour. Even when you see the odd spiral in there its blue light will have been attenuated by the distance. I always think of places like this as the 'old sky' with that reddened look. Very interesting to find such a view in Perseus since we normally associate them with the springtime galaxy season. Nice one, and no reason to doubt your colour.

Olly

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, ollypenrice said:

curious to see the shower cap! I never wear one myself, while imaging, but nor do I wear one in the shower since my three hairs (one at each side and one at the back) dry quickly even in poor weather. Pictures, please!!

It's at the back of the scope. Black, nothing fancy.

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

7 minutes ago, ollypenrice said:

What you have here, mostly distant ellipticals without hot young stars, look very like the galaxies of the Virgo cluster and have the same orange colour. Even when you see the odd spiral in there its blue light will have been attenuated by the distance. I always think of places like this as the 'old sky' with that reddened look. Very interesting to find such a view in Perseus since we normally associate them with the springtime galaxy season. Nice one, and no reason to doubt your colour

The main attraction in this cluster (Abell 426) is the double galaxy ngc 1275. It shows a tidal interaction between two galaxies, and eruption of Ha jets kept in place by strong magnetic fields. Old but fierce. In my image of this area, I just about managed to make this visible, but it shows better in this astrobin image(definitely not mine)

https://www.astrobin.com/4063x8/B/?nc=all

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, wimvb said:

The main attraction in this cluster (Abell 426) is the double galaxy ngc 1275. It shows a tidal interaction between two galaxies, and eruption of Ha jets kept in place by strong magnetic fields. Old but fierce. In my image of this area, I just about managed to make this visible, but it shows better in this astrobin image(definitely not mine)

https://www.astrobin.com/4063x8/B/?nc=all

Interesting. Thanks Wim. New to me.

12 hours ago, wimvb said:

nothing fancy.

Nonsense. It's extremely fancy. Just zoom on in and feast your eyes on that luxury while lace trim.

Invented by Galileo in 1631, the shower cap has been an integral part of all telescopes ever since.  Depending upon colour, elasticity and spacing, it magnifies all galaxies by at least a factor of 2.6. Budget SkyWatcher versions still use the traditional galilean plastic pedal bin liner material with the luxury esprit version including a high tech elastic band which guarantees optimum magnification at maximum elasticity. Astro Physics demonstrated their latest platinum trimmed cap via video link at NEAF last month. Current delivery time is three years for the top of the range green version.

Highly recommended

Edited by alacant
  • Haha 4

That's a great image. Something to aim for w a homemade scope that will probably take another year to get finished (6" too, to go into an oversized cardboard tube methinks - but now I know that the secret is in the shower cap: 1/10th lambda w scent-of-lanthanum added right?).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, alacant said:

Oh, absolutely 1/10th. In fact the label says, '1/10th. lambda or better...'. 

Don’t labels on shower caps usually say ”hand wash only”?

which also applies to mirrors, of course.

Edited by wimvb
  • Haha 1