Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Hello from Lisbon

pedromreis

Hi

Hello all, I'm Pedro from near Lisbon, Portugal.

I have no telescope yet, a budget refractor 80mm on its way, the one referenced here https://youtu.be/Na-aBhc_gTY

My main expectations is have a nice time with my daughter (it was her idea) and learn about astronomy.

If it sticks I'll be asking for advices on a "proper" telescope in a few months :)

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, Ships and Stars said:

Welcome. Portugal is a great country, worked for a short period in the Alentejo, really liked it there in the rural countryside 👍

I'happy you like it :) And Alentejo is one of my favourite regions of Portugal also :).

• Like 1

Hi Pedro and welcome to SGL. Hope you have a great time with your new scope - Jupiter  Saturn and Mars are all well placed at the moment, so hopefully you'll enjoy some nice views. Not sure what eyepieces you'll get with it - often the kit eyepiece isn't brilliant, so that might be your first "extra". Lots of advice here on this and pretty much everything else.

Boa sorte!

Warm welcome to SGL! First thing to checkout I would recommend Moon, Jupiter and Saturn. For Mars I at least need to use a very high magnification to be able to see any details at all.. Checkout messier objects and learn a little bit about them. I was very happy when I saw M57 for the first time with my small scope. It is like a small doughnut made of smoke 😁 

Don’t hope to see stuff like they are from pictures and all is good. 

1 minute ago, pedromreis said:

Im searching for a downloadable (legit) pdf with a sky map. This before I buy an Atlas.

For my location (Lisbon, Portugal), where can I find something that I can print, for free, that helps me find stuff in the sky? 

Maybe software is better ?

Stellarium is brilliant