Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Which one is better ?

I know the feel of giving up. I’ve been searching for a telescope for the last couple of months and still didn’t find one. Everytime I’m almost certain of getting one specific model, i find others that seem better and are easier to use. 
But what’s important is that your passion for astronomy is greater than the frustration, time and patience it takes to find one. 
Eventually you’ll find your scope and most likely everyone here that owns one could tell you that it didn’t take 2 days nor 1 week to decide on one.   

A "sub-par" view of the moon through an 8" scope? A very modest telescope (Eg 90/102 mak) can give surprisingly good and satisfying luna views, certainly enough to give most newcomers a wow moment. An 8" is quite some way beyond that and is sufficient to give many seasoned astronomers a lifetimes enjoyment. If possible, it might be worth looking up a local astronomy club and see if you can get a look through someones 'scope and see how it matches expectations.

• Like 1

Get a small F10 Achromatic refractor, something like a Skywatcher Evostar, it will get you going and is inexpensive.

I still point my Evostar 90 at the Moon and get a nice wow factor.  There is a lot of detail to see, short cool down time, takes reasonably high powers well and it cost around £150.00.  

It's also very light, easy to pick up and put outside.  I reviewed mine once when I got it, I'll message you the link so you can see what it's like.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Alkaid said:

Get a small F10 Achromatic refractor, something like a Skywatcher Evostar, it will get you going and is inexpensive.

I still point my Evostar 90 at the Moon and get a nice wow factor.  There is a lot of detail to see, short cool down time, takes reasonably high powers well and it cost around £150.00.  

It's also very light, easy to pick up and put outside.  I reviewed mine once when I got it, I'll message you the link so you can see what it's like.

I think he's gone...

12 hours ago, Astrid said:

I know the feel of giving up. I’ve been searching for a telescope for the last couple of months and still didn’t find one. Everytime I’m almost certain of getting one specific model, i find others that seem better and are easier to use. 
But what’s important is that your passion for astronomy is greater than the frustration, time and patience it takes to find one. 

You can always find something better, but at what cost

Get a nice quality 8" reflector. The views are superb and such a wide ranging instrument that will give you years of enjoyment for very little money(especially if purchased used)

1 hour ago, Timebandit said:

You can always find something better, but at what cost

Get a nice quality 8" reflector. The views are superb and such a wide ranging instrument that will give you years of enjoyment for very little money(especially if purchased used)

Thank you for the suggestion! I'll look into it

• John unlocked this topic

I’m back, I have already seen your review it’s pretty wholesome. The 90mm gets crushed by the 8 inch every time but tracking is an issue with the dob. 300x times mag seems difficult to track with. I am not good with diy so can’t make an eq base. I’m not spending 300 pounds plus on a suitable tripod with an eq head on it. I just don’t know. Anyway I have made my decision it’s too late for me to get a telescope. 

56 minutes ago, Nair al Saif said:

I’m back, I have already seen your review it’s pretty wholesome. The 90mm gets crushed by the 8 inch every time but tracking is an issue with the dob. 300x times mag seems difficult to track with. I am not good with diy so can’t make an eq base. I’m not spending 300 pounds plus on a suitable tripod with an eq head on it. I just don’t know. Anyway I have made my decision it’s too late for me to get a telescope. 

Try tomorrow morning

13 hours ago, Nair al Saif said:

Best of luck 👍

Edited by dweller25

On 05/09/2020 at 04:22, Nair al Saif said:

the one thing that I dislike about the dobsonian is that it doesn’t counter the earths rotation so tracking  at 200x magnification is difficult!

My 15" Astrosystems truss dob is easy to track over 700x on the moon. OOUK VX10 handles 400x no problem and the H130 goes way over 200x just fine.

My AZEQ6, which is a very stable beast takes a comparatively long time to set up, mount scope and align. It is a very good mount though. It is never used for quick observations.

Every single person who has looked at the moon (here) through the H130 has commented on how sharp it looks or "is it ever clear" etc etc. Crank the views up around 225x-270x and Mars, Jupiter and Saturn with its rings show very well.

Dobs do not give sub par views IMHO, they give some of the very best views available.

Edited by jetstream

45 minutes ago, John said:

How does that relate to the topic of this thread :icon_scratch:

I wasnt sure if this topic was about the possible giving up of a member. And the fear for scams while searching for a good set.    Sorry if it is not that post.   Last week this post looked mixed up but that could also be my browser.   

A last try to get the o.p. in this hobby

Edited by Robindonne
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, Robindonne said:

I wasnt sure if this topic was about the possible giving up of a member. And the fear for scams while searching for a good set.    Sorry if it is not that post.   Last week this post looked mixed up but that could also be my browser.   

A last try to get the o.p. in this hobby

Last week this thread was mixed up - by me when I tried to merge two threads and actually merged three ! :rolleyes2:

I spent some time yesterday sorting it out back into two, unrelated threads.

On the topic of this thread, if the OP is unsure about getting a scope its probably best if he / she holds off purchasing anything just now. Supplies and choice are limited currently and used prices seem to be escalating.

The good thing is that the Universe will still be waiting if and when the interest is re-kindled :smiley:

• Like 2