Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Which one is better ?

11 minutes ago, Nair al Saif said:

Hey,

Which one is better? The mak by far has better mount but suffers from cool down and collimation? Mostly planetary but DSO is a nice bonus!

mak is 127/1500 F11.83

evostar 120/1000 F8.33

Completely different scopes, completely different optics, cannot compare!

If you don't know then just go with the Mak and see how you go, then buy the Evostar as well when your money permits.

If you are interested in planetary observing - then go for Mak127.

These are two very different scopes. Evostar is very large and won't be Eq3 class mount is simply not large enough to carry it. Scope is large and heavy and it is best suited for DSO observing - open star clusters in particular.

Evostar will show quite a bit of chromatic aberration on bright targets.

Mak127 is well suited for Eq3 class mount. If you are interested in planets - consider adding a tracking motor, it makes quite a bit of difference to observing experience for planets (no need to constantly adjust position of the scope).

Focuser on Mak is 1.25" and on Evostar it is 2".

On Mak, back opening is small and you can't use 2" eyepieces without vignetting (you can change visual back for 2" one but it wont make much difference in how much wide the scope can go). For planetary observing, you really don't need 2" eyepieces as planets are small.

• Like 1

If you go for the mak, make sure you get a dew shield as well. Mak-cassegrains are "dew magnets" due to the large glass corrector right at the front of the tube and without dew prevention gear such as a dew shield, an observing session can be quickly frustrated.

David's point about the 6 inch dobsonian is very pertinent but I suspect you have ruled out a newtonian long ago.

I own a Mak., SCT & refractor. I use my Mak or SCT 90%-95% of the time when viewing the Moon and planets.

A Mak., (and/or SCT); hardly ever requires collimation. Several years I ago, my ETX105 fell off my mount when the cast metal dovetail fitting snapped and the OTA hit the ground; (fortunately it was grass/lawn); from about 24"/60cms and damaged the rear ABS plastic cell. It did not require collimation. I just had to tighten up the ring/collar that slides the primary mirror along the baffle tube as is was loose and no other damage to the OTA.  

I have added/fitted an adaptor ring to the back-end of my 're-modded' ETX105 [Mak], so that I am able to use my SCT accessories and a 1.25" or 2" visual back.
The only 2" e/p I have is the Sky-Watcher 28mm LET|LER Apex... the TeleVue 13mm Nagler type 1 and Meade 8.8mm UWA series 4000 are dual-fit. 

PIC011.JPG.d44aaf7659477cb4cf6a80da07ee9215.JPG

Image above showing the back-end of my 're-mdded' ETX105 and the SCT adaptor ring.
The Jubilee/hose ring holds the dovetail bar to the tube. There is one on the other end too.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, vlaiv said:

Focuser on Mak is 1.25" and on Evostar it is 2".

On Mak, back opening is small and you can't use 2" eyepieces without vignetting (you can change visual back for 2" one but it wont make much difference in how much wide the scope can go). For planetary observing, you really don't need 2" eyepieces as planets are small.

Note: there's not much room for a dual speed 2" focuser on the back of the Skymax 127, it hits the standard focuser. I tried (and failed) to install one, and I had to revert back to the original configuration.

N.F.

4 minutes ago, Nair al Saif said:

Thank you? Yes I have ruled out a reflector long ago. I’m very clumsy and will probably find a way to break it! I think the 127 is the better choice. How long is cooled down @Philip R

Depends on temperatures and atmospheric stability. The 127 has a rather small glass element, if you go from an air conditioned room with it into desert temperatures, it may need more than half a hour to acclimate.

N.F.

• Like 1

Cool down on a Mak 127, as with most scopes, will depend on the differential between where the scopes stored and outside temperature. I found when I had the 127 Mak that if  I planned to use it I would put it in the back of the car (ouside) in the early evening, later on by the time I had set up I was pretty much ready to go in 15 minutes. From scratch though if its pretty cold out, I'd allow 30-45 minutes. Higher magnifications benefit from a longer settled period. its also worth remembering that it takes time for your night vision to kick in well and to "get your eye in" ie the longer you spend at the eye piece the more you will tend to see - seeing conditions permitting. 

• Like 1

With respect to the Mak127 in general terms, collimation wise Maks are pretty solid scopes and unless they have been knocked in transit (assuming original accurate allignment) or abused in some other way they hold collimation very well. I've had 4 altogether, still have a 90 and 102 with no problems. They have a narrow field of view, - luna, planets, globulars, doubles - fine,  but wider DSOs, open clusters like M45 not really its thing at all.  Mounting wise, although surprisingly weighty in a compact way when you first hold one your hands, they are easy to mount. An EQ3/2 will do very nicely. Given that with a Mak you are probably going to be ofen using it at 100X (plus) then slomo/fine adjustment controls (or a motor drive) are going to be useful so with an Alt/Az mount something like the AZ5 would be better than an AZ4 although I have used the Mak127 on the latter. 

39 minutes ago, Nair al Saif said:

Yes I have ruled out a reflector long ago. I’m very clumsy and will probably find a way to break it!

Re above, although Maks are enclosed, they too are reflectors of sorts. What we think of as "normal" reflectors are pretty tough too. Neither Maks or "reflectors" take kindly to seriously clumsy handing. One thing about "reflectors" is that checking and correcting collimation isn't difficult once you get your head round it. Something like a 150/F8 Dobsonian is a doddle to set up and as mentioned in another post is a very useful scope.

I understand but I’m not THAT clumsy :) ! Im the type of person who handles a good object with great care but extremely nervous so I make mistakes and call myself clumsy, (Ill most likely but the mount and telescope next to my bed as I sleep). I think it will with work wonders with me. It’s light and cute and fits the bill nicely any pro tips are gladly welcomed. The thing I don’t like a bout reflectors is there open tube design and how some are on dobsonian /no eq. Their weight!!. How coma affects images. I think Maksutovs are the perfect balance between refracting and reflector. It has both advantages however it has some downsides. Wow it’s amazing how long they hold collimation. I can write with a glass dip pen so I’m not to clumsy.  I’m getting sidetracked I think it should now be called maksutov basics 101:

Rule one: You are good unless you drop the telescope.

A 3.3kg its is a lot lighter and compact than a 5kg 1m refractor lol

Edited by Nair al Saif

Yes after many question my brain and heart finally agree on the maksutov. It is neither a refractor nor a reflector but is both. It has all advantages of both designs and is small and portable!

It was neither a dobsonian nor a large achro, the under dog Mak is the unpredicted champion of this three forum saga! Collimation is not so problematic anymore.

Thank you all!

Please if you have any tips I will definitely read them!

Edited by Nair al Saif

Get a decent diagonal. The cheap plastic one that comes with the scope isn’t great. Something like this will be a big improvement. 

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/diagonals/stellamira-1-25-90-di-electric-diagonal.html

And a RACI finder is very popular.

https://www.harrisontelescopes.co.uk/acatalog/skywatcher-6x30-right-angled-erect-image-finder--bracket.html#SID=22

A few good eyepieces is also a good idea. The Starguiders are not exoensivebbut are very good. Perhaps a 25mm, a 15mm and an 8mm.

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/search/for/starguider/

Edited by johninderby

6 hours ago, Nair al Saif said:

Thank you? Yes I have ruled out a reflector long ago. I’m very clumsy and will probably find a way to break it! I think the 127 is the better choice. How long is cooled down @Philip R

@Nair al Saif as per below...

6 hours ago, nfotis said:

Depends on temperatures and atmospheric stability. The 127 has a rather small glass element, if you go from an air conditioned room with it into desert temperatures, it may need more than half a hour to acclimate.

N.F.

5 hours ago, Alfian said:

Cool down on a Mak 127, as with most scopes, will depend on the differential between where the scopes stored and outside temperature. I found when I had the 127 Mak that if  I planned to use it I would put it in the back of the car (ouside) in the early evening, later on by the time I had set up I was pretty much ready to go in 15 minutes. From scratch though if its pretty cold out, I'd allow 30-45 minutes. Higher magnifications benefit from a longer settled period. its also worth remembering that it takes time for your night vision to kick in well and to "get your eye in" ie the longer you spend at the eye piece the more you will tend to see - seeing conditions permitting. 

Edited by Philip R

4 hours ago, nfotis said:

Note: there's not much room for a dual speed 2" focuser on the back of the Skymax 127, it hits the standard focuser. I tried (and failed) to install one, and I had to revert back to the original configuration.

N.F.

4 hours ago, johninderby said:

You can fit a 1.25” crayford to the Skymax127 but not cheap with the optional SCT adaptor.

https://www.teleskop-express.de/shop/product_info.php/info/p11734_TS-Optics-1-25----T2-Crayford-Focuser-for-Refractors--Cassegrains-----.html

Fitted to a Bresser 127 mak.

CD9F1CDA-3786-4CF3-AF29-7007BAD5898B.jpeg

Below is an image of my 're-modded' ETX105 with an SCT extension fitted to the SCT adaptor ring as mentioned in my earlier post...

A5057402-94DE-4E35-A2DE-D8A6BDEFB67B.thumb.jpeg.2165097e2282e5347993d6249a14bd74.jpeg

https://www.365astronomy.com/365astronomy-2-sc-extension-for-scts-schmidt-cassegrain-telescopes.html

Edited by Philip R
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, johninderby said:

The 1.25” crayford needs a custom made focuser to SCT adaptor. Or could be to any other thread but an SCT thread is better as the focuser can then be used on other scopes.

I am using the one you recommended me @johninderby. It works a treat. Thank you. :icon_salut: