Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Which one is better ?

The 127 does gather about 55% more light than the 102 so better on brighter objects however doesn’t make a huge difference on bright things like the moon and planets. The bigger aperture gives a bit more resolution though.

The 102 is a lot smaller and lighter than the 127 which makes it more portable.

I had a 127 but now replaced by a Bresser 100 f/15 mak that gets used a lot more as it's so small and portable and cools down faster.

Both sizes are very good and can be a difficult decision to choose which one.

The Bresser mak seems to be out of stock everywhere.though.

https://www.harrisontelescopes.co.uk/acatalog/bresser-messier-mc-100-1400-optical-tube-assembly.html

Edited by johninderby
  • Like 1

A tricky choice between the 127 and the 102 makes. There is no doubting the increased light gathering of the 127 and it is noticeable but although the 127 is not heavy heavy and quite manageable the 102 is, as John has commented, distinctly smaller. I store mine together with its dew shield and finder in a cheap tool box picked up at a local household store. The 102 will, at a pinch, mount on a ball head/photo tripod making  for a very lightweight (but limited) grab n go set up. 

11 minutes ago, Nair al Saif said:

The star quest 102mc is not collimatable should I be worried?

Has anyone used this telescope?

Thats odd. I have a Celestron branded 90mm mak-cassegrain and that does have collimation screws :icon_scratch:

Some versions of the Skywatcher 102mm mak-cassegrain do have collimation facilities for the primary mirror. This is the rear end of a Skymax 102:

http://www.waloszek.de/Mak102/R1014794_600.jpg

6 minutes ago, John said:

Thats odd. I have a Celestron branded 90mm mak-cassegrain and that does have collimation screws :icon_scratch:

Some versions of the Skywatcher 102mm mak-cassegrain do have collimation facilities for the primary mirror. This is the rear end of a Skymax 102:

Not add at all - there has been much talk about it and while some have had experience with such scopes and found them without much of a fault (hint @Lockie) I personally went for Mak102 with collimation screws - OTA version is regular and only bundled versions - star quest, one with AZ-EQ avant and AzGti come without collimation screws.

I think it is weight saving back cell redesign and personally don't really like it, but like I said, people that actually had experience with said scopes found that they work quite well and are in good collimation when received and don't go out of collimation in use.

9 minutes ago, vlaiv said:

Not add at all - there has been much talk about it and while some have had experience with such scopes and found them without much of a fault (hint @Lockie) I personally went for Mak102 with collimation screws - OTA version is regular and only bundled versions - star quest, one with AZ-EQ avant and AzGti come without collimation screws.

I think it is weight saving back cell redesign and personally don't really like it, but like I said, people that actually had experience with said scopes found that they work quite well and are in good collimation when received and don't go out of collimation in use.

I had to collimate my 90mm mak-cassegrain  when I got it so I would have been frustrated if I had not had them.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Nair al Saif said:

I know. This is a big problem.

Should I jump ship and get a 90mm refractor?

Why?

Just get regular OTA version of this scope and mount separately if it bothers you that there are no collimation screws.

Mak102 will be better for planets than 90mm refractor.

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/maksutov/skywatcher-skymax-102-ota.html

+

what ever mount you want to put it on. I know this is more expensive option than bundled version, but if you want option to collimate the scope - it's worth it.

Just now, Nair al Saif said:

Can the ota go on a photo tripod? I have an alt az

you can, but it is better to have Eq type mount with some sort of motor drive to track the target - much better observing that way as you don't have to constantly nudge the scope to stay on target and you can concentrate on observing.