Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Hello all! Illinois fella here

dontworry

hi all i am new to this, i am from Chicago, Illinois and sorry if this is in wrong section, but what are the best spots to go stargazing in illinois in 2020?

been wanting to stargaze for a loooonggg time just to see what sky looks like when it is glittered with stars

Welcome to SGL! for good stargazing spots, try doing whats worked for me many times. Look on google earth, zoom in on your city and, find areas without populated centres like cities and towns. Chances are, you'll run across swaths of land with national parks or conservation areas. google earth is great for finding unpopulated zones, another suggestion would be to google astronomy clubs in your city and join one or at least ask where they observe from.

Edited by Sunshine

Hi there, check out light pollution map  

Being Chicago, you'll really want to head as far away as possible. Closest places I see that look promising are between Bloomington IL and Wast Lafayette, IN.

If you are really going for the win, N. Minnesota, S. Ontario, W. Nebraska or S. Dakota!

I'd love to try observing from eastern Nevada someday.

By the way, I lived in Louisville KY for a bit many, many years ago. 

• 3 weeks later...