Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Mars in fair seeing from the 22nd August

Pete Presland

Early 3.45am alarm call for Mars, but for a change the seeing was reasonable and it was such a change not to be imaging at 15 degrees at the bottom of my garden!

The conditions seemed fairly stable from the time i popped the camera in, until Mars disappeared behind the trees.  Great to be reunited with the red planet and see some nice detail, especially after the sand storms of 2 years ago.

Captured with my C9.25, Asi 224mc. ADC and a X1.8 Barlow. 240 second SER FILE stacked/drizzled (x1.5) in A/S3 and lightly sharpened with CS2.

Pretty pleased with the result, wish i had known Phobos was close by, i might have tried a longer exposure to see if i could have seen it as well.

1763021672_2020_08_2203.45RGBDrizzlex1.5.png.55f7e7e111540c2f027498b9b605f2db.png

• Like 24

13 minutes ago, Uplooker said:

Well done. Personal opinion, I think it is slightly over cooked on the pole, but well done, lovely image.

Definitely, i would agree as well. It certainly will be reprocessed again over the coming cloudy evenings, always have found the processing the hardest part of imaging. 

4 hours ago, morimarty said:

A great detailed martian image Pete. I noticed you switched cameras was there any particular reason other than the obvious osc.

I have got some mono images as well, i have not processed them yet. I generally start with OSC and then mono afterwards. I was not sure how much time i had before Mars slipped behind the willow tree near me.

A nice image Pete. As mentioned elsewhere it's a little over exposed on the pole. It's difficult to tone this down, so may need a repro. It may be worth reducing capture times down to 3 mins to be safe, - I know that's what I do

Regards

Harvey

• Like 1