Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

10 Degree Tail on comet NEOWISE

2 minutes ago, DirkSteele said:

Very nice!  What processing steps did you take to bring out the ion tail?

Thanks. Not a great deal, slight local contrast enhancement using Noel's actions in PS (layer on top and about a 30% blend).

1 minute ago, Craney said:

Very nice.   

Does anyone know if the ion tail move away from the gas tail as the comet  moves away from the Sun ?? ......  would make an interesting long term imaging project.

Interesting question. The ion tail is more affected by the solar wind than the dust. Possibly they could diverge more the further the comet is from the Sun as the radiation pressure drops off with distance? But it could be difficult to tell as the appearance depends more on the viewing angle.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Knight of Clear Skies said:

The ion tail is more affected by the solar wind than the dust. ........

But it could be difficult to tell as the appearance depends more on the viewing angle.

Yes, those are very good points.. A bit more complex than I had originally thought.

10 hours ago, tooth_dr said:

Fantastic! How did you get a 1 minute shot?  I tried with my lens and I’m completely blown out 

I shot it from Bodmin Moor, Cornwall, recognised by the IDA as a [dark sky landscape](https://www.darksky.org/bodmin-moor-first-uk-area-of-outstanding-natural-beauty-to-achieve-ida-dark-sky-park-status/). It wasn't quite full astro-dark but pretty close, the Milky Way was very bright.

• Like 1

Great shot.  1 minutes as 60secs exposure, or a total of 1 min in several shorter exposures? 

I tried 10 seconds with the same lens and Canon 1100D but it was really too bright, but that could be because I am in Bortle 8.

Carole

12 minutes ago, carastro said:

Great shot.  1 minutes as 60secs exposure, or a total of 1 min in several shorter exposures? 

I tried 10 seconds with the same lens and Canon 1100D but it was really too bright, but that could be because I am in Bortle 8.

Carole

It was a single 1-minute exposure at ISO 800. I'm lucky to be shooting from the edge of a dark sky park and the comet was particularly well placed to the north, there are no towns in that direction until you hit the coast.

Edited by Knight of Clear Skies
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Knight of Clear Skies said:

I shot it from Bodmin Moor, Cornwall, recognised by the IDA as a [dark sky landscape](https://www.darksky.org/bodmin-moor-first-uk-area-of-outstanding-natural-beauty-to-achieve-ida-dark-sky-park-status/). It wasn't quite full astro-dark but pretty close, the Milky Way was very bright.

Thanks!  I think it sky brightness, 4 degrees further north must make all the difference!

Edited by tooth_dr