NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Lunt W/L Solar wedge

callisto

Hi everyone :)

I'm interested to start solar observing, never done it before.... so was just wondering do you think purchasing the Lunt W/L Solar wedge (1.25 version) is a good place to start?

I know it's in white light and would need a couple of appropriate filters.....I would be using it on a TS 80mm/600mm Achro :)

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated :)

Mark 

Edited by callisto
change wording

Agreed, the Lunt Wedge is a great value and excellent quality starting point for solar white light observing. I have a Baader CoolWedge, but have just re-acquired a Lunt 1.25” as a more portable travel option and also so I can use it in certain refractors that the 2” Baader won’t come to focus in. Will be interesting to compare them side by side; from memory the Baader does have an advantage in fine detail but costs a lot more! I’m sure you will enjoy the Lunt.

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, Stu said:

Are you using a continuum filter in this setup John?

Yes I used the continuum filter. Image was quite bright and it really seemed to suit the scope. Will be trying one of the double stacked filters in a few days time. 

Will it be worth it or not will have to see but curious. 🤔

Edited by johninderby

Will be interesting to see how that goes. I have just acquired a 1.25” from Brian, mainly to use in the Lunt Wedge on its own but will also try it in the Baader Wedge to effectively give a double stack with the built in 2”. I wonder if it is possible to create a slight tilt to the filter within the holder if reflections are an issue?

Remove the locking ring in the filter and put something thin in one spot under the glass and reinstall the locking ring. It only needs a very small amount of tilt aparently. Glass may rattle a bit though unless you put another thin bit of something on top of the glass opposite the other bit under the glass.

43 minutes ago, Solar B said:

I'm thinking if stacked together they would require to be tilted given the mirror 

finish however if apart then perhaps less so ? 

Brian 

Yes that may be correct Brian. I will have a play around.

48 minutes ago, Alan White said:

A vote for the 1.25" Lunt wedge, love my one.
A vote for the Baader Continuum filter as well, love my one.

Great value, great view = Great fun :)

I'm really looking forward to getting it :)

• Like 1

6 hours ago, michael.h.f.wilkinson said:

I am very happy with my Lunt wedge (1.25"version). Provides great image quality in my 80mm refractor

Sun_090427_lapl4_ap841LRcolour.jpg.a55a6e1fcbe987d883641bf7b3a6f5e7.thumb.jpg.462e258ac3faf91abe727edb95305185.jpg

This is like looking back at some sort of fabled golden era of solar astronomy.... difficult to imagine a year with zero spotless days.