Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Buying used equipment - pricing

I know this is a how long is a piece of string type question but... are there any guidelines for pricing used equipment for sale vs new prices? I appreciate that price might vary depending on the rarity and quality of the item, but in general terms - let's say for mainstream equipment - what metrics can be applied?

Agreed with the above. I'm happy to pay up to 70-75% of new price depending on the condition/age/rarity of the item. Also bear in mind that retailer prices do fluctuate over time, so that needs to be accounted for.

2 minutes ago, SyedT said:

Agreed with the above. I'm happy to pay up to 70-75% of new price depending on the condition/age/rarity of the item. Also bear in mind that retailer prices do fluctuate over time, so that needs to be accounted for.

Thanks. I would also pay a little more for an exceptional item.

The difficult area is an item thatΒ has been used once .Β 

Sellers sometimes quote the termsΒ  Β  "perfect condition"Β  Β  ...errrr ....well, if it has been used once then it may be in very good condition, butΒ it isn't perfect.Β 

Β It becomes a real judgement call on what you feel the true sale-able value is.Β  Β Does opening the box necessitate a reduction of 1/3rd the cost price ?? Hmmmm??Β  Not always....tough one.

Personally, if the selling priceΒ is above the 80% mark for such a 'perfect,Β  used item", I would rather pay a bit more and get the full warranty and consumer protection a retailer would provide.

Β 

Β 

Β 

5 minutes ago, Craney said:

Sellers sometimes quote the termsΒ  Β  "perfect condition"Β  Β  ...errrr ....well, if it has been used once then it may be in very good condition, butΒ it isn't perfect.Β 

Β It becomes a real judgement call on what you feel the true sale-able value is.Β  Β Does opening the box necessitate a reduction of 1/3rd the cost price ?? Hmmmm??Β  Not always....tough one.

Personally, if the selling priceΒ is above the 80% mark for such a 'perfect,Β  used item", I would rather pay a bit more and get the full warranty and consumer protection a retailer would provide.

Β 

Β 

Β 

Agree. I'm looking at an item now that is only 4 months old. The price is at 85% of new, hence I'm thinking I might as well buy new and have the peace of mind warranty provides. The other thing I see is optimistic pricing where it's way beyond market value and any realistic offer seems like a lowball.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Hoshii said:

Agree. I'm looking at an item now that is only 4 months old. The price is at 85% of new, hence I'm thinking I might as well buy new and have the peace of mind warranty provides. The other thing I see is optimistic pricing where it's way beyond market value and any realistic offer seems like a lowball.

That is always a good guideline - if price is such that you feel like buying a new item rather than having that second hand item - you should definitively purchase new.

On the other hand, if you think to yourself - look what I could be having for only "insert number here" and it is in very good condition - then you probably should purchase that item second hand.

10 minutes ago, Craney said:

Β 

Β 

Β 

I am sorry but I completely disagree, an item can be used but still be in perfect condition...you just can’t expect to get a new price for it...I have a scope I bought secondhand and was not used much at all by the previous owner, and I am extremely fussy, when I went to see it, I inspected it all very very closely, and it was totally as new, and completely unmarked, not even a fingerprint on the tube, so it does happen, but I did only pay 70% of the new price.... πŸ‘πŸ˜€

About two thirds for most things in very good condition. Perhaps 75% if is new in the box and never used.

Of course there is the rarity factor. If sold out everywhere and won’t be available for months would you pay more than 75% for a new in the box item. πŸ€”

Edited by johninderby

In holland its even more extreme.  Wanted ads asking for used items and willing to pay more then newprice because of the ever extending delivery dates😬. 

Edited by Robindonne

I have the impression that some higher priced scope outfits may be difficult for private sellers to shift second-hand.Β  I bought an expensive scope outfit in as-new condition for half the new price AND it came with a boxfullΒ of valuable accessories.Β 

I usually price it at 0.66x but include shipping. For second hand I go slightly lower than what I bought it for and include shipping as well (usually).

@Ianw apart from here and astrobuysell.com/uk check ebay as well. Sometimes amazing stuff comes up for decent price.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Stuart1971 said:

Your loss then as far as good priced secondhand kit.... πŸ‘

Nothing is worth going anywhere near Facebook. πŸ™‚πŸ™‚πŸ™‚

Althpigh if the advertisersΒ boycot keeps increasing there may not be a Facebook. ,

Edited by johninderby
  • Confused 1

26 minutes ago, johninderby said:

Althpigh if the advertisersΒ boycot keeps increasing there may not be a Facebook. ,

Hahahahah, that will never happen....

I useΒ Β it to keep in touch with family on the other side of the world, and so do many others, but if you don’t need for these type of reasons, then fine, but have a thought for those that do....πŸ‘

• Like 2

Facebook is losing a lot of users in the 18 to 35 age group and businesses after that market are finding better places to spend their advertising money.. Facebook needs to change but can they with Zuckerburg in charge?Β 

As they say evolve or die.

• Confused 1

1 minute ago, Stu said:

I think best to keep this one on track regarding pricing rather than the merits or otherwise of social media.

Thanks!

Agreed.... πŸ‘Β he’s had the last word now... πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚

Edited by Stuart1971