Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

First dslr purchase

Hi all, I'm currently totally new to all this, currently have a skywatcher 150p on a eq3 mount, my plan is to purchase the enhanced dual axis motors a polar scope and a dslr but looking through countless posts I'm unsure which to get, so hoping someone here could point me in the right direction, my current budget for a dslr is around £200 maybe stretch a little more any help would be greatly appreciated,

Thank you 

Harry

53 minutes ago, Harry85 said:

a dslr but looking through countless posts I'm unsure which to get,

All those posts will have explained the useful features of suitable cameras, so there's little point in repetition, it's now up to you to make a decision.

Michael

• Like 1

I was in the same boat last year. My vision was blurred by the choices.

In the end I came across a Canon 1200D in a local "cash converters" type shop. I probably paid over the odds but after marrying it up with APT and my EQ6 mount I've had some pleasing results with it although it's not the best choice from the Canon family.

I wish I'd hung round for one of the frequent members ads here on SGL. I could have picked up an astro modified Canon for the same money and get a few useful accessories in the deal!

So that's my advice. Look at the classifieds and pick up nice astro moded camera package (batteries, filters, leads and maybe a nice lens or two). The exact model is a minefield you will never navigate and seconadry in my opinion. Go for a good value package of an established SGL member :)

• Thanks 1

Thanks all for the reply I've seen 600d thrown around alot but wasnt sure if there was a slightly better one within my price range I could get instead, think I'll go for that one thank you so much for your replies much appreciated 

8 minutes ago, Harry85 said:

Thanks all for the reply I've seen 600d thrown around alot but wasnt sure if there was a slightly better one within my price range I could get instead, think I'll go for that one thank you so much for your replies much appreciated 

The 600D is a good camera with a decent blend of performance and features, a good upgrade but probably outside your budget would be the 60D. Have a look at MPB photographic or WEX for good used cameras.

Alan

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Alien 13 said:

The 600D is a good camera with a decent blend of performance and features, a good upgrade but probably outside your budget would be the 60D. Have a look at MPB photographic or WEX for good used cameras.

Alan

Hi alien just had a quick look and the 60d is showing at 170-230 on mpb so within my price range so you would reccommend this instead? Thanks for the help :)

Regardless of model, if you are planning on buying this for deep sky astrophotography, buy an already astro-modified one.

CheapAstrophotography sells them already modified for reasonable price.

Carole 

• Thanks 1

I have recently brought a second hand 600D, Baader astro-modified for £250. IT came with a battery grip which is really handy for a long nights imaging, and shutter release cable, and camera bag, a great buy!. I posted up a wanted add on astro buy and sell and was contacted buy two people so they are out there!

Edited by Rustang
  • Thanks 1

On 27/06/2020 at 11:38, Harry85 said:

Hi alien just had a quick look and the 60d is showing at 170-230 on mpb so within my price range so you would reccommend this instead? Thanks for the help :)

The 60D is a better camera than the 600D in all respects but heavier if thats a concern although it is weather proofed and has some serious extra features.

Alan

• Thanks 1

If the dslr is astro modified - does that reduce its quality for normal day to day photography? 

Once you astro mod a dslr, it can really only be used for AP? 

Edited by dd999

19 minutes ago, dd999 said:

If the dslr is astro modified - does that reduce its quality for normal day to day photography? 

Once you astro mod a dslr, it can really only be used for AP? 

It depends on the type of modification in that a filter replacement that allows a little more Ha through will probably still work OK for general daytime use although you will have some issues with colour balance and some lenses will show excessive CA.

A full mod that removes both filters will render the camera useless for normal daytime photography as well as loosing any auto sensor clean and the ability to auto focus with lenses....

Alan

Edited by Alien 13

1 hour ago, Alien 13 said:

A full mod that removes both filters

The full mod doesn't allow standard camera lenses to come to focus.

I needed to add a clip in Astronomik clear filter to use my lenses.

• Like 1