Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

SH2-129 Flying Bat Nebula

carastro

This is taken over 4 nights, but some nights I didn't collect much due to cloud, short nights and Clamshell dome obstruction Now fixed) 

I decided not to waste any more time trying to reveal the Squid in Bortle 8, though I did do twice as much data on Oiii as the Ha with a fast lens.

In total:
Ha 12 x 600secs (total 2 hours)
Oiii 2 x 20mins, 2 x 30mins, and 7 x 15mins 3 x 900secs binned x 2 (total 4 hours 10 mins)

Atik460EX and Samyang 135mm F2 lens @ F2.8
Guided on HEQ5

Total imaging time 6 hours and 10 mins.

spacer.png

• Like 34

Like you, I am working this one and have been for some time. I have not given up on getting the squid just yet....but it is a long way off. Rather than "waste" too many nights on it.....it has become a secondary target for me....just grabbing a few subs whenever it is convenient....e.g. last night I got 3 x 10 minute OIII subs to add to what is in the bag already. (I wonder if I will ever get to show a finished image....it is touch & go 🤔)

You might go back to this at some stage....but be prepared for a long haul if you do 🤭

• Like 1

You might go back to this at some stage....but be prepared for a long haul if you do 🤭

Yes I might when the nights get a bit longer, but I already tried it from a darker location even with 30min binned x 2 subs and although it shows some of the Squid, it doesn't show a complete squid.

Nice Bat Carole, if I'm imaging tonight I'll try a quick 20 minutes O3 on it to see if it's any better from here, 110mm @ f5.6.

Doing Elephant Trunk so not far away.

Dave have you got 3nm Oiii?  I gather that is really what you need to get it.  Be interested to see how you get on. 

Carole 

Well done Carole, on two fronts, firstly its a cracking image, and secondly staying up to 

gain the data on the limited window we have this time of year,

The lens done a great job of gaining the data, nice combo with the atik camera

Nicely done.

Paul 

• Like 1

Great Ha result, Carole. The Squid is indeed horribly faint. When processing, have you tried de-starring the OIII then giving it an unwholesome, manic, full-on madman stretch? It would need de-noising on a grand scale but might allow you to pull it into the green and blue channels. I promise you, my Squid was not pretty as an OIII image.

Olly

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, carastro said:

This is taken over 4 nights, but some nights I didn't collect much due to cloud, short nights and Clamshell dome obstruction Now fixed) 

I decided not to waste any more time trying to reveal the Squid in Bortle 8, though I did do twice as much data on Oiii as the Ha with a fast lens.

In total:
Ha 12 x 600secs (total 2 hours)
Oiii 2 x 20mins, 2 x 30mins, and 7 x 15mins 3 x 900secs binned x 2 (total 4 hours 10 mins)

Atik460EX and Samyang 135mm F2 lens @ F2.8
Guided on HEQ5

Total imaging time 6 hours and 10 mins.

spacer.png

"My god , Its full of stars", 

Roger

Thanks every-one. 

When processing, have you tried de-starring the OIII then giving it an unwholesome, manic, full-on madman stretch? It would need de-noising on a grand scale but might allow you to pull it into the green and blue channels.

I tried that Olly and also your Exploiting the Equalise function, but I think there is not yet enough data, so might carry on taking a bit more from time to time and see whether more data and then what you suggest will work.  Generally I find star removal makes a terrible mess of the Nebula, so will have to see. 

Carole

• Like 1

On 22/06/2020 at 16:10, Kinch said:

Like you, I am working this one and have been for some time. I have not given up on getting the squid just yet....but it is a long way off. Rather than "waste" too many nights on it.....it has become a secondary target for me....just grabbing a few subs whenever it is convenient....e.g. last night I got 3 x 10 minute OIII subs to add to what is in the bag already. (I wonder if I will ever get to show a finished image....it is touch & go 🤔)

Snap, thats how mine is going too

• Like 1

I went from the Elephant trunk over to the bat and was shocked how dim it is, and that was in HA.. 

The Squid is in the Oiii channel, you can't see it in Ha, which makes it doubly difficult.

Carole 

23 minutes ago, carastro said:

The Squid is in the Oiii channel, you can't see it in Ha, which makes it doubly difficult.

Carole 

I was comparing how dim the bat was to the Elephant.. but you can see where the squid is in HA without actually seeing it..

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

I accepted defeat on this object last year when I tried it and I went back on this last night  with my new configuration, my previous was a triscope @F5.6 400mm canon lens and the 3hrs OIII only barely shows the outline on the tip. Now with the new configuration 714mm F7 reduced to 571mm @ F5.6 and 3x 3nm OIII and in one night I was able to make out the squid with 3.5hrs of imaging time (or about 10.5hrs data) in single night. The tri-scope is equivalent to F2.8 single scope. Tonight I have another 4-5hrs of clear sky in the forecast so hopefully I will get more detail. I have bortle 6.

Telescope: https://flic.kr/p/2gAfKn7

121 x 300sec Gain=200  Offset=45 on ZWO ASI1600MM

squid-2.jpg

Edited by retret66
  • Like 5

After the first night when the smoke no longer in the east coast I was able to add more for a total of about 35hrs on OIII. 571mm @F5.6 on Bortle 6. I will add more tonight and excellent seeing and transparency on the forecast. Most likely another 15hrs will be added tonight.

336 x 300s OIII
47 x 600s OIII

squid.jpg

Edited by retret66
  • Like 3