Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

eq8 r

spillage

Hi All,

I am just wondering how good these mounts are when guiding. I now the newer ones have belts on the RA and DEC so the backlash issues should now have been resolved. I have a eq6 that performs around 0.7-0.9 on average (sometimes better, sometimes worse) but how would going up to an 8 improve things. Will I just get a more solid rms or would you expect the 8 be below the 0.5 rms mark?

The neq6 is belt modded and has the upgraded wedge so other than spending a few hundred on the zero backlash worm mount there is not allot to improve it. Would the jump to the eq8 be worth the money? I guess the next step would be a mesu.

Any experience of these would be helpful.

On 20/06/2020 at 03:58, spillage said:

Hi All,

I am just wondering how good these mounts are when guiding. I now the newer ones have belts on the RA and DEC so the backlash issues should now have been resolved. I have a eq6 that performs around 0.7-0.9 on average (sometimes better, sometimes worse) but how would going up to an 8 improve things. Will I just get a more solid rms or would you expect the 8 be below the 0.5 rms mark?

The neq6 is belt modded and has the upgraded wedge so other than spending a few hundred on the zero backlash worm mount there is not allot to improve it. Would the jump to the eq8 be worth the money? I guess the next step would be a mesu.

Any experience of these would be helpful.

Hello, 

From a cursory search here on SG - there have been discussions about this mount in the past. 

You may want to consider reviewing those as a start, then perhaps either posting to any them that are relevant, or contacting one of more owners for feedback. 

Hope this helps.., 

Best., 

bsdsgl84 

Edited by bsdsgl84

Looks like all previous threads are just talking about the new style mounts or complaining about DEC backlash in the older ones. I am going to have to agree with @Freddie. There must only be a handful out there.

I have trawled the forum and seem to find the older ones are guiding anywhere between 1 and .5". I am fully aware of weights balance and all the other things to take into consideration and understand its not a mesu. But it would be nice to have a end users opinion on the new mount just for a little info.

• 4 weeks later...

My 2 cents, if your thinking of dropping 3k down for a mount I would seriously consider friction drive, either Gemini, JTW or Mesu (S/H). Zero backlash and the quality may be slightly higher, reflected in the slightly higher price.

1 hour ago, SamAndrew said:

Yep, very few EQ8-R owners out there it seems; not much feedback yet, it's still a relatively new mount. A new Mesu is nearly £6K once you add counter weights, so significantly more expensive.

See post from Skipper Billy, second hand the Mesu can offer a substantial saving over new.

Thanks for all the replies and info. I have seen the mesu on abs and really would have considered it. Unfortunately I do not go back to work until October (if I end up having a job to go back to) so will have to wait to see how things pan out. A second hand mesu would be my first choice but a brand new eq8 would be a close second. I think for now my old neq6 is doing okay and generally guiding at 0.7" so not awful.

• 2 weeks later...
On 21/07/2020 at 09:02, Neil27 said:

My 2 cents, if your thinking of dropping 3k down for a mount I would seriously consider friction drive, either Gemini, JTW or Mesu (S/H). Zero backlash and the quality may be slightly higher, reflected in the slightly higher price.

Slightly higher?

A Mesu mount is almost exactly double the price. They rarely appear second hand, though there might be a few popping up in the next 6 months as the forthcoming recession takes effect.

The Gemini is 30% more expensive and that excludes the controllers and shipping

The JTW mount is €4100, VAT excluded, so add another 20% on top. And that's assuming that the thing is even shipping.

That's a long way from "slightly higher"!

Edited by Zakalwe

23 minutes ago, Zakalwe said:

A Mesu mount is almost exactly double the price.

When thinking about the benefits of higher priced gear, it is always worth stopping to consider what other goodies you could spend the cost difference on if you bought the cheaper option. Then weigh up the performance improvement (if any) against the fun, quality, ease or whatever else floats your boat that you would get from the lower-cost item and all the extra stuff ;)

Edited by pete_l
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Zakalwe said:

Slightly higher?

A Mesu mount is almost exactly double the price. They rarely appear second hand, though there might be a few popping up in the next 6 months as the forthcoming recession takes effect.

The Gemini is 30% more expensive and that excludes the controllers and shipping

The JTW mount is €4100, VAT excluded, so add another 20% on top. And that's assuming that the thing is even shipping.

That's a long way from "slightly higher"!

I think anyone looking at these mounts have a pretty good idea of their respective prices, both new and on the used markets.

Slightly higher to some people maybe interpreted as significantly higher to others.

The OP appeared to understand my original comment which was ‘Significantly’ about the drive systems.

Cheers,

I think due to the fact that you can find very few reviews on the new eq8 says allot. I think it would be wise to make do with what I have and keep on saving towards something like a mesu (which would be my main goal). I know one is available second hand but due to work conditions I cannot spend that type of money on a hobby at this moment in time. If one comes up later and I have the cash then it would be a no brainer..

• 1 year later...
On 21/07/2020 at 03:14, Wintermute said:

I've had very good luck with guiding on my EQ8-R Pro. I run dual OTAs (8" RASA and Evostar 150mm apo) and have seen it get as good as .27 total RMS.

eq8_guiding_loaded.JPG

I am looking for a guide curve like this. What settings do you use in EQmod? if you use EQmod that is. 

Cheers 

• Like 1

I've just pre-ordered the EQ8 R pro and did some research and joined Eq8 r pro groups. I currently use a neq6 and used to synscan and eqmod so that was a factor. Also the price was a factor being at the top of what I can afford. I've always bought second hand so didn't want to buy second hand again for a mount that will last me the rest of my life at 63.

I know Skywatcher mounts aren't mesu and I might need to adjust thing's. I've modded my neq6 over the years and tuned it so I'm not daunted by that. In fact I love taking things apart and upgrading parts as part of the enjoyment of the hobby. I've learnt so much by doing so. 

Perhaps the reason there isn't much talk about the new Eq8 r pro mount is because it works. Most noise you hear from people is complaining because of problems. Maybe, just maybe it's a better more refined mount in it's new reincarnation. I'm hoping so. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Nigella Bryant said:

I've just pre-ordered the EQ8 R pro and did some research and joined Eq8 r pro groups. I currently use a neq6 and used to synscan and eqmod so that was a factor. Also the price was a factor being at the top of what I can afford. I've always bought second hand so didn't want to buy second hand again for a mount that will last me the rest of my life at 63.

I know Skywatcher mounts aren't mesu and I might need to adjust thing's. I've modded my neq6 over the years and tuned it so I'm not daunted by that. In fact I love taking things apart and upgrading parts as part of the enjoyment of the hobby. I've learnt so much by doing so. 

Perhaps the reason there isn't much talk about the new Eq8 r pro mount is because it works. Most noise you hear from people is complaining because of problems. Maybe, just maybe it's a better more refined mount in it's new reincarnation. I'm hoping so. 

Exciting times, Nigella. Will be interested to hear how you get on. I hear good things about that mount 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Nigella Bryant said:

Yes Jeremy, I am excited but probably have to wait a long time for it to arrive. I too have heard good things about the new Eq8 R pro mount. Here's hoping. 

It is an excellent mount, but don’t expect much difference from the older version, other than the built in hub, and better clutch levers, it’s pretty much the same, but still a very good mount as is the older one…backlash issue is the same too, but not much of an issue really…and can be adjusted out if needed…enjoy when it finally arrives…👍🏼

• Like 1