NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Hello

Sam101

Hello All,

I’m a complete novice, but always had an interest in the night sky, just brought Sky-Watcher Explorer 130 (EQ-2) can’t wait for it to arrive and I can get started. Been watch YouTube video after YouTube video to get some tip, looking forward to checking out The moon, planets  then moving on to stars! Hopefully will come back with some good results, I’m from the Nottingham area so if anyone know of any good places to visit please let me know.

Sam

Hi Sam welcome to SGL, 

My first telescope arrived yesterday, the “Sky-Watcher Explorer 130” also! I took it out late last night/early morning really good and if the sky is clear for you there is lots to see! I’m a total beginner, so being apart of SGL will help. I cruised around all the different forums sucking up all the information and experience people have on here and if you have questions ask away everyone is super friendly and helpful!
Enjoy Mick 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Red Top Miguel said:

Hi Sam welcome to SGL, 

My first telescope arrived yesterday, the “Sky-Watcher Explorer 130” also! I took it out late last night/early morning really good and if the sky is clear for you there is lots to see! I’m a total beginner, so being apart of SGL will help. I cruised around all the different forums sucking up all the information and experience people have on here and if you have questions ask away everyone is super friendly and helpful!
Enjoy Mick 

How did the set-up did you find it easy??

Hi Sam,

The setup was nice and straight forward, nothing to difficult however I do have a different mount to yours the AZ5. The instructions were well worded and easy to follow so I’m sure your EQ-2 Mount will no doubt have something similar. Before you know it you’ll be in your garden/open space searching the night sky. I do recommend the following apps if you have an iPhone which were particularly helpful last night when out with my telescope.

1. SkySafari

2. Clear Outside (Made by FLO) 

Also a lot of people in SGL also recommend the book “Turn left at Orion”, which I’ve ordered from amazon today. 
Enjoy/have fun Mick

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Sam101 said:

How did the set-up did you find it easy??

Hi Sam and welcome to sgl. I see you bought a eq type mount.

Watch this guys videos here  EOTS2 EOTS. He is a little cheesy but also very good with it. Explains how to use your mount, wish I had watched this when I got my eq mount and scope 10 years since.

He has made loads and loads of videos, watching a few more may be helpful to you also to get started. 

Edited by bomberbaz
  • Thanks 1