Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Hello - about 30 years late!

Hi,

I have had a keen interest in astronomy for the best part of 30 years but what are theory lessons with no practical ones?

I have at last taken the plunge and took delivery last Friday of my first scope last week together with a steady stream of accessories!

For my initial setup I have opted for:

Celestron 130 SLT

Celestron NexImage 5 Imager

I realise the limitations of this setup but see it as a stepping stone for the future.

I stumbled across this forum when looking at cons to this beginner scope and read a very useful post on modifying the 130 SLT with tube rings and an additional dovetail bar to reduce tube vibration - I completed this mod yesterday and what a difference it has made.

I have an interest in both astronomy and astrophotography and very much looking forward to collaborating with fellow enthusiasts here.

I'll sign off with my first ever photo taken last night. It is not without its faults but very motivating for my new addiction. Taken with the setup above with 450 frames stacked in AS!3.

Clear skies all.

Moon20002 23-09-58.jpg

Welcome for SGL

That's actually the same mount/OTA that SWMBO forced to me to buy I got about 6 years ago.

You get good results from them - as you have shown with your first image.

I also added tube rings on mine.

Another thing I would do was to hang a plastic grocery bag loaded with full bottles of water from the lens tray to increase mount stability - based on advice from our 'proper' clever daughter and also the constructions of several large building with pendula build in.

1 hour ago, iapa said:

Welcome for SGL

That's actually the same mount/OTA that SWMBO forced to me to buy I got about 6 years ago.

You get good results from them - as you have shown with your first image.

I also added tube rings on mine.

Another thing I would do was to hang a plastic grocery bag loaded with full bottles of water from the lens tray to increase mount stability - based on advice from our 'proper' clever daughter and also the constructions of several large building with pendula build in.

I was really surprised by the difference the tube rings made - following focusing, the tube comes to rest within about 3 seconds as opposed to the 10 odd. The Sky-Watcher 160mm rings and dovetail bar have added quite a bit of weight - I wonder what effect it will have on the relatively flimsy mount over time. The only saving grace being that I am enjoying my new hobby so much there is little chance of hardware failure before equipment starts multiplying in the house. I just need to strike the right balance between earning brownie points and spending them!

The advise about weighting the mount sounds excellent. I will try that as soon as possible (hopefully for an hour tomorrow night according to ClearOutside!).

Out of interest, how long did you have your first setup and what did you opt for as its replacement?