Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

And now it's not just Space X

JamesF

https://spaceflightnow.com/2020/02/04/first-satellites-off-onewebs-new-florida-assembly-line-set-for-launch-this-week/

I know space is big.  Really big.  Vastly, hugely, mind-bogglingly big in fact.  But I can't help thinking that at some point these things are going to start bumping into each other.  Or even something else.

James

• Sad 5

It's all about the money! Every vendor is saying we're trying to bring internet access to areas that dont have it.

But do you think they are going to hand out free iPhones and internet service to those in those isolated villages in Africa, or the little towns in North Korea??

15 minutes ago, maw lod qan said:

But do you think they are going to hand out free iPhones and internet service to those in those isolated villages in Africa, or the little towns in North Korea??

Perhaps, but only if they think they can sell them loads of stuff.

James

As it seems these will envelope the globe what do China and Russia think of what are in effect multiple US satellites over them?

Out of even 200 are all commerical or are a small few CIA. Nice disguise in a way - hide a few surveillance satellite in a crowd of 200 communications ones. US will not have Huawei phones and hardware so maybe China will be against orbiting "US" satellites.

Becomes the same arguement: Huawei phones "spying" for Chinese Government and Amazon Satellites "spying" for the US government.

3 hours ago, PEMS said:

As it seems these will envelope the globe what do China and Russia think of what are in effect multiple US satellites over them?

China and Russia will have their own constellations, as will UK, ESA, Japan, India, Saudi etc. There will be 100s of 1000s of satellites up there!

I've not been doing astrophotography long, probably won't be doing it for much longer!

Sadly, no.

This is the same argument that is going on in the rural area where I live. People move out here and then complain about the growth.

I hate to think of Earth someday being so populated that it's like the planet on Star Wars which is entirely covered with city.

World wide cell phone and internet! We've come so far since we had 'party lines' and only 2 or three fuzzy channels on a round television.