NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Rowan AZ100 Mount Owners Thread

johninderby

12 minutes ago, Captain Magenta said:

Before I got to this post I had precisely the same question bouncing around my head. And seeing @John’s reply my heart sank ... I so wanted the answer to be “no no no FAR too heavy”.

Magnus

I ought to qualify my reply by saying that was without the 2 Rowan 3.8 kg counterweights that I needed for the scope that I was using to test the mounts operation.

Also I guess I ought to add that "Your Mileage May Vary". We are not all the same shape, size and capacity as humans !

Edited by John
  • Like 3

Hello. Second saddle and adjuster plate fitted.  SW c/w bar fits nicely. Given my SW c/w’s a paint job so not to spoil the show. 
So far so good. Now try to set up 2 scopes to look at the same part of the cosmos !!!!!!  I may be a while ?!  Cloudy  - so will try using a lamppost in the distance. 

John 

5F9DA90E-4207-4F70-9F5D-B7901C1DC3F8.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Hello. All set and good to go. Both scopes loaded and the mount doesn’t seem to notice the weight.With one  scope in place it just runs fine. Weights added and it’s solid. 

Scopes are aligned pretty well. Will only tell for sure once out for a session. 

John 

F5C71BED-7047-415D-82F3-F76095F32EB4.jpeg

A394481C-F4AE-4ABC-8122-882888A4E2F1.jpeg

4841CAE6-6F16-478F-9CD1-C7E8B3D55C9E.jpeg

03A69398-6173-47E5-8D5A-D772AD8CFC08.jpeg

3D89F87E-B9C7-4E15-859C-23761FCC398D.jpeg

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, Telescope40 said:

Hello. All set and good to go. Both scopes loaded and the mount doesn’t seem to notice the weight.With one  scope in place it just runs fine. Weights added and it’s solid. 

Scopes are aligned pretty well. Will only tell for sure once out for a session. 

John 

F5C71BED-7047-415D-82F3-F76095F32EB4.jpeg

A394481C-F4AE-4ABC-8122-882888A4E2F1.jpeg

4841CAE6-6F16-478F-9CD1-C7E8B3D55C9E.jpeg

03A69398-6173-47E5-8D5A-D772AD8CFC08.jpeg

3D89F87E-B9C7-4E15-859C-23761FCC398D.jpeg

The AZ 100 hasn’t even broken a sweat 😊

Looks superb 👍🏻

3 hours ago, JeremyS said:

The AZ 100 hasn’t even broken a sweat 😊

Looks superb 👍🏻

Yes @JeremyS 

Considering the scopes come in at a fighting weight of 12kg and 6.5 kg , the mount seems unperturbed. Don’t get me wrong. I did have a Skytee for a long time but would not have popped both these scopes on the Stee 2 with any confidence, a solid mount that they are. 
John 

• Like 2

In case (excuse the pun) anyone’s struggling to find a suitable storage solution for the AZ100, I found that an old Peli 1510 I had knocking around and which I was about to advertise fitted the mount perfectly.  My AZ100 is fitted with all the bells and whistles (DV saddles on both sides plus the altitude adjuster on one) and it all fits very snuggly in the Peli. Plus, there’s room at the top for the Nexus DSC, shelf and encoder cables with the flexi slow motion cables and pan handle sitting on top (not shown).
Pelis are by no means cheap and this one retails new for about £195 here in the UK but personally I think it’s worth it to provide maximum protection for what is by no means a cheap mount.

Alan

13436500-0BEC-4523-B56E-5694ED116DCD.jpeg

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Whilst not in the same class as a Peli Case, I have mine in a Really Useful Box with some eggcase foam. I use a bigger RUB for an 8" cassegrain. They are economic and loads of sizes to choose from. Even with foam sheets think £30 - 40. 

Will add a photo from pc later.

IMG_20201009_233529.jpg

Edited by Stephenstargazer
add photo
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, laudropb said:

I have just heard from FLO that my AZ100  and accessories are on their way to me. Therefore I would like to submit a formal request to join this honourable club.

I thought enrolment was automatic upon ownership  😁

I hope you enjoy your AZ once it arrives 👍

• Like 1

On 09/02/2021 at 15:04, Telescope40 said:

Hello. All set and good to go. Both scopes loaded and the mount doesn’t seem to notice the weight.With one  scope in place it just runs fine.

Have you got the mount on a UNI 18 or 28? Does that work OK even with two scopes? I am just weighing up which tripod to go for and portability is important to me. I would rather not lug a Planet around but don't want to limit the Rowan too much either.

Anyone else using Berlebach, or other tripods, want to chip in??

• Like 1

Mine is on a Planet as i bought the tripod a couple of years before the AZ was available. I wanted a spreader and not the chains, adding the spreader to the UNI took the cost too close to the planet to ignore doubling the load - they say you can never be over mounted.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Stephenstargazer said:

Have you got the mount on a UNI 18 or 28? Does that work OK even with two scopes? I am just weighing up which tripod to go for and portability is important to me. I would rather not lug a Planet around but don't want to limit the Rowan too much either.

Anyone else using Berlebach, or other tripods, want to chip in??

Hello. The tripod is a UNI 28. I have the spreader bars and tray to fit it too but seems very stable without. Had the tripod a while now. Very happy with it. HTH 

John 

Edited by Telescope40
  • Like 2

I have mine on an iOptron Tri-Pier which I already owned and just added the EQ6 adapter.  I thought about getting another top plate for my UNI18 for the AZ100 but I’m very happy with the Tri-pier and I think it’s a good match especially with heavier scopes.  The Tri-pier is a little heavier than a Planet but it has lots of clearance for long refractors and I quite like the fact that you can adjust the pier settings for height.

3AFB8B1B-DF0B-4A20-9E5C-5BCF22E98A38.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for all the good advice, each choice of trpod has it's merit! As my intention is to keep this set up quite light and easy to put in the car I have opted for the UNI 24 which FLO have just dispatched. However we all know about good intentions! I could (in theory) fit it to my pier (using the Rowan adapter) for home use / multi scopes etc but then that is what my equatorial mount  is meant for.

How fortunate to be faced with such 1st world decisions 🤔. Will post photos later as they help others visualise different set ups, certainly helped me 🙂 !IMG_20210219_160617.thumb.jpg.d20b5b4f3697be1db0d79af4373a4e3a.jpg

Delivered very quickly, not a nice day so photos inside.

Right choice ? YES. Very solid and for me the planet would have been overkill. I could have got away with the UNI18 but the 28 is just right for me at minimum height when seated. The extra height is available for standing viewing which is easier when sharing the telescope with others.  I dont use a dovetail bar and clamp but the scope still (just) clears the tripod when pointed to zenith and rotated 360deg. I like the tray which fixes the legs just as well as the solid spreader. The tray will get eyepiece holes and a bag for transport is likely so as not to mark the wood. The chain is discarded!

Spot the Goldilocks length flexibles and the nifty RHS Pan handle from Derek. The extra finder bracket for a red dot is mine, prefer it out the way once the alignment stars have been found.

IMG_20210219_160800.jpg

Edited by Stephenstargazer
add photos and comment
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Stephenstargazer said:

Thanks for all the good advice, each choice of trpod has it's merit! As my intention is to keep this set up quite light and easy to put in the car I have opted for the UNI 24 which FLO have just dispatched. However we all know about good intentions! I could (in theory) fit it to my pier (using the Rowan adapter) for home use / multi scopes etc but then that is what my equatorial mount  is meant for.

How fortunate to be faced with such 1st world decisions 🤔. Will post photos later as they help others visualise different set ups, certainly helped me 🙂 !

Good choice. I have to say Berlebachs are much nicer to handle than the tri-pier.

• Like 1