NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Warm boot recommendations

Littleguy80

I use some Wychwwod Carp  fishing boots with the liners.

Recently I got some marino socks from mountain warehouse which are quite good.

do not excede what i call "crictical sock mass" by squashing too many socks into your boots and losing the insulating air pockets.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

40 minutes ago, Ibbo! said:

Damn that's why I never caught any fish, I had the wrong boots 😂

I have a cheap pair of waterproof fur lined boots from EB, alright for keeping feet warm but wouldn't want to walk far in them.

Dave

• Haha 3

I'm getting a pair of Artic Sport Muck Boots in the next few days. PeterW has found them good I believe so am hopeful they will work well. I might add a pair of Paul's socks too!

My issues are more about remembering to put them on! So often I find myself out observing in my crocs, wondering why my feet are cold! 🤣🤣

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

7 hours ago, Ibbo! said:

do not excede what i call "crictical sock mass" by squashing too many socks into your boots and losing the insulating air pockets.

Now this may actually be my issue. My boots are very tight with the socks I’m wearing!

25 minutes ago, Stu said:

I'm getting a pair of Artic Sport Muck Boots in the next few days. PeterW has found them good I believe so am hopeful they will work well. I might add a pair of Paul's socks too!

My issues are more about remembering to put them on! So often I find myself out observing in my crocs, wondering why my feet are cold! 🤣🤣

lol I’m definitely guilty of that too. 

I looked at some of the artic muck boots but the shorter versions. The reviews were a bit variable. Will be interested to hear how you get on with them.

7 hours ago, Littleguy80 said:

Cold feet are still by nemesis during these sub zero winter nights. I picked up some cheaper snow boots last winter but they’re not getting the job done, even with ski socks and neoprene socks on! Any suggestions to keep my toes warm?

How about hot socks? I have just got a pair of these to use for cycling as cold feet are the bane of my life.

• Thanks 2

5 hours ago, jetstream said:

Sorels are good, I like Baffin better. There are huge differences in boots that can keep you warm when stationary vs walking IMHO.

https://www.baffin.com/collections/winter/products/epicm005

I’m glad you responded, Gerry. When reading reviews, I’ve been giving extra points to boots with positive reviews in Canada. Static vs walking has been on my mind too. Lots of reviews saying “great while walking the dog”. My feet will warm up with a short walk so try they’re not bad in that respect.  It’s the sitting still where my feet get cold. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Ibbo! said:

Recently I got some marino socks from mountain warehouse which are quite good.

On the subject of fishing boots, last winter I was using some old SkeeTex boots which I'd had for fishing as teenager. These were very good but the liners were falling apart and they were quite bulky. 

8 hours ago, Ibbo! said:

Absolutely right, that's a very real effect!

I do like 'critical sock mass' 🤣🤣

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Littleguy80 said:

They look really good. If my issue is too many socks this may be the answer. 

If it ever stops raining here and I can go outside on my bike I'll let you know how these perform...... I really do suffer from cold feet to the extent that the ONLY way I have found any relief so far has been wrapping my feet in tinfoil. The downside was the small cuts I had all over my ankles for days and the mess of trying to get the broken tinfoil put of my socks and off my feet!!!

• Like 1

Winter camping has always been my thing. I have some Sorel Glacier XTs I used in Arctic Norway but they are overkill for the UK, even winter camping up high in the Cairngorms, except when it's below -10C or -15C. Those temps really don't happen much unless you are camping on top of Ben Macdui in January. Like most things crammed into my house, they were second hand but like new, £60. 

https://www.sorel.com/mens-glacier-xt-boot-1573891.html

Don't think about trying to drive in them, haha.

Realistically, just get some cheap Trespass snow boots maybe a size up with plenty of wriggle room as suggested above, but find some really scratchy, coarse wool socks. A Russian friend claimed the slight itching effect of the wool promotes circulation and I can only agree.

Cotton socks are just a no go. I also picked up two pairs of fleece JCB socks from Morrison petrol station (random purchase!) and they are actually decent.

• Like 2

I have oversized bits that let me put more socks on. I use "heatholders" socks. They are effective although they wear out quickly.

However after much experimentation and experience I discovered that the single most effective way of keeping my feet warm is to keep my head warm!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

31 minutes ago, swag72 said:

If it ever stops raining here and I can go outside on my bike I'll let you know how these perform...... I really do suffer from cold feet to the extent that the ONLY way I have found any relief so far has been wrapping my feet in tinfoil. The downside was the small cuts I had all over my ankles for days and the mess of trying to get the broken tinfoil put of my socks and off my feet!!!

if you don't already, tape up all the air vents on your shoes.. keeps the wet out too

37 minutes ago, Laurin Dave said:

if you don't already, tape up all the air vents on your shoes.. keeps the wet out too

High altitude mountain climbers sometimes use vapour barrier liners, which is a fancy way of saying a.) first wear thin liner socks (just thin polyester dress socks from ASDA will do), then b.) put the now infamous single use plastic bags on your feet (also found at Asda 🤣), then c.) your warm socks. It prevents perspiration from getting into the thick outer sock and ultimately your boot, which causes loss of insulative properties. It also stops the foot from perspiring which also helps to increase heat. Of course you'd need to go a size up so feet aren't crammed in there.  

Perhaps easier just to run in place or take a brisk but brief walk - with astronomy it's the stationary aspect that slows circulation. Hillwalkers will know this - it's freezing cold at the start of a climb, then by the time they are halfway up, they are stripping layers and opening zips.

If you really want to be different, (not really practical for 99.9% of British weather) go native and get some Russian Valenki s galoshi (felt wool boots and rubber slip on soles), Inuit Mukluk from North America or some Scandinavian reindeer slippers which look deceptively thin but are a popular traditional winter footwear in Sami regions. I was in Kautokeino, Norway one February, it was nudging -35C or more (digital thermometer at the local Statoil wouldn't go any lower) and many locals were wearing reindeer slippers. You don't need rubber soles, everything is frozen solid and the hairs on the bottom grip like cross country ski skins.  Probably not practical for your local high street in the Midlands however! 🤣

Edited by Ships and Stars
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Littleguy80 said:

I’m glad you responded, Gerry

I've had many many boots over the years- as a kid Sorels were king and are very good and have used the excellent ones @Ships and Stars mentioned. A lot of warm boots are bulky, but some are VG for walking such as hunting/hiking boots. I just use the Baffin Titan rubber boots for everything these days and are great on the ice or if having sled issues in the cat tails (slush, water). I do have a light set of cheap Walmart "Sorel" type knockoff boots rated for -30c and are no where near that rating. I had them on the other night observing and should have worn the other ones. They are really light though.

Another VG resource will be @scarp15 an accomplished trekker.

I've had hypothermia onset numerous times observing and normally the feet are not the contributing factor for me- its the hands,neck and head. A hat seems to aggravate eyepiece frosting, a real issue in the cold.

One rule of thumb- good boots are not cheap.

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, Ships and Stars said:

put the now infamous single use plastic bags on your feet

When I was young, we all did this lol! All the little kids back then walking to school in -30+c. Now they shut the schools down and most all kids catch the bus.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3