Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Warm boot recommendations

Littleguy80

12 minutes ago, Littleguy80 said:

Found these for £93 which looks like a good deal. They’re some big boots. I’ll look like a kid wearing his Dad’s boots 😂

Rest assured, you will never need a warmer pair of boots! The nice thing I like about them is that the liner boot comes out and you can wear them around like slipper boots, very comfortable - the liners actually look and act like the Russian Valenki I mentioned above. 

£93 isn't bad actually. You can always sell them on if you ever wanted to, and it's not likely you'll wear the soles out for many, many years. They are huge but very comfortable.  No driving in these unless you want to end up in someone's front room 😉 

Edited by Ships and Stars
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

If the cold is expected to bite, I will utilise my Scarpa SLX, 4 season leather winter mountain boots. A substantial sole and insoles can help prevent cold penetrating from the ground. Combined with a thick pair of winter merino wool (Smart Wool) socks. Ski socks are no good they are not thick enough. Keeping off wind-chill is important depending upon where you are set up, leather is good for this. I like to observe seated, my observers chair has a foot rest, which is good for keeping feet off the ground, so to is a rubber mat to stand on, which I always take to set the dob on. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Stu said:

My issues are more about remembering to put them on! So often I find myself out observing in my crocs, wondering why my feet are cold! 🤣🤣

That's age for you!

Which reminds me: happy birthday Stu!

Hope you don't mind if we all pop round later for a slice of cake.

Edited by JeremyS
  • Haha 4

1 hour ago, AstroNinja said:

I am on my second pair of North Face Chillkats and I have a pair of the Baffin Impact boots. Both very good :)

Jon

I just bought a pair of NF Chilkats. They seem fairly good (only had one outing so far) but they still leak heat through the soles. 3h at -8C and my feet were not too happy, despite oversized boots and extra wool socks. Does anyone have an opinion on different types of insoles? Do the aluminised ones work? Felt? Sheepskin? I’d hate to go through the hassle of electrically heated insoles. 

16 hours ago, Stu said:

I'm getting a pair of Artic Sport Muck Boots in the next few days. PeterW has found them good I believe so am hopeful they will work well. I might add a pair of Paul's socks too!

My issues are more about remembering to put them on! So often I find myself out observing in my crocs, wondering why my feet are cold! 🤣🤣

I read this and thought i'd get some too.

I live near a park and with all the rain really need some when walking round there.

They arrived a few days ago (officially a Xmas present)

Not worn them out and about yet, but tried them on. They are a touch on the snug side, and i went up half a size. (They don't do half sizes) I won't be wearing extra socks in them.

They are nicely made and look great, but they should be at £115 !!

My main worry so far is getting them off. Be warned, once on, they are a devil to remove.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Space Hopper said:

My main worry so far is getting them off. Be warned, once on, they are a devil to remove

That was one of my main criteria when looking- quick and easy to deploy as I hate walking boot style multi-lace hole pain in the.... I need something I can slip into from my normal shoes getting out the car and slip back out of easily and quickly. I missed the ones with Velcro and clips- they look ideal. The Sorel Caribou is ok on that front- just 4 big d-ring lace holes so easy to loosen and tighten. The other attraction was the sole tread which is little rounded spikes that I’m hoping will be easy to clear of mud before putting them in the car unlike a hiking type tread which is impossible without waking up all the locals banging them together with great force! 

57 minutes ago, markse68 said:

That was one of my main criteria when looking- quick and easy to deploy as I hate walking boot style multi-lace hole pain in the.... I need something I can slip into from my normal shoes

I bought some of these, nice and warm for standing around in but you wouldn't want to go hiking in them 😂

Dave

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/192677864320

Edited by Davey-T
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

I have had a pair of these special wellies for 10 years which I wear at star parties when imaging.

They are used by the British Antarctic survey team and are guaranteed for temperatures as low as - 60 C . I can thoroughly recommend them.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Baffin-Trapper-Wellington-85927-Regular/dp/B002C75IWO/ref=asc_df_B002C75IWO/?tag=googshopuk-21&linkCode=df0&hvadid=227037794808&hvpos=1o1&hvnetw=g&hvrand=6956481293693385897&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9045352&hvtargid=pla-381079807408&psc=1&th=1&psc=1 

• Like 3

As somebody else has mentioned, I used to use Skee Tex whilst fishing and found them excellent. Have a really thick sole which really helps cutting heat loss through the base of the foot. They do a field boot version that looks good. 

• Like 1