Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

The Hazards of a Permanent Observatory

tomato

Tonight Myself  and @Tomatobro we’re trying to get first light imaging on the Esprit now in it’s permanent dome observatory. It took two hours to sort out a serial coms issue with the mount (another story) and in the process of moving around in a confined dark space my brother sliced his head open on the Telrad glass, and then myself, walking at a crouch to get out through the observatory door, walked straight into the horizontal counter weight bar. My head came off worst (more blood).🤕

We did image M33 briefly, only to discover that the filters were in the other filter wheel.😳

AP can hurt your head as well as your wallet.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 4

5 minutes ago, tomato said:

We did image M33 briefly, only to discover that the filters were in the other filter wheel.😳

I'm sorry, but that made me laugh out loud.

A "fully loaded" observatory can be a bit of a health hazard what with all the bits sticking out everywhere.  I've had a few "near misses" when standing up having been working on cabling down at floor level.  Padding on the underside of the door opening may be a plan.  That one's bound to get you one day unless your usual observing gear includes a hard hat.

Hopefully the damage will heal quickly.

James

• Like 1

I knew with ultimately a dual rig in there moving around would be hazardous, hence having a warm room adjacent and (almost) remote imaging was the plan. I didn’t bank on the commissioning phase though.

Oh, I have hit my head on the door frame numerous times already, hence that is why I was crouching when I walked into the counter weight....😜

Just now, johninderby said:

Sounds like the plot for a book. 😁

I was thinking more of Poirot, myself :)

"Tell to me if you please, Monsieur Tomato, how did all this blood appear inside the observatory?  Or is it as Inspecteur Japp claims, merely ketchup?"

James

• Haha 3

Just now, johninderby said:

Just pray health and safety don’t realise how dangerous observatories are. 😁

Just think of the regulations. 🙀

Quite.  Using them during the hours of darkness will be completely out.

James

This made me laugh :D 

When I had the electricians working in my ROR Shed, I saw one guy hit his head a couple of times on the weight bar weights!! OUCH!! 😮  They were set horizontal as the roof was shut (raining). They should have asked for danger money lol. ( Or wore protective helmets  ;)

A friend of mine, when visiting my 10' x 8' shed, asked...Why so big? - Answer -So I can move without hurting myself 😛 ...... I will show him this thread when he visits next as good reasons ;) 

• Like 1

Just now, JamesF said:

James

This is why I use Anydesk....Sit in my safer House living room while, in the shed, the mount slews merrily away with no one to bump into :)

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, johninderby said:

Just pray health and safety don’t realise how dangerous observatories are. 😁

Just think of the regulations. 🙀

Hey, I was a Health and Safety Manager for a couple of years before my retirement, (that has something to do with why I retired), I definitely didn’t take my work home with me🤫.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, tomato said:

Hey, I was a Health and Safety Manager for a couple of years before my retirement, (that has something to do with why I retired), I definitely didn’t take my work home with me🤫.

In this instance, it might have helped if you had :D

You should drop by some time.  Perhaps when my father in law is using the grinding wheel, beneath which he has stacked several 20l cans of petrol, using no protective gear other than his normal specs.

James

17 hours ago, JamesF said:

In this instance, it might have helped if you had :D

You should drop by some time.  Perhaps when my father in law is using the grinding wheel, beneath which he has stacked several 20l cans of petrol, using no protective gear other than his normal specs.

James

It’s the Health and Safety at Work Act, so you can do what you like at home.😎

We have moved to a new development and I am surrounded by construction workers sans safety glasses, gloves, hearing protection, dust masks etc, it reminds me why my blood pressure was higher before I retired.

17 hours ago, JamesF said:

James

You got there before me -that was just what I thought when I read this.

Sorry @tomato when I first read this I reacted with a sad face but I have had to change it to Ha Ha now as the more I read through the replies the more I laughed.

Steve