SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

The SGL2019 What are you bringing thread

Helen

54 minutes ago, carastro said:

Me too. 

Just looked on my trusty website yr.no and it shows partly clear for Friday night and clear for Sunday night but some rain.

https://www.yr.no/place/United_Kingdom/England/Hereford/long.html

Doesn't show the any clear skies on BBC weather.

Too far ahead to be reliable anyway. 

Carole 

I have checked 8 different weather outlets each one is different and they change daily. I had the BBC weather app in my phone this told me totally different weather to what was on the TV. On TV said be clear all night whereas the app said cloud all night.

I believe the BBC get their weather from Metoffice but when you check both they have different forecasts unbelievable. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, carastro said:

Yes I agree.  I only believe the forecast nearer the time when 2 or more websites are saying the same.  Ironically the Met Office seems to me to be the least reliable.

Carole 

I`m going to check Wednesday night probably be accurate then If its raining all weekend I may not come dont fancy pitching a tent in the rain.

Paul

• Like 1

Based on the forecast I have now commited to not bringing the imaging setup, but will stick with the LX10. I'll be learning how to use it pretty much from scratch so if anyone is free and able to offer any tips on aligning and using the Magellan unit I would appreciate picking your brains. :)

• Like 1

5 hours ago, carastro said:

Yes I agree.  I only believe the forecast nearer the time when 2 or more websites are saying the same.  Ironically the Met Office seems to me to be the least reliable.

Carole 

I agree and don't tend to believe anything much more than 3 days in advance and like Carole only if 2 or more are in agreement, so I'll make my final kit choices about mid week. 

It can't be any worse than last year so I'm staying positive. I'll enjoy it whatever the weather. 

Ade

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, JohnSadlerAstro said:

Complete incompetence in setting up a tent! 😂 I'm probably going to arrive around 5ish, so it will be a race against darkness I fear. 😉

Is anyone going to bring a tractor to pull us out of the mud?

John

If the Wye gets any higher you'll need a tugboat rather than a tractor.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-50199254

Highest in 20 years supposedly, although I seem to remember it being worse a couple of years ago. No heavy rain forecast for this week coming though so dont think it will be a repeat of last year.

3 hours ago, tich said:

Both have our special hats at the ready now, hoping for some clear skies. 

IMG_20191026_120605.thumb.jpg.d367d711abf88fcb944e36420aed2fe2.jpg

My word - what a fine-looking couple! I'm voting for you as King and Queen of the Astro-prom! 😀

• Haha 2

19 hours ago, upahill said:

If the Wye gets any higher you'll need a tugboat rather than a tractor.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-50199254

Highest in 20 years supposedly, although I seem to remember it being worse a couple of years ago. No heavy rain forecast for this week coming though so dont think it will be a repeat of last year.

Unfortunately due to heavy rain and flooding this year's SGL Star Party is cancelled 🙁