Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Impossible viewing

Glob

Causing light pollution is now legally the same as causing noise pollution, you just don't hear of many prosecutions.

If the light is excessive, intrusive or otherwise annoying ask the council nicely to so something about it. If they then don't remind them that they may be breaking the law.

Steve

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, bilbo said:

Causing light pollution is now legally the same as causing noise pollution, you just don't hear of many prosecutions.

Surely, for light pollution, you meant to say:

you just don't see many prosecutions.”

😉

• Haha 1

On 06/10/2019 at 15:03, estwing said:

Tank of petrol is the best way of blocking street lights....

Altho not everyone drives nor has a license. My city stats says 1 million people take ttc a day.

Just saying i know lots people who dont drive that's y they live in cities where u have everything u need

Joejaguar 

Thanks guys, some very good comments to think about.

MikeDnight that is a very impressive set up you have there, I'd love to be able to do somthing like that but unfortunately it's not an option at this moment in time, maybe in the future.

Andy R unfortunately I don't drive mate, so unfortunately I have to make the most of what I have.

ScouseSpaceCadet that is a very good idea, I'd be interested to hear how you get on with the council, and in the meantime I'll definitely be looking in to that myself.

Thanks again everyone for the great advice, definitely lots to think about.

Regards

Glob 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Glob said:

Andy R unfortunately I don't drive mate, so unfortunately I have to make the most of what I have.

Hey next time im out in the wilderness ill drop you a message and see if you want a trip out with me. im started imaging lately so im not so much observing but im still learning.

I've been Moel Famau a few times and Llyn Brenig. the latter being better as its darker and not so many nightime idiots.

Andy

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Good result Kev. I've submitted two concerns inc. a photo using the council's online reporting form. Unfortunately, not one reply. I may have to resort to an old fashioned telephone moan!

On a more positive note, new 8ft panel fencing now obscures the lamp to approx. 6-8ft into the garden, creating a dark corridor along most of the length of the fencing for me to observe in, so I'm slightly less grumpy now...

Edited by ScouseSpaceCadet

On 07/10/2019 at 13:44, bilbo said:

If the light is excessive, intrusive or otherwise annoying ask the council nicely to so something about it. If they then don't remind them that they may be breaking the law.

Steve

I tried that but was told street lights are exempt from light pollution I have read up on it and indeed they are so in my case I`m stuffed.

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/artificial-light-nuisances-how-councils-deal-with-complaints

Scroll down to Artificial light not covered by statutory nuisance laws street lights are at the bottom of the list.

Edited by wookie1965

I would say that information is questionable, all the council sites I looked on show the same list---minus street lights.

Contact your local councils ( start with the Parish one & work up )....then your MP if the councils cant be bothered ( probably about 50% ).

A street light can still be classed as a nuisance, in many cases councils have fitted shields to prevent lights shining into bedrooms etc.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Kev M said:

I would say that information is questionable, all the council sites I looked on show the same list---minus street lights.

Contact your local councils ( start with the Parish one & work up )....then your MP if the councils cant be bothered ( probably about 50% ).

A street light can still be classed as a nuisance, in many cases councils have fitted shields to prevent lights shining into bedrooms etc.

I have contacted the council 3 times the last time the I will say gentleman I spoke to talked to me like I was a child and said street lights are not nuisance. I have written to my Mp twice and received no reply at all.

This is what I received on the 30th of September the 3rd time of reporting.

Hello Paul Lewis,

Your service request has been sent to St. Helens Council. Please review all the information below and keep it for your records:

SERVICE REQUEST #      4468601

CATEGORY    Light or Noise Pollution

Priority           High

Edited by wookie1965
  • Sad 1

My experience of the local council & MP is different, I may just have good ones.

I would keep badgering them, in person at the offices sometimes helps, eventually they might do something just to get rid of you.

Local press, waste of energy, not eco friendly, environtmental damage to wildlife etc etc.

Try and be a bigger nuisance to them than the light is....if you get my meaning.

Edited by Kev M
mistyped
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, wookie1965 said:

I have contacted the council 3 times the last time the I will say gentleman I spoke to talked to me like I was a child and said street lights are not nuisance.

I think it's correct that street lights are excluded from the laws on light pollution in terms of being a statutory nuisance, but that's just one law that doesn't apply.  It doesn't mean t hat it's perfectly fine to install a street light such that it shines directly into the upstairs windows of someone's home, for example.

James

13 minutes ago, JamesF said:

I think it's correct that street lights are excluded from the laws on light pollution in terms of being a statutory nuisance, but that's just one law that doesn't apply.  It doesn't mean t hat it's perfectly fine to install a street light such that it shines directly into the upstairs windows of someone's home, for example.

James

They came out and put a shield up second picture. First is what it's like in the bedroom with the shield on.

The very grumpy council man said the light does not fall on the second story so there is nothing we have to do.

20190323_221243.jpg

IMG-20190324-WA0002.jpg

Edited by wookie1965

• 2 weeks later...