NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Hi all

Hardhat2502

Hi all I’ve loved looking at the stars all my life and I’ve invested in a Seben 150mm 1400mm I’ve only got one eyepiece Witch is a plossl 6.5 mm  can u tell me what I can see in the night sky with this as everything I look at seems out of focus and maybe also a little bit of advise what I will need to look at the moon and planets thnx in advance ...lee 

Hmmm ...

First off, welcome Lee. I hope you have fun with your telescope. However, it’s hard to advise you without knowing a lot more about the scope - new from shop or pre-used; what you’re doing with it; where you are, and some other things, too!

The best thing is perhaps to seek out a local astro club or society. They’re usually friendly and happy to help.

If your scope is in good working order it is capable of letting you see an awful lot ... 👍

Edited by Floater

It’s second hand looks in great condition the scope is all lined up i checked this through a you tube video )) I’m in England in the midlands I just need some info about what I need to do to see the moon and stuff and will my eyepiece 6.5mm do this thnx for the welcome 👍 I’m a total newbie but eager to get going )) 

Edited by Hardhat2502

Point it at the moon, look through the eye piece, turn the focus knob slowly from one extreme to the other and hopefully you will have the top of your head popped off.

How much you see is part scope, part weather and part moon. Look every night as you never know when the weather closes in. Right now the moon is ‘very full’ a couple more days and the shadow area between light and dark, called the terminator will allow you to see craters and mountain ranges. 

I hope what you see will live with you for ever. If you have that ‘wonder’ the night sky is a riot of discovery that continues to make my jaw drop, hopefully yours too.

What you are using now might be good for lunar and if you look south Jupiter and to a lesser degree Saturn, but you may be inspired, I hope so. There are so many people who have been in your shoes and are currently smiling from ear to ear at what you are about to get into.

Marv

• Thanks 1

Please don’t give up. The sky is right there above you, look up, point your scope at it and look through it. A lot of what you see on here is not visually possible as it has been captured by layering images on top of each other.

I started two years ago. Read a lot of books, logged on this site everyday and tried to get out even for one hour on a clear night, yes I work for a living, probably like you.

Two years in I am totally committed, the night sky is the biggest stage show you will ever have a front row seat for free.

Marv

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

OK, if it’s properly colimated you’ll see the moon with a magnification of around 215x (focal length of  scope 1400, divided by focal length of  eyepiece 6.5). That’s pretty high power and so:

a) the view will depend on conditions in your area - mainly light pollution level - and on the occasion - cloud cover, transparency, seeing.

b) focus will be critical at that power. You will only have to move the draw tube a very small amount to ‘run through’ focus. Take it easy and slowly.

It might be a good idea to get a longer EP, anything up from 12mm (which would still give a mag of more than 100).  An EP of 24 mm will deliver a mag of about 60 and will be easier to use.

Edited by Floater
  • Thanks 1

Welcome Lee from Land Down Under

You travel the universe in this forum

I am out a couple times per month with my club, doing presentations in primary schools, Space Badge, Cubs, scouting movement

The harvest moon, last friday night, was set up park, foreshore near home, and was using a 25mm 1.25" eyepiece, with my 10" Flex Dob, and nice full eyepiece view

When showing Jupiter and Saturn, went up to 15mm wide-angle 1.25" eyepiece. 

Rings on Saturn stood out nicely, so did bands on Jupiter, and moons around Jupiter as well

The upper atmosphere was a bit hazy, due to severe bushfires had during the week

When the moon came up, was a bright orange, due to air pollution from bushfire

John

• Thanks 1

Welcome to the forum. As other's suggested I'd buy a 25mm eyepiece to help getting you used to finding object's. Your 6.5mm gives a high magnification to begin with but fine once you've centered the object. Have fun with it, learn the night sky with it. I'd also suggest an app like skysafari 6 Pro for a smartphone or tablet. You can hold it up against the sky and it will help you identify star constellations, where the planet's are, etc, etc. Think it's about £17 at the moment. 

• Thanks 1