NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

CEM60-EC and plethora of issues

souls33k3r

12 minutes ago, souls33k3r said:

Like Anne mentioned, there's a thread which I started on CN a while ago whether I should buy the CEM60 or the EC version which has morphed in to issues with the firmware. I stayed well away from doing any of the upgrades but clearly so many clever cogs are on it and have issues. I understand not nearly half of what those guys talk about but can clearly see that there is an issue with firmware. I don't even know what firmware I'm on but at least I know I haven't changed it. 

You've said it all Dave, at least I have the assurance of FLO brilliant customer service which is why I'm hopeful that my issue will be resolved. 

There's a setting in the handset which will show you the firmware. Menu button then setup I think. It'll say where to look in the full instructions too.

• Like 1

Another problem I had with the iEQ45 was a failure updating the firmware apparently once the ROM was deleted a failure necessitated a complete new motherboard, hope they've sorted that in the intervening years :grin:

Dave

5 minutes ago, Anne S said:

There's a setting in the handset which will show you the firmware. Menu button then setup I think. It'll say where to look in the full instructions too.

Yeah I'm sure it does tell you that on the handset but let me see if I can find it from the pc software because I need to get in the loft, take out the box and take off the seal from the handset :D

3 minutes ago, Davey-T said:

Another problem I had with the iEQ45 was a failure updating the firmware apparently once the ROM was deleted a failure necessitated a complete new motherboard, hope they've sorted that in the intervening years :grin:

Dave

Ouch! How long ago was this? I've heard that their QC has improved but I'm only telling you what I've heard 

Coming a little late to this, but the elongated stars may not be related to the PA issue.

How are you guiding, because I have seen and had a similar issue (elongated stars when PHD2 reported OK guiding).  This turned out to be differential flex between guide scope and imaging scope.  The problem went away when I switched to an OAG.  

This may not be relevant - not sure what scope/guider arrangements you have?

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, almcl said:

Coming a little late to this, but the elongated stars may not be related to the PA issue.

How are you guiding, because I have seen and had a similar issue (elongated stars when PHD2 reported OK guiding).  This turned out to be differential flex between guide scope and imaging scope.  The problem went away when I switched to an OAG.  

This may not be relevant - not sure what scope/guider arrangements you have?

Am guiding the same way as I have always been. Guide scope attached at the top of the main scope. The formation has not changed from when I was getting round stars to this. I will be using OAG but only on my SCT but that comes at a much later stage. 

13 minutes ago, Davey-T said:

I think you should defo get the handset plugged in and start from basics.

Dave

Am happy to listen to whatever advice tbh because I am out of ideas and patience now :(

2 minutes ago, souls33k3r said:

Am happy to listen to whatever advice tbh because I am out of ideas and patience now

Give it 20 years and you'll have either have developed more patience or taken up a more sensible hobby 😂

Dave

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, souls33k3r said:

Yeah I'm sure it does tell you that on the handset but let me see if I can find it from the pc software because I need to get in the loft, take out the box and take off the seal from the handset :D

Ouch! How long ago was this? I've heard that their QC has improved but I'm only telling you what I've heard 

The iEQ 45 Pro was firmware updatable as are the CEM's. Be aware I queried the firmware shown on the handset with the firmware shown on the iOptron website - iOptron will install the latest firmware to the mount at the factory but they just don't update the website. The website shows an older firmware version. Firmware numbers are in a date format so you can see which is the later version.

If you use the handset you will find various ways to set your PA - it's a great mount.

Edited by fwm891
text added

3 hours ago, fwm891 said:

The iEQ 45 Pro was firmware updatable as are the CEM's. Be aware I queried the firmware shown on the handset with the firmware shown on the iOptron website - iOptron will install the latest firmware to the mount at the factory but they just don't update the website. The website shows an older firmware version. Firmware numbers are in a date format so you can see which is the later version.

If you use the handset you will find various ways to set your PA - it's a great mount.

I'm sure it's a great mount, im just not so confident with what I've got is. I won't be the first. The whole reason why I paid for the lynx Astro FTDI cable was to get rid of the handset. It's one less cable to connect and take care of. 

Following this with interest as I have a new CEM60EC awaiting installation in my new observatory (probably at least another month until I can test). I hope you resolve your problems soon, and it turns out to be one of those irritatingly simple things.

In your position I would certainly be running tests with the handset. When I have any equipment problems I always go back to the ‘as delivered’ ‘as described in the manual’ configuration and protocol. It may help.

the only suggestion I can make which has not yet been chewed over, is to look at whether the GPS unit is providing the correct location. On my CG5-GT, I once gave it the wrong Lat and Long and it responded with really weird behaviour, including guiding problems and trailing. That I never understood. I could see why it would make Go-To fail, but guiding?

However, once given the correct location it was much happier.

A very tentative suggestion, as I don’t understand the mechanism by which it could produce your error, but elimination of possibilities is the name of the game.

35 minutes ago, old_eyes said:

Following this with interest as I have a new CEM60EC awaiting installation in my new observatory (probably at least another month until I can test). I hope you resolve your problems soon, and it turns out to be one of those irritatingly simple things.

In your position I would certainly be running tests with the handset. When I have any equipment problems I always go back to the ‘as delivered’ ‘as described in the manual’ configuration and protocol. It may help.

the only suggestion I can make which has not yet been chewed over, is to look at whether the GPS unit is providing the correct location. On my CG5-GT, I once gave it the wrong Lat and Long and it responded with really weird behaviour, including guiding problems and trailing. That I never understood. I could see why it would make Go-To fail, but guiding?

However, once given the correct location it was much happier.

A very tentative suggestion, as I don’t understand the mechanism by which it could produce your error, but elimination of possibilities is the name of the game.

Hi mate, thank you for your input. I'm not sure what the handset is able to provide that the direct connection from the mount to my laptop using FTDI cable and iOptron Commander wouldn't? 

Yes I can confirm that the GPS coordinates were showing correct. I found the coordinates from the iOptron Commander and also verified that on my phone. 

Ouch, just noticed your thread! I hope you will sort it out before October!
as per tests indoors....
Sadly, I do not remember which software can track how your motors perform and show the graph and other data output... Maybe PemPro or PECPrep (they are used to measure PEC) or something similar.... 
But I afraid, all of them will need active guiding and they are more about PEC.

What about the "old school" manual tests?

Simply release the clutches and turn it slowly, maybe you will feel something in RA, or, turn it in different speeds using the handset and keep your arm on the mount, - also listen... if you will feel some slight bumps or sounds... prepare the mount for the ride back....

:(

Edited by RolandKol

40 minutes ago, RolandKol said:

Ouch, just noticed your thread! I hope you will sort it out before October!
as per tests indoors....
Sadly, I do not remember which software can track how your motors perform and show the graph and other data output... Maybe PemPro or PECPrep (they are used to measure PEC) or something similar.... 
But I afraid, all of them will need active guiding and they are more about PEC.

What about the "old school" manual tests?

Simply release the clutches and turn it slowly, maybe you will feel something in RA, or, turn it in different speeds using the handset and keep your arm on the mount, - also listen... if you will feel some slight bumps or sounds... prepare the mount for the ride back....

:(

Cheers for the kind words mate. I do hope I get this sorted out before October as well mate. 

I think that sounds like a good plan, I'll bring out the mount shortly and listen and feel. 

I really am not sure what else can I do. 

@FLO might be able to advise something? 

6 hours ago, souls33k3r said:

Here's a short video of the polemaster adapter which is not secure enough to hold the polemaster in position and starts rotating with a slight force. I've never had such issue with the QHYCCD (red colour) adapter

Looks similar to the one for my Losmandy G11 that has grub screws in the other 3 holes that you leave a little slack while just using the 4th knurled one to tighten after rotating to the desired position. 

Peter 

• Like 1

Hi Ahmed, I never found a need for more than one screw to hold my polemaster in the iOptron adapter. If you are worried then screw a couple more bolts into the adapter to lock it up, I'm fairly certain that isn't the issue.

There was an issue with the CEM120 where it would jump and that turned out to be the firmware, I would suggest you download the latest firmware and install that and see if that fixes it, if it doesn't then I would request support from your supplier.

As many have said triy a manual rotation and if it doesn't jump then it is the firmware, if it does jump then it is the mount.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Anne S said:

I just had a thought. Something tells me you can only switch on R.A. guiding with the handset. I can't remember if mine wa on or off when it arrived but it should be on "allow R.A. guiding".

I'll double check what it says on the handset tomorrow. Worth a look. 

1 hour ago, whipdry said:

Looks similar to the one for my Losmandy G11 that has grub screws in the other 3 holes that you leave a little slack while just using the 4th knurled one to tighten after rotating to the desired position. 

Peter 

Ah ok makes sense. Cheers mate. 

21 minutes ago, Jkulin said:

Hi Ahmed, I never found a need for more than one screw to hold my polemaster in the iOptron adapter. If you are worried then screw a couple more bolts into the adapter to lock it up, I'm fairly certain that isn't the issue.

There was an issue with the CEM120 where it would jump and that turned out to be the firmware, I would suggest you download the latest firmware and install that and see if that fixes it, if it doesn't then I would request support from your supplier.

As many have said triy a manual rotation and if it doesn't jump then it is the firmware, if it does jump then it is the mount.

Cheers John. Well I ended up using a M4 screw and that fixed the rotation of the polemaster for sure. 

I think I might have fixed the jumping of the star issue but I will hold that secret close to my heart for now because if it doesn't work, then I will have to eat one of my hats. 

I just need a few hours of clear skies to try and test a few more things and will report back to my supplier who have been nothing short of brilliant so far helping me resolve my issues. 

Hello,

i am new to this game and am yet to buy my first proper mount, but I have done a lot of research on this and other mounts as they are on my wish list... just an idea, appologies if you already know this, but have you turned the encoders off while guiding, as it seems they don’t play well together and fight against each other, as they both want to do the same job, is this maybe your issue..? I know it can be an issue on the skywatcher mount that has the encoders, think it’s the version 8...

Like I say I am new to this so I may be completely off the mark, but good luck.. 

DP

Edited by WanderingEye
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, Freddie said:

You can’t turn off the encoders!!

Oh, ok well I know you can on the version 8 skywatcher Mount..thought it might be the same...oh well worth a try, but it still could be the issue, as the encoders are constantly trying to correct the mount position, and so is the autoguiding... 

23 hours ago, souls33k3r said:

Hi mate, thank you for your input. I'm not sure what the handset is able to provide that the direct connection from the mount to my laptop using FTDI cable and iOptron Commander wouldn't? 

There is a computer in the mount and a computer in the handset talking to each other. The Commander programme is different, runs on a different operating system, and probably communicates in slightly different ways.

it is probably OK, but these problems usually need step by step elimination of possible conflicts. It is like doing a factory reset and seeing if the problem persists. If it does you have eliminated one source of potential error.

So if it was me, and I profoundly hope it is not when my turn comes, I would test with the handset. ‘Cos if I have to go back to the supplier that is the first question they will ask me.