NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

One of the finest sights in astronomy

Littleguy80

2 minutes ago, Captain Magenta said:

I find day 3 is the worst. You’re praying for clouds just to get some sleep!

Some years back, in the days when we had proper weather, I recall having six or seven clear nights on the trot.  I was practically crying for a cloudy night by the end of it :D

James

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, JamesF said:

Some years back, in the days when we had proper weather, I recall having six or seven clear nights on the trot.  I was practically crying for a cloudy night by the end of it :D

James

The funny thing is that we could simply choose to go to bed and not observe. Somehow that option just never seems to occur to us when the skies are clear 

• Like 1

Reminds me of the office conversation......”it’s really quiet today isn’t it” then all hell breaks loose!

So, ssssshhhhhhhhhhhh, no one talks about astronomy weather, it only upsets the Astronomy Gods ☺️

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

During the war years my grandad who lived in Long Eaton Derbys used to talk about observing 6 nights on the trot under pitch black skies (you were for it if you were caught with a light on during the black out). He must have had a good fumble about in the dark in those days..............Dave

• Like 2

I've got Good(ish) to Good on Friday night, Good(ish) on Saturday but potential to go Good, Cracking on Sunday, Good early hours of Monday but if it goes Good before midnight, it could upgrade to Cracking!

Will indeed be interesting to see if that's what happens!!!

Well looks like I have pulled the short straw, but at least it will allow us some sleep😎

I can’t remember how long ago it was since we had clear nights, probably June.

1D71B356-2B6D-4C81-856E-9EB02D3EBD6D.jpeg

Edited by Jkulin
Typos

So I sit here tonight, exhausted, having observed 5 out of the last 7 nights. One night was cloudy, the other night I spent with my wife. She looked out at bedtime and said "It's clear outside tonight and you spent the evening with me, you must really love me!" She knows me so well. 

It's clear tonight but I don't think I've got anything left in the tank. The grim reality of work in the morning is dissuading me from another night out under the stars.

For those that are interested, I've written some observing reports from my sessions this week.

• Like 1