NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Greetings from WsM

Deck_Dark

Hi stargazers,

After lurking for info on various stargazing sites for a while, I’ve finally committed and joined a site, this site :)

I bought an Orion XT8 Dob a couple years ago, and after observing Jupiter and it’s moons through the eyepiece I’ve been hooked ever since.

Some recent additions to my setup are a Telrad, which is surpassingly large. As well as 9x50 Illuminated RACI. 

I’ve got a few questions about my setup, but I won’t pose them just yet, thought I’d say hi to everyone first and will have a look around the current threads before I post.

Cheers!

Ben

4693AB03-9420-4D92-A10A-FB5FB352E557.jpeg

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, Deck_Dark said:

Thanks for the nice welcome :)

Hi JamesF and John, nice to know there’s a few of us around the area . Have you got any favourite spots around the region?

I mostly observe from my back garden but I'm a member of Bristol Astro Society who have a small observatory not far from me so I can also observe from there.

I've heard that the National Trust car park at Sand Point is a pretty dark spot but I've not yet tried it myself.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, John said:

I mostly observe from my back garden but I'm a member of Bristol Astro Society who have a small observatory not far from me so I can also observe from there.

I've heard that the National Trust car park at Sand Point is a pretty dark spot but I've not yet tried it myself.

Thanks John, I hadn’t even thought of Sand Bay. I’ll check out the Bristol AS as well, would be great to visit an observatory.

22 minutes ago, Deck_Dark said:

Thanks for the nice welcome :)

Hi JamesF and John, nice to know there’s a few of us around the area . Have you got any favourite spots around the region?

John probably knows of better areas near you than I am likely to.  The skies are quite dark where I am so I don't really need to travel.

Obviously Exmoor is pretty good, but that's not somewhere you can just nip out to.  Looking at Google Earth I'd probably be tempted to head towards Axbridge.  Perhaps try the car park at the Webbington Hotel, or if you fancy something spooky, it looks like there's a car park opposite the church in Compton Bishop.  The yatch club site on Cheddar reservoir might be worth checking out, too.

James

59 minutes ago, JamesF said:

John probably knows of better areas near you than I am likely to.  The skies are quite dark where I am so I don't really need to travel.

Obviously Exmoor is pretty good, but that's not somewhere you can just nip out to.  Looking at Google Earth I'd probably be tempted to head towards Axbridge.  Perhaps try the car park at the Webbington Hotel, or if you fancy something spooky, it looks like there's a car park opposite the church in Compton Bishop.  The yatch club site on Cheddar reservoir might be worth checking out, too.

James

Some great suggestions there, thanks James. Do you just look for low populated areas on google earth, or is there a dark skies 'layer' or something similar that you've added?

Ben

Welcome from Land Down Under

You travel the universe in this forum

To add another dimension to you viewing, thought about solar

Simple to do

The had plastic cover of your Orion, has a small removable cap

Simply sticky tape some Baader Visual Solar Film to under side of cover, and you set

Lid Dob Baader Film.jpg

Welcome Ben, I'm quite new here as well. Or inexperienced. Take you pick! Haha.

Nice dob by the way!

You were asking above about a dark skies layer for GE. I don't think there is one per se, but I use light pollution map to tease out which places might offer the better views.

https://www.lightpollutionmap.info/#zoom=6&lat=7017101&lon=-323978&layers=B0FFFFFTFFFFF

It shows approximate light pollution in SQM and uses the Bortle scale which runs from 1 (very dark skies) to 9 (ouch, sorry!)

There are other environmental factors as well for seeing conditions beyond simple darkness, but this is the fundamental place to start. Once I find a dark area, I then check it out on Google Earth and see what roads are accessible to the public. My ideal spot is on a private road near where I live, quite high up so excellent views all-around, but I haven't worked up the nerve yet to ask the landowner if I can drive up there with my scope. The worst they can say is no, really.

Where I live at home isn't great, but I can still get some decent views in without loading the scope and driving out of town.

Happy viewing!