NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Maybe New Imaging technology that could see CCD and CMOS redundant.

Star101

Someone at my local astronomical society, when asked if they would move from DSLR to CMOS or CCD,  mentioned they were waiting for some new chips coming out in the near future. I didn't get chance to ask any more.

This evening, I did some surfing on doodle and came across this info. I was wondering if anyone has any more info or of any other technologies that may be appearing in the high street soon?

Super sensitive chips

Dave.

• Like 4

I imagine any new camera tech will quickly appear in mobile phones first as this is the biggest market and the price will come down very fast..

Alan

Edited by Alien 13

10 minutes ago, ollypenrice said:

If I were younger I might think differently but I suspect that I may turn into a CCD diehard dinosaur.

:Dlly

I am sure that the same was said of photographic plates but look at how a relatively tiny scope can now easily out perform the great 200 inch monsters even with a DSLR.....

Alan

13 minutes ago, Alien 13 said:

I am sure that the same was said of photographic plates but look at how a relatively tiny scope can now easily out perform the great 200 inch monsters even with a DSLR.....

Alan

I'm agreeing with you, not saying the opposite. I just think I'll probably die like a dinosaur, that's all!

Olly

• Like 1

Technology is always moving forward in it's differing roles. I think the Astro Boffins searching for that singularity event will be first in the queue for any ultra sensitive detection device that surface from this  (very early yet) News.

I will remain  faithful to my Atik 314L, and DSLR 1000D. My Astro Money Chest is all but depleted now anyway ?.

Ron.

Edited by barkis
  • Like 2

From reading the article this seems very promising and I really hope it is not just a hype made up by the media and PR people that we all have at the universities these days - unfortunately priorities at universities are now mostly about being seen by media and attracting students. But hopefully that is not the case in this case. Maybe I am just an old grumpy professor.....

14 minutes ago, ollypenrice said:

I'm agreeing with you, not saying the opposite. I just think I'll probably die like a dinosaur, that's all!

Olly

Sorry Olly I misread your post, exciting times ahead....

Alan

• Like 1

Absolutely correct! at last shorter exposure times.... greater detail and less weight to accomodate not ignoring power comsumption reduced,   The only drawback is more mobile phone users required, !!!  more communication networks hence more electronic pollution to deal with, will the new senser cope?       it will..           Henry b.

I am no expert in this...I just searched the net. So far I found this :)

SPAD appears to be the latest name. I could be wrong.

https://indico.cern.ch/event/522485/contributions/2145724/attachments/1282036/1937814/053116_FEE16_v1_corrected.pdf

And an actual camera :).... but not yet for AP ! And the pixel count is a bit low! This is 3D, it talks of 2D but I cant find that.

http://www.everyphotoncounts.com/files/Datasheet_64x32_SPAD_camera.pdf

I like this PF-SPAD sensor -

https://arxiv.org/pdf/1902.10190.pdf

OK, I know, its not Astrophotography, but its showing possibilities. for the "near" future!

Hopefully, its not just an idea any more :) 

• Like 1

On 02/05/2019 at 21:22, Star101 said:

I am no expert in this...I just searched the net. So far I found this :)

Hey, I do this all the time at work, and they all think I’m an expert, maybe it’s a good thing I’m about to retire:icon_mrgreen:

• Haha 2

one of the great joys of CMOS is the ability to have ultra short exposures during the star hopping calibration stage.  Moving the scopes cross hairs and seeing stars and DSO's moving across the screen in real time speeds up the set up time no end.  In particular the EQMOD circular search is very effective.

• Like 3

Interesting stuff. I wouldn't expect a large increase in performance from these cameras, quantum efficiency of existing sensors is already very high. The question is what the noise profile looks like without cooling, the article suggests improvements are possible here. Potentially this could make large sensors more affordable but we'll see what happens.

• Like 1

On 02/05/2019 at 21:22, Star101 said:

SPAD appears to be the latest name. I could be wrong.

No, this is not SPAD, it is QIS! Which claims to be better ...

As far as I can see you have very small, very shallow 'pixels', which can only hold a few electrons, but have read-noise of only ~0.2 electrons. You then read out at video rates and build up a picture that way.  You can also have single photon detection if you want. The improvement over SPAD seems to be that you don't have to do any fancy photon avalanching to get the low read noise, amongst other things. I guess one issue will be what happens if you have a bright source in the image which gives too many photons to count one by one!

NigelM

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, dph1nm said:

I guess one issue will be what happens if you have a bright source in the image which gives too many photons to count one by one!

NigelM

If QIS will not be able to perform as SPAD from the The example with the lamp above, - I will be waiting for SPAD :)
Interesting, how they will react on the light pollution :)

I have a very slight hope Astrodons will become dinosaurs once these sensors will hit the market :)

• Like 1

On 02/05/2019 at 18:53, Star101 said:

Someone at my local astronomical society, when asked if they would move from DSLR to CMOS or CCD,  mentioned they were waiting for some new chips coming out in the near future. I didn't get chance to ask any more.

This evening, I did some surfing on doodle and came across this info. I was wondering if anyone has any more info or of any other technologies that may be appearing in the high street soon?

Super sensitive chips

Dave.

It sounds to me like they meant chips as in a sub category of CCD and or CMOS as there are a number of new generation CMOS chips coming to the marked in 2019/2020 that are worth waiting for, as an example several manufacturers have full frame mono CMOS chips on the horizon, as soon as summer in fact. It seems less likely to me that they meant a new technology. If such new technology did become available I doubt we would be the first to see it used in our amateur astronomy cameras.

Adam

Edited by Adam J
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, Adam J said:

It sounds to me like they meant chips as in a sub category of CCD and or CMOS as there are a number of new generation CMOS chips coming to the marked in 2019/2020 that are worth waiting for, as an example several manufacturers have full frame mono CMOS chips on the horizon, as soon as summer in fact. It seems less likely to me that they meant a new technology. If such new technology did become available I doubt we would be the first to see it used in our amateur astronomy cameras.

Adam

I agree Adam. The more I looked into this the more I realised, new technologies are in the pipeline but will not be readily available for several years yet. And the conversation was for this year....As you say, most likely CCD/CMOS.

Either way, I look forward to the new cameras and how they compare to presently available products.