Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

BBC News - Light Pollution Article

Carbon Brush

I don't think this link has been mentioned elsewhere.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science_and_environment

Nothing particularly new or surprising.

However, any publicity for this problem/scourge is welcome.

There is the opportunity to comment on the article - if you log in.

My comment has been posted.

I have had a BBC login for a long time and nothing nasty has happened.
So we can trust the BBC!

David.

Almost 24 hours since this was brought to the attention of SGL members. The BBC does not yet have 100 responses on the web site.

So does this mean the vast majority of SGL members never visit this site?

Do the vast majority of members not care a bout light pollution?

Do the vast majority of members think that light pollution is not an issue worth challenging?

The BBC have had 110 responses. Mostly lamenting the loss of the sky and pointing out the futility of 'security' lights.
I recognised some of SGLers in there.

A few ill informed posts supporting 24/7 daylight, as you would expect.

The site is now closed for comments. However, as the BBC archive these sites, it can still be viewed for some time.

Thank you to the SGL members who took time to comment.

David.

The relentless march of light pollution is dreadful. It amazes me people continue to be "wowed" by the views from the ISS, when all they show is the appalling waste of society.

I have signed many petitions and sent quite a few letters to my local council regarding this subject. Things are changing a little around where I live, but when the council thinks its acceptable to have a dozen 500w+ lights surrounding its buildings what hope is there.

And without get political, cash strapped schools locally light them up all night with 100's of lights, as do the supermarkets, retail parks, it seems an unstoppable march!

On 18 April 2019 at 14:32, Carbon Brush said:

Almost 24 hours since this was brought to the attention of SGL members. The BBC does not yet have 100 responses on the web site.

Do the vast majority of members think that light pollution is not an issue worth challenging?

I'd like to read the article but your link is to the general science and environment page. Do you have a specific link to the actual page, Carbon Brush.  I searched the BBC site but could only find something written in 2005. 

On 18/04/2019 at 14:32, Carbon Brush said:

Over half of SGL members have never even posted on this site ...

Archived