Hello!

Stormchaser

Hello everyone!

I'm Giuseppe, IZ6GSM from Italy, and I moved to the UK (Isle of Lewis in Scotland, precisely) more or less three years ago.
I'm a mech and energy engineer, graduated here, and I have always loved everything regarding astronomy&co. since I was a small child. I still remember using my first little 60/450 Konus telescope to see the Moon and Jupiter's satellites, even if the definition was something not comparable to what it is possible to achieve now. I now have a SkyWatcher 200P on motor EQ5, and I'm saving money to upgrade this setup a bit, maybe going towards a SC OTA. Also, a Star Adventurer is my constant companion since some months ago, even if the clouds have severely impacted its usage.

I'm also interested in weather things, having a Davis weather station, that moved with me in the van all across Europe from my old Italian home! And radio ham/photography can be added to my hobbies too.
I've followed the forum for quite some time, on and off, but today I decided to register. Pleased to meet you all!!

Thank you, everyone, for the very warm welcome!

To answer laudropb, yes, we have very nice dark skies here, as soon as you reach the NW coast of the island in some places the only lights are far away on the southern horizon, and no more. The stars are literally endless, that's why I wanted to buy a star adventurer, so when the aurora is not on I could try some night sky imaging. Obviously when the weather collaborates, and that it's not very often.

Unfortunately, the summer here is not for astronomy observations, since there is way too much light, but the Noctilucent Clouds make a really nice 'distraction' from that.

Thank you again everyone!

wxsatuser - Thanks for all the info, let's hope to catch something with my equipment. Glad to find another Davis user!

Oldfort - Still didn't have the chance, but a trip to Orkney and Shetland is in the books for me, I definitely want to see those places. Yes here is calm (except for the wind) and really a great place to move for me. Thanks for the welcome!

Hello cletrac1922, great to hear from the other hemisphere! I have a bit of family down in Melbourne, but I still need to come there to Australia! Thanks!

4 hours ago, Stormchaser said:

Thank you again everyone!

wxsatuser - Thanks for all the info, let's hope to catch something with my equipment. Glad to find another Davis user!

Oldfort - Still didn't have the chance, but a trip to Orkney and Shetland is in the books for me, I definitely want to see those places. Yes here is calm (except for the wind) and really a great place to move for me. Thanks for the welcome!

Hello cletrac1922, great to hear from the other hemisphere! I have a bit of family down in Melbourne, but I still need to come there to Australia! Thanks!

I am about 2000kms north of Melbourne

Cairns is another 2000kms north of where I am

Did my high school days there after moving down from rural area, after mum and dad sold the farm in early 1960's

If you make it down this way, say hi, and show you some of our dark sky sites, and DSO's not visible where U are

My fathers side of the family emigrated from Isle of Argyle around 1810, and my mothers side around same era, and from lowlands

To give perspective size of Oz

If you superimpose Australia over Europe

Perth is London, Sydney is Moscow

John

• 2 weeks later...

Archived