Recently Browsing 0 members
No registered users viewing this page.
By The Admiral
I'm just starting to get to grips with my new iOptron GEM45 EQ mount, having spent some time cutting my teeth in astro-imaging using an Nexstar Alt-Az mount. Very much an EQ virgin!
I decided to image M81 & M82 as these were inaccessible with my old Nexstar, so it was new territory for me. I used my Altair Wave 104 f/7 ED triplet scope, Photoline 0.79x reducer and Fuji X-T1 (effective FL 560mm). ISO400. 60 x 90s lights and flats. I did take 20 darks but I found that using some old bias frames from an earlier session gave a better result. Stacked in AstroArt 6, processed in StarTools v1.6.393 RC2, and polished in Lightroom. I've yet to get to grips with this latest version of ST, so for this image I haven't used the full gamut of controls. I like to get as much detail as I can from my images, I don't do subtle! Fans of a naturalistic look may not approve .
At about the 9 o'clock position there is a small blue 'smudge', enlarged here. It does unfortunately reveal some trouble with my stars!
I had originally thought that this was NGC 2976, but Astronet shows that galaxy to be too far away. Anyone any idea?
Thanks for looking.
Having upgraded from canon 1000D to Nikon D5300 how do users of the 5300 find it for Astro I will be using with APT , and how do you take flats as I can’t use Av mode as there is nothing in tools menu to choose no lens , do you use in manual mode and look at histogram ? .
I thought i'd revisit this one, as i was never truly sure abut the processing originally.
So with this one, i sought to improve the stars (they're a big improvement) but also bring out more of the dark nebulosity. Did i go too far though?! Looking at it again today i think i may have. 🤔
Ha: 7 x 480s, 6 x 1200, 13 x 1200 (a little over 7 Hrs)
OIII: 9 x 1200s (3 Hrs)
RGB (with IDAS-D1 filter): 20 x 60s
The usual Flats & Bias, stacked in APP and processed in PS.
Gear used: Nikon D5300 (modded); SW 80ED (522mm FL); HEQ5-Pro; SGPro and PHD2.
The original version can be seen on the Astrobin link.
C&C welcome and clear skies folks!
ps - At the moment this is still at 100%, but i'll probably end up down-sampling it to about 50%. I don't think it can hold up to 100% tbh.
Edit - Here's the new, now much more toned-down, version. It's a clear improvement, so i'll have to keep reminding myself not to try and go for big & bright, when subdued nearly always ends up looking better!
Original, nasty over-bright version:
First things first, apologies for posting this one out of season. A combination of no astro dark, crappy weather, and being busy at work has meant that there's no imaging getting done at all these days. So, i've had to turn to old data to re-process, and this data set was an obvious candidate as i was never happy with how it came out originally. And looking back on it now with fresh eyes, boy did it need it!
Nikon D5300, SW 80ED, HEQ5-Pro.
3 x 1200s, 2 x 1380s, and 4 x 1500s of Ha
9 x 1200s of Oiii.
11 x 480s with an IDAS-D1, for RGB stars only
7 Hrs 54 Mins in Total.
Stacked in APP and processed in PS.
Combined as SHO (using a 70/30 blend of Ha/Oiii for the Sii).
The main differences this time were, using Starnet++ to create the starless versions, using more Ha in the synthesized Sii (70% instead of 50% last time), but mostly the improvement has come from toning down the stretch a lot (ok, a heck of a lot!) before making the colour map for the tone-mapping. From then on it was immediately apparent that i'd made a massive boo-boo first time round 🙈
I've included a 1080p rotated crop too, as i quite liked the framing.
Feels like ages since i last did any NB imaging. I almost forgot how much i enjoy it! 🙂
And rather embarrassingly, here's the original. Try not to laugh too hard! 😂 😂 😂