Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Over before it's begun

Roy

It looks like my return to imaging might be over before it's begun.I came home this evening to find that the people over the back of me has put a security light up that lights up the whole of my garden and my house.I've just spent a small fortune on new equipment that I wont be able to use.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Do you know your neighbour ? Might be worth a chat. I had a similar problem but they pointed it down more and I planted a large buddleia ( attracts butterflies , seems to keep leaves on in winter ) which shields the light. It does not come on very often.

John

I would....

1) Have a quite, polite word with them. If that don't work.

2) Contact council and explain situation.

3) Somehow construct a barrier between the light and yourself. problem is it's up very high so will be pretty hard to block it.

Good luck.

The law is on your side.

From the Environment Agency website: "Light pollution may be regarded as a 'nuisance' under common law, and is being added to the list of statutory nuisances in the Environmental Protection Act 1990"

Guidance notes on unobtrusive lighting available here

Council should be able to help.

Best of luck - I know what this is like.

Phil.

Nice of them to put the damn thing so high up too :hello2:

My next door neighbour's is above his bathroom window too. Luckily he knows I use a telescope now and then in my backyard and all I have to do is knock on his door and he'll switch it off. It really doesn't need to be that bright and it looks like your neighbour is using a similar floodlight more suitable for a football pitch. Looks like your neighbour is on another street so knocking on his/her door as and when needed would be inconvenient so a phone call might be better if you've got his/her number.

Best thing to do is have a word with them asap and explain the situation. The situation has potential for conflict (it was with me at first) but if you can resolve the situation amicably then it would be better. If that doesn't work then ring the council and take it from there but this has the potential of making an enemy of your neighbour - not good :p You may be lucky in that your neighbour will be reasonable about it but if he's spent money on a 'security' light then.... who knows?

Hope the situation gets resolved one way or another.

I had a woman across from me whose security light actually lit up my roof,it would shine in the bedroom like something out of close encounters.Iasked her(nicely)if she could alter the angle so it only shone down into her garden,got the door shut in my face so went to the police who went to her,no more security light problem,in fact i dont even see it on anymore(tempting fate)Maybe i'm lucky up here where the cops dont have a lot to do but you certainly do not have to put up with that light,most people dont realise just how high they have them set.

My next door neighbour has one of those as well. It was a bit faulty so used to stay on for ages, and come on randomly as well. I informed him that since it is a 1000 wat unit it costs around a fiver a night in electricity! I aint seen it since :hello2:

Point out how much they cost to run as well. When lit they drag 500w out, and when unlit they still draw current, dont know how much for the PIR.

There's something about my personality and demeanour that seems to always get me into arguments (had another last night with one of mums neighbours) but even I would at least try and have a word with the neighbour in this case. But absolutely dont put up with that.

I'd go along with what the others have said - have a friendly chat with the neighbour first. And don't wade right in about laying down the law, even though the law is on your side. That comes later, if the neighbour won't play. Start off by telling him/her about your hobby and how much pleasure it brings. If you do imaging, show some of your results.

I had a similar problem in France - church floodlighting in my case. The difficulty was compounded for me by the fact that the 'offender' was the authorities of the village itself; I don't get to visit the house there very often (even less so now with the £/€ rate!); and the local mayor speaks no English and my French is far from fluent! Nevertheless a nice courteous letter to the Mayor did the trick and we came to an arrangement.

Hope you get a similar favourable outcome in your case. You could point out that while you're out in the garden using the 'scope (you can always tell him you're out in the garden - even if you're actually observing remotely from the warmth of your living room!) - you can be playing the part of nightwatchman and keep an eye out for burglars. A little white lie I suppose but it may convince him.

Best of luck!

Hey I've got an idea. Why not invite them over for a drink and a look through your telescope? I will immediately become obvious what the issue is. Worked a treat for me and turns out my neighbour didn't even know the light was a nuisance. I have given up on the neighbour in front but I seem to have forgotten to trim the hedge this year. Quicker than bamboo this stuff isn't though :hello2: Nick

I've just had a quick word with my neighbour and although the man of the house wasn't in his wife seemed very nice and apologetic and she said that she would talk to her husband as soon as he gets home.

Of course this doesn't mean things will improve but at least it's a step in the right direction.

If I may be so bold as to make a point ... better hope that your neighbour doesn't browse the astro forums in his spare time - or at least edit your original post just a wee bit....

Good luck with the diplomacy anyway!

You may be right Pete, but I think I'll hold off on doing so until I see some results at which time I'd be more than happy to edit my original post and should the person in question happen upon this thread how ever unlikely I'd be only to happy to offer an apology should it be needed.

Of course there would be no need for the use of expletives or apologies if a little thought and consideration had been used in the first place.

I'm sure I'm not the first person who when suddenly confronted with such a situation has come out with both guns blazing.

You may be right Pete, but I think I'll hold off on doing so until I see some results at which time I'd be more than happy to edit my original post and should the person in question happen upon this thread how ever unlikely I'd be only to happy to offer an apology should it be needed.

Of course there would be no need for the use of expletives or apologies if a little thought and consideration had been used in the first place.

But how many folk have an astronomer as a neighbour.............:-)

Archived