M42 in RGB and Ha

peter shah

Ive wanted to get a nice rendition of Orion for ages but its one I always overlook as sky time is very precious in the UK and there is always something else to get. Its got to be the most imaged target in the sky but is it easy....I dont think so. The colour and tonal range is massive making it a huge task to process. It took me around 12hours to process this one.  Imaged in one night with my AG12 F3.8 Newt and Starlight Xpress H35, conditions were variable with light haze hindering the session, but to be honest I'll take what I can. We have had another very poor winter season with partial clear skies and rain as most of you already know. Exposure times were. 4x900 Ha 1x900 in R 4x840 in B 4x620 in G. Core exposures in RGB were 30s.
 Managed to increase the red signal with the H-alpha frames. Not Ideal but it is what it is! Calibrated with DSS, processed in Photoshop CS3 and Lightroom.

thanks for looking2077467973_OrionNebula2.thumb.jpg.ff8f3113c48988c884b1513e6eb6adc4.jpg

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think you nailed it!

Impressive amount of faint dust revealed and I think the colors are great.

I am always impressed when someone leaves an image up in full res and it doesn't disappoint.. I hope to do that some day! :)

Top right there is a faint blue line going towards the center, is it a diffraction spike or a satellite trail?

22 minutes ago, jjosefsen said:

Top right there is a faint blue line going towards the center, is it a diffraction spike or a satellite trail?

Thank you jjosefsen. Its a Satellite trail that needs attention in one of the blue frames. 

21 minutes ago, teoria_del_big_bang said:

It is certainly the most popular target, and it is a beautiful sight indeed, but not often you see so much detail.

You have definitely captured fantastic image and one to be proud of.

Steve

Thank you Steve 

Yep - superb result Peter. Those Powys skies are truly great when it stops raining (My wife comes from nr Newtown - when we used to visit her parents, it rained every single time, except once when it snowed! ? )

25 minutes ago, Z3roCool said:

Brilliant details! Are the diffraction spikes natural?

All natural spikes...not a fan of artificial ones.... The AG12 does suffer with big spikes...but i quite like them.

13 minutes ago, groberts said:

One to be proud of, very nice indeed, particularly like the dust captured and processed to produce exquisite detail. 

Graham

Thank you Graham

8 minutes ago, coatesg said:

Yep - superb result Peter. Those Powys skies are truly great when it stops raining (My wife comes from nr Newtown - when we used to visit her parents, it rained every single time, except once when it snowed! ? )

had the rain... just waiting for the snow...it will be here this weekend no doubt!

Just now, peter shah said:

All natural spikes...not a fan of artificial ones.... The AG12 does suffer with big spikes...but i quite like them.

Thank you Graham

had the rain... just waiting for the snow...it will be here this weekend no doubt!

It is why I asked as they look very subtle, unlike artificial ones. Very nice!

1 minute ago, Cozzy said:

Great image of this popular target, I never get tired of seeing it, especially one so well captured and processed.

Nice work.

Tim

thank you Tim

1 minute ago, wxsatuser said:

Very nice result from the big newt. :icon_salut:

I do love my Newt ?

32 minutes ago, peter shah said:

Thank you Graham

Beautiful picture, Peter. Lots of detail.

Mention of your diffraction spikes made me look closer. I've never really paid attention to mine before but the way your 'x' are orientated at 45 deg to horizontal, really adds to the aesthetics. Was this planned? Mine are always at random angles.

Regards

David

Just now, Peakedge said:

Beautiful picture, Peter. Lots of detail.

Mention of your diffraction spikes made me look closer. I've never really paid attention to mine before but the way your 'x' are orientated at 45 deg to horizontal, really adds to the aesthetics. Was this planned? Mine are always at random angles.

Regards

David

Thank you for noticing that David. It was planned and I always do it that way. Rightly or wrongly I like my FOV to be North South orientated.

Originally the spikes on the scope were turned so that I was able to position the camera N/S with out them running along the columns of the sensor. That way if I'm to use a camera without anti-blooming gates i am able to remove the blooms without damaging the spikes. I used to have an FLI camera without gates and spent ages repairing them.

5 minutes ago, peter shah said:

Thank you for noticing that David. It was planned and I always do it that way. Rightly or wrongly I like my FOV to be North South orientated.

Originally the spikes on the scope were turned so that I was able to position the camera N/S with out them running along the columns of the sensor. That way if I'm to use a camera without anti-blooming gates i am able to remove the blooms without damaging the spikes. I used to have an FLI camera without gates and spent ages repairing them.

Practical and aesthetically pleasing in one!! However, now you've given me even more to add to the long list of things to think about when we have clear skies again.

3 hours ago, bob-c said:

A lovely image Peter, showing great imaging and processing skills.

Bob..

Thank you Bob

3 hours ago, Hallingskies said:

so few subs...

Not out of choice...I only managed 1x15min  red sub.... but adding it with the Ha helped increase the signal...so I got away with it.

1 hour ago, Barry-Wilson said:

It really isn't an easy target to process and I couldn't agree more.  You've masterfully treated your data Peter - great dust, star control and colour.  Beautiful.

Thank you Barry, That means a lot coming from such a seasoned imager as yourself :thumbsup:

1 hour ago, Allinthehead said:

A beauty?

thank you

Archived