Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Listing Equipment

Bentley

Most of the Astro fraternity in this day and age, possess gear that not only looks Impressive, it does, and what's more it looks very expensive,which in most cases, it is.                    

If anyone is considering displaying their gear online, be it here, or anywhere else, make sure you  have good security measures in place.

Best not to encourage the would-be thief by revealing too much regarding location.  

Theft is rife these days, and it's not all cyber either.  The common night operating tea leaves are still prolific enough.

Ron.

I personally would not list my equipment, it is valuable, both cost and sentimental as a lot of it was left to me by a dear friend.

I have no intention of listing to would be tea leaves either, but I have marked equipment with a ultraviolet pen marker.

I also keep my equipment indoors, even though I have a shed, its not that secure.

Chaz

I think the main benefit is that knowing the equipment involved helps when queries are posted on things like eyepieces etc.

Otherwise the initial response has to be "what scope will this be used with ?".

But it's certainly a very much an optional thing to do :smiley:

I find it very interesting to see what kit people have.  Also some people forget (I've done it too) to say what equipment was used to capture an image. You can sometimes work it out from their kit list. 

I would suggest that in the interest of forum usability it's better to list equipment in long horizontally lines rather than tall vertical lists that take up large swathes of forum real estate. 

I find it strange that people worry about random thieves looking at posts and deducing from that who you are and where you live.  I've been on here a couple of years and I have no idea at all where any one of you live, or who you are.

Like others, I find it very useful to see what equipment is being used when reading posts.

As John says, it isn't compulsory, but I don't think it will be the primary source of someone deciding to rob you.

On ‎29‎/‎01‎/‎2019 at 18:40, RayD said:

I find it strange that people worry about random thieves looking at posts and deducing from that who you are and where you live.  I've been on here a couple of years and I have no idea at all where any one of you live, or who you are.

Like others, I find it very useful to see what equipment is being used when reading posts.

As John says, it isn't compulsory, but I don't think it will be the primary source of someone deciding to rob you.

Yes good luck to anyone who thinks "I must plot to break in and rob that 14" solid tube dob from his back room". As mentioned listing equipment is a good indicator and reference point when there is a discussion on observing circumstances or equipment particulars. It had never even occurred to me that SGL would be on a thieves radar.

On 28/01/2019 at 17:54, barkis said:

Most of the Astro fraternity in this day and age, possess gear that not only looks Impressive, it does, and what's more it looks very expensive,which in most cases, it is.                    

If anyone is considering displaying their gear online, be it here, or anywhere else, make sure you  have good security measures in place.

Best not to encourage the would-be thief by revealing too much regarding location.  

Theft is rife these days, and it's not all cyber either.  The common night operating tea leaves are still prolific enough.

Ron.

Theft is rife these days. My wife's car registration plates have disappeared twice in 12 weeks, off the drive ! 

26 minutes ago, Saganite said:

Theft is rife these days. My wife's car registration plates have disappeared twice in 12 weeks, off the drive ! 

I need that case Steve, watch out for the parking and speeding fines coming her way.

The plates will be used on an identical car to clone hers, watch out.

32 minutes ago, Saganite said:

Nasty.   Some low life will steal anything.A young guy not too far away from our house, found his  car up on concrete blocks, and all four wheels  gone. I class thieves as the lowest form of vermin, and the punishments handed out are a joke.

1 hour ago, Alan White said:

I need that case Steve, watch out for the parking and speeding fines coming her way.

The plates will be used on an identical car to clone hers, watch out.

The first set were found on an identical car, crashed in a ditch in Gloucestershire, no doubt having been used to perpetrate a crime somewhere,  about 8 weeks after they were stolen. It is a worry wondering what may come through the post, but there is little to be done. 

Police is a given, but the insurance company would never have occurred to me.

The insurance contract is between the individual and the company in relation to a specific vehicle in which the individual has a financial interest (just try insuring a car that someone else owns!), so a different vehicle (albeit with an identical number plate) would not be the concern of the insurance company or, from a financial point of view, of the individual. Telling the insurance company would just be an excuse for them to increase your premium with no additional risk to themselves.

Unless I am missing something ...

Thieves do steal to order, I was in the market for a particular car, when I drove the 45 miles to see it, thieves had stole it in the night, pulling out posts and using a half tennis ball to enter it, with a garage just round the corner with newer ones and easier access.

If there is a thief out there wanting to diversify in their items , listing here could be construed as window shopping...sorry, little toungue in cheek that one.

16 hours ago, Gina said:

As long as it was reported to the police and probably insurance company.

8 hours ago, Demonperformer said:

Police is a given, but the insurance company would never have occurred to me.

The insurance contract is between the individual and the company in relation to a specific vehicle in which the individual has a financial interest (just try insuring a car that someone else owns!), so a different vehicle (albeit with an identical number plate) would not be the concern of the insurance company or, from a financial point of view, of the individual. Telling the insurance company would just be an excuse for them to increase your premium with no additional risk to themselves.

Unless I am missing something ...

That is a very good point which we had not considered, just thought the crime number would be enough.

Archived